Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, at least of the people that wanted to buy one as soon as it came out.

Why does Manny not have his Pre yet? (oh god, I am starting to talk like the Goat!)

Well....it started last week. My friend at Sprint told me that he could sell me a Pre on Friday the 5th after 6 PM. But, Sprint changed the rules and only the Launch party people got their phone early.

I was ready to go get one on Saturday, so in anticipation of that, I went to my Sprint Kiosk (only one in town to have inventory on day 1) to get the scoop on when they open and to make sure that they really do have inventory. Well, I was greeted by my other buddy who works there and who told me that they will not sell to upgrade customers (that would be me) but only to new customers. He said they could do an order fulfillment and order me a phone and if I pay for overnight shipping I should have it by monday. Well, I was pissed...I told the guy that the owner of this chain of stores has no idea what a bad decision that is since they will be dealing with a lot of eager upgraders that will go home angry.

So I text my other friend and he told me to come by the other store he had been assigned to which is 60 miles away and that he could get me the phone on saturday. So, I get up early in the morning, drive over there, and, to my surprise, he's not there! He landed up being in the store in my hometown! Pissed me off because 40 mins before my arrival there, I told him that I was on my way, and he acknowledged that by texting me back. So I am standing there at this other store, waiting for my friend to call me back. This store had no internet and were under the same instructions of not being able to sell to upgrade customers. My friend finally calls me and tells me to come back to the other store and that he could order the phone for me and have it for me sunday. Fine, I drive back there and we get the paperwork going. I pay for the phone right away, and then he tells me...oh...tomorrow is sunday, it will be here monday. Well crap...one more day to wait! The store was fairly busy but they didn't run out of stock that day...that's the part that really irks me. They also told me about some rather angry upgrade customers that had to go home early!

Well, it gets even more interesting.... My other friend who also bought a Pre with me on saturday (added a line, had it billed to his bill so his was ordered as well) calls me this morning and tells me there's bad news. He just got an email from Sprint with the tracking info for our phones. Well, my friend who ordered the phone for us made a mistake and did not overnight the phone, but instead it is being send 2nd day, so I am not getting my phone until wednesday!!!

To add salt to the wound, I talk to my friend online a while ago, and her bf bought his Pre yesterday as well. They had issues porting his number over so they went back to that store to get it re programmed. Well, she was told there that today they ARE selling to upgrade customers as well! Yeah.... I am fuming right around now! I call them up, and they said "sorry, it's locked in to the phone that's coming for you, nothing we can do about it!"

Looks like I was right about the owner making a bad decision not letting upgrade customers buy Pres on launch day as well. The logic behind that decision was based on greed. Since he put out so much money getting all these phones, he wanted to just sell to new customers since Sprint pays more for new customers vs current customer contract extensions. Well, it bid him in the ***!

So...there you go, my Pre story in a nutshell.

I just hope my Pre will reward me with speedy operation, no dead pixels or screen leakage, and no crashing, no only partially lit keyboard, or screen turning blank when the keyboard is being opened or closed.

Tissue please!
    That SUCKS!
    Oh my god...very similar **** happened to me, but it was Sprint's fault.

Before Pre was released I went to the store and ask about it. Was told that they don't know anything about the phone, but if I sign up on the roster, I can be notified when it's available. I did that. Few days before Pre release they call me and ask me if I would rather they order the Pre for me and I would get it Monday instead of waiting in line. They said the line will likely be very long and I would waste a lot of time trying to get one. I said of course that's fine...I don't want to wait overnight for a phone or something if the line is long. Then I hear Sprint saying they don't expect the lines to be long...I thought...hmm...maybe I will go and get the phone Saturday after all.

I woke up early on Saturday, I was the first one there. But didn't get in line until I saw a couple of people...didn't want to think I was desperate. Waited for about 1 hour for the store to open. When I got in, they told me they couldn't give me my phones even though there is one available for me. They had ordered my phone already. I told them, what the hell...just give me the ones available now and give mine to someone else when it comes in. I don't now what the hell the problem was...but I didn't get my Pre...I'm so pissed. Mine will come monday, that is what he told me. So now I have no Pre. I got to play with it in the store...seems very nice device. Keyboard seem thin and hard to get a hand on it and type with one hand...but maybe because it was attached to the security device thingy and I couldn't hold it in my hands right.
    I'm sure you're not the only one. All of us who are waiting for the GSM version are still... er... waiting.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Manny NOOOOOOOOOOOO! you out of all people? Don't sweat it bro cause the best things come to wait!
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Man I feel your pain! I went to two Sprint retail stores today and they gave me the same line about not selling to upgraders. What is going on? This can't be official Sprint policy. Let's riot!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nxp3 View Post
    Oh my god...very similar **** happened to me, but it was Sprint's fault.

Before Pre was released I went to the store and ask about it. Was told that they don't know anything about the phone, but if I sign up on the roster, I can be notified when it's available. I did that. Few days before Pre release they call me and ask me if I would rather they order the Pre for me and I would get it Monday instead of waiting in line. They said the line will likely be very long and I would waste a lot of time trying to get one. I said of course that's fine...I don't want to wait overnight for a phone or something if the line is long. Then I hear Sprint saying they don't expect the lines to be long...I thought...hmm...maybe I will go and get the phone Saturday after all.

I woke up early on Saturday, I was the first one there. But didn't get in line until I saw a couple of people...didn't want to think I was desperate. Waited for about 1 hour for the store to open. When I got in, they told me they couldn't give me my phones even though there is one available for me. They had ordered my phone already. I told them, what the hell...just give me the ones available now and give mine to someone else when it comes in. I don't now what the hell the problem was...but I didn't get my Pre...I'm so pissed. Mine will come monday, that is what he told me. So now I have no Pre. I got to play with it in the store...seems very nice device. Keyboard seem thin and hard to get a hand on it and type with one hand...but maybe because it was attached to the security device thingy and I couldn't hold it in my hands right.

Wow that sucks, but you have 2 days less to wait! When they say they ordered it for you, did you already pay for it? Because I did all the paperwork already and I did get an email from Sprint giving me the tracking information. If they ordered it, then you should have gotten all that too by now! I am hoping for you that it really does come in tomorrow, if it doesn't you can always go to the store and demand a phone from their stock. I don't see how they would order it for you without doing the paperwork and either paying for it right then and there like I did, or having them put the cost of the Pre on your next bill.

There is one bit of silver lining here for me, although it has nothing to do with the series of events causing me to be pre-less right now, and that is that I don't have to do a MIR, since I am a business owner and am on a business account, they sold me the Pre for 199 plus tax!!
    Sold out in our nearby stores... (not worried with daily shipments - as reported here) - though I am warning both brothers about what I am reading here...

I JUST wanna buy it for my youngest bro so I CAN PLAY with it... that'll happen later this week =)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    oh man. This DOES suck. You've been waiting with the longest of us. Soon, though.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Sprint Wireless Advantage Club member here and they have a hold on when we can buy one. Looking to wait another couple months before I join Palm Pre Nation.... I'm willing to wait for my $20 a month plan....

Well, assuming Sprint doesn't fire all of my friends in here Kansas City.
    I am going on vacation on June 11th to the 19th so I gotta save my cash for that. But once I get back getting the Pre is going to be #1 on the list. I got $100 saved for it and I want to get it at my old work, BBY so i can get the instant rebate.

Adam
    That is so odd. I bought mine at a corporate store and had no problem upgrading. I only got $75 off so I had to pay an arm and a leg but I had expected that. My girlfriend's was a new line so hers was $299 and a MIR that I need to send in tomorrow.
    I didn't run all over town but was planning to. I was assured by the local non-corp store that I would be able to get my phone on Saturday. It turns out that they won't be getting them at all until July 1. So.. the incredibly helpful owner called a buddy of hers that did get access on launch day. They ordered mine on Saturday morning at 5am pacific so that all the east coasters didn't deplete the inventory. Amazing service! Unfortunately, he chose to save me the $12 over night fee and I'll have mine either on Tuesday or Wednesday now. Sigh.

My card has been charged though - at least I know its on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoopra9457 View Post
    Sprint Wireless Advantage Club member here and they have a hold on when we can buy one. Looking to wait another couple months before I join Palm Pre Nation.... I'm willing to wait for my $20 a month plan....

Well, assuming Sprint doesn't fire all of my friends in here Kansas City.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat but I don't think I'm willing to wait the 90 days that I keep hearing. If I don't hear something sooner than that I might jump ship to the iPhone. I know! But I don't have the option to get a Pre like you all do.
  15.    #15  
    Well, this delay gave me a chance to order the official Palm car charger which none of the local stores have yet.

I don't want any of the generic chargers that the locals stores carry.
    Wow Manny my friend, that really stinks! I guess on the bright side you get to check out all the issues beforehand by looking at the forums. My Pre has been great though. Waiting longer may just make the pot sweeter for you.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Wow Manny my friend, that really stinks! I guess on the bright side you get to check out all the issues beforehand by looking at the forums. My Pre has been great though. Waiting longer may just make the pot sweeter for you.
    I sure hope so. It was just a strange chain of events. I hope my Pre will be like the Goats in that it has no hardware issues. How do you like the keyboard, does it work well with your hoofs? When you type a response in the forum using the Pre, does it auto format the text input field so you can see all that you are typing, or do you have the pan back and forth horizontally to see what you have typed?
    ur not alone, i just got back from my bachelor party weekend. No pre and no plan yet on where to get it.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    ur not alone, i just got back from my bachelor party weekend. No pre and no plan yet on where to get it.
    I went in on Sunday afternoon (@ 5PM) because I was traveling on Saturday. I'm 14 on the wait list. I called before I went in and he would not disclose over the phone the length of the waitlist, but told me if I came in he expected I would get mine when the next shipment comes in. I wonder how long I'll have to wait for 14 phones to show up at my store in Massachusetts. I was also told you cannot be on more than one wait list at a time or you will get kicked off the previous list.

I did get to play with the demo unit for about 15 minutes. I'm impressed and very excited to get my own Pre.

And I promise to update the phone's software, read the manual and other posts before I ask any stupid question.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I went to a corp store to fix my daughter's Centro and they told me they handed out fliers, vouchers, for the Pre before the store opened. They were expecting another shipment in on Monday but after that it would be about three weeks before they got another. Sprint was also not allowing it's employees and third party retailers to buy the Pre and put it on their employee plan until Oct. I was going to wait until the end of the month to get mine but if they get a shipment on Monday I think I'm going to haul @$$ and get mine now.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast