Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The tip calculator one can be solved now by just browsing here from the phone:

Tip Calculator for Mobile Phones
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherman View Post
    As a fellow Instinct user - to get from a troubled 800 to the Pre... and I have had almost every other Treo made, I was somewhat suprised that the Pre was missing some real "neat" stuff...

VVM is a must if you've ever had it, it's hard to do without.

Call announce, neat too; and no I may not really "miss" it, but it is cool and should be on the Pre.

Voic Command... sure it will be offered as a third party app but there is no button for it.

Tactil feel when scrolling... again, just neat.

Two batteries, charger, multiple cables.

All in all, the pre is great device and the Instinct was a fun device, there really is no comparision but I would have really liked to see some "neat" (fun) stuff from the Instinct on the Pre.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Jon
    Agreed. Those are the only things I miss from the Instinct that I can think of, the tactile feel/vibrations that it gave you while scrolling or tapping, and the Visual Voicemail. Also, the idea of the second battery was always great, I kept it around, but I ended up never actually using it, so it was really just the idea of it that was nice.

But for a 1.0.x device, I think it's excellent, and I can't wait to see what developers come up with soon.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    i hate when your in the phone card, theres no "contacts option" or is there?, you have to open the contacts card.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitty917 View Post
    i hate when your in the phone card, theres no "contacts option" or is there?, you have to open the contacts card.
    It's the button in the top right hand corner of the phone card, it brings up your contacts phonebook.

ETA: Actually, it appears you can touch anywhere in the green above the number keys, and it'll pull out the contacts. The back gesture takes you back to the number pad, all this while still in the green phone app. I thought it was only the little image that looks like an address/personal phone book, but tapping anywhere above the number pad seems to work fine.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
    It's not that hard to multiple .15 x $x.xx in the normal calculator that's in there.
    Do not underestimate the stupidity of "Smart phone" owners.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by FONdude View Post
    1) I hate that there are reports of what appears to some potentially serious issues i.e. dead pixels, crashes etc. But, I'm reasonably comfortable that Palm will quickly address these and I take into consideration this 1.0 launch of new hardware and software platfoms.

2) However, I hate the fact that this board seems to have been infiltrated by Pre-haters (Apple fan boys?) that are taking every opportunity to play-up any/all reported issues, even more.
    Hopefully you are correct about "quickly addressing" the issues with the dvice. If it ends up anything like the 700p incident, it is OVER for Palm. There is no way they can treat the Pre like they did the ROM on the 700, unless they are just plain stupid and want to close their doors.

If things that DEFINITELY need fixed, dont get fixed in a reasonable amount of time, this board will be a mirror image of the 700p days. I dont want to see that happen, cause I know what it'll be like. I mean it seems to be getting there already.

Heck, look at Engadget Mobile. Already an article up about "Palm Pre trouble roundup" It's just not going well for Palm at the moment as a whole I dont think.

I pray to God they get everything fixed ASAP, cause utter chaos will happen if not.
    Global Posts
    20,084 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    you can't forward text messages either.. i mean every phone that has been released in the last 5+ years can do that.

there is also no LED notifications..so you always have to wake the phone up to check for any messages/calls/whatever which wastes more battery rather than simply looking at a LED light to inform you of the phone status. atleast an audible notifications (such as a BEEP every X minutes) to tell you there are missed events would have been sufficient.

some of these are such basic things that i wonder why they didn't include them.
    The iPhone is going to get this in 3.0. So it took about two years. Stop sending chain sms. Lol!

I believe an app or palm may allow the ball to blink for notifications. At least that is what I'm hoping for.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    It's the button in the top right hand corner of the phone card, it brings up your contacts phonebook.

ETA: Actually, it appears you can touch anywhere in the green above the number keys, and it'll pull out the contacts. The back gesture takes you back to the number pad, all this while still in the green phone app. I thought it was only the little image that looks like an address/personal phone book, but tapping anywhere above the number pad seems to work fine.

ok im blind, thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    Hopefully you are correct about "quickly addressing" the issues with the dvice. If it ends up anything like the 700p incident, it is OVER for Palm. There is no way they can treat the Pre like they did the ROM on the 700, unless they are just plain stupid and want to close their doors.

If things that DEFINITELY need fixed, dont get fixed in a reasonable amount of time, this board will be a mirror image of the 700p days. I dont want to see that happen, cause I know what it'll be like. I mean it seems to be getting there already.

Heck, look at Engadget Mobile. Already an article up about "Palm Pre trouble roundup" It's just not going well for Palm at the moment as a whole I dont think.

I pray to God they get everything fixed ASAP, cause utter chaos will happen if not.
    Hopefully, some of the this negative press and these impressions, along with the Apple announcement tomorrow will get Palm and Sprint mobilized on addressing all of these issues. I would hate for this to turn into another Xbox 360 debacle.
    Its amazing how many people need a tip calculator....

Really??

btw...A LOT of new users on these boards...
  11. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    what I would like to see in the palm pre:

- Customize Launcher - remove any app I want (even built-in ones), create more or less menus (right now there are 3) and put ALL the settings icons (the ones on the third menu) into ONE "SETTINGS" icon. No need for more than that.

- Customize Quicklaunch - I love how you can add web bookmarks right to your app launcher, but I would love to have the option to customize what 5 Icons are in the quick launcher! Including the ability to add a Web link, App, or PHONE NUMBER there!

- Change sms/mail/im sounds

- Task sync to google/exchange/remmemberthemilk.com

- MSN IM in messaging

- Video recording (seriously??)

- Auto Spell Checker

- Better OFFLINE support, I ride the subway a lot and on the iPhone/Blackberry you can use apps like GoogleMaps or browser on the subway because the device caches all the data u use.

- Zoom in the browser - this browser is amazing but sometimes it limits how far in I can zoom, and sometimes it's not far enough. In the iPhone you can zoom until a single letter is the size of the whole screen - I WANT THAT.

- Better Google Maps - yes, I know this is not for palm but still - I want Google maps with STREET VIEW and Transit information

- Support for DocX and XLSX documents (office 2007). Actually, any office file or PDF I tried to download through the web got a "FILE COULD NOT BE OPENED" error.

- Tap instead of Swipe - OK, the swipe thing is cool, but to tell you the truth, I'd rather just tap the left side of the ball to go back and the right side to go forward.. I don't need the fancy swipe, it's not like tapping it does anything else!

- Contact GROUPS - Outlook has it, Gmail has it, Facebook has it. heck - every phone in the WORLD has it. I want to organize my contacts into groups so I can assign ringtones, mail a list or just scroll through my ex-girlfriends list

- B E T T E R B A T T E RY - i'm hoping Seidio or somebody would save us here because this batter is a NO GO. Right now I'm averaging 6 hours of use per charge.

- TAP AND HOLD - I wish you can hold your finger instead of tapping for a "right click" (like on WinMobile or Gphone), it would also be extremely handy as a shortcut for opening links or applications in a new app window! I heard people here were complaining they can't have two chat windows open at the same time. The Pre is totally capable of doing that, Palm just needs to add the software. If I can tap once on a conversation to go to it, and TAP AND HOLD to open it in a new window, that would be MAGICAL.

- Accelerometer - it seems only the web browser and the pictures app really use this thing, I wan't ALL the applications to turn when I flip the device!

- Video playback - this video application looks nice, but it seriously needs some more format support. MOV, DIVX, XVID, MPEG2, MPEG4, WMV would be a good start.

- Visual Voicemail - my favorite feature on the iPhone. STEAL IT PLEASE!

- Mass Text - Seriously ??

That's it for now, Palm - please get on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    The iPhone is going to get this in 3.0. So it took about two years. Stop sending chain sms. Lol!

I believe an app or palm may allow the ball to blink for notifications. At least that is what I'm hoping for.
    I'm surprised the screen saver from the Treo Pro/800w didn't make it to the Pre. Makes things a lot easier to see.
    Only three things I don't like are the lack of Visual Voicemail, only having 8Gb of storage space (I'm picking and choosing which albums are to be sacrificed via iTunes as I type) and the fact that apparently, Sprint network coverage still absolutely SUCKS in the Lithonia area of Georgia....

However so far none of said complaints are deal breakers yet, I've got WiFi in my place so browsing the web doesn't require EVDO (which switches to roaming seemingly every other second), i've still got my 16gb iphone for music storage and Visual Voicemail (and calling since i get 5 bars of 3G with it) and every other little quip can easily be addressed via ota update....

The plusses for me outway the negatives. TRUE multitasking, no hang ups or crashes, compact design, outstanding camera clarity, MMS ability (take THAT my pre 3.0 updated iPhone!!) are all top notch...
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    what I would like to see in the palm pre:

- Customize Launcher - remove any app I want (even built-in ones), create more or less menus (right now there are 3) and put ALL the settings icons (the ones on the third menu) into ONE "SETTINGS" icon. No need for more than that.

- Customize Quicklaunch - I love how you can add web bookmarks right to your app launcher, but I would love to have the option to customize what 5 Icons are in the quick launcher! Including the ability to add a Web link, App, or PHONE NUMBER there!
    You can replace any quick launcher app with any app you want.

Just hold and drag.
    The only thing I hate is the lack of a virtual keyboard. The calculator is pretty much useless too. I wish it would have had an option for an advanced calc. I'm hoping these things will get sorted out in future updates. We have to give them time. The phone just came out yesterday after all...
    Quote Originally Posted by gut46 View Post
    I hate that: (coming from my instinct)

NO Visual Voicemail!

NO ability to mass text! (I want to mass text my new # to everyone)

NO spot for address in contact information

NO way to delete the extra contacts that were added by syncing
    facebook/gmail/aim

NO "checkin for traffic" or "summary of directions" in Sprint Nav

NO speed dial
    NO tip/unit calculator

I'm gonna have to think about this....

But on the other hand...love the slider,love the smoothness, love the apps, love multitasking..

HMMMMMM......
    you CAN mass text!! it has to be a NEW text and just start typing the name you want to send and then select it when it comes up. That persons name will be in a "button" and the cursor will be OUTSIDE of it and now you can start typing the NEXT entry...wash, rinse, repeat. I just tested it b/c I thought I ran across it yesterday and I sent a mass text to 7 people real quick and they all responded.

The address info was already addressed.

Did you REALLY say there is "NO SPEED DIAL?!?!?!" Dude, you may want to actually READ the instructions or that neat little guide that came with the pre because you can set a speed dial for EVERY SINGLE ONE of the buttons on the QWERTY keyboard!! Ok, since you're too lazy to read it from the above sources I'll go ahead and tell you since I'm a nice guy...
    -Go to Contacts
    -Select the contact you want
    -Hit the "Contacts" tab WHILE looking at that specific contact's card that's showing their info
    -The Second option is "Set Speed Dial", choose that
    -It then lists ALL numbers you have in for that contact and asks you to choose the # you want to use to speed dial them with, choose the appropriate #
    -Then a list with all of the QWERTY buttons comes up and you just need to press the one you want for that contact
    -It then shows the contact's information card with "speed dial x" in gray below the number you chose.
    -To use speed dial, just slide open keyboard and hold that letter down for 1-2 seconds and it automatically launches the phone and dials the contact.

All of the other gripes are going to be fixed rather quickly in due time, I'm pretty confident in this. Loving the phone so far and can't wait until we get more apps!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    that you can't customize alerts and sounds like prior Treos
    Quote Originally Posted by DannKnee View Post
    The only thing I hate is the lack of a virtual keyboard.
    AH YES!!! One I forgot!!

A virtual keyboard would indeed be great. I HATE having the phone in landscape and browsing and have to go into portrait and slide out the keyboard to type in a web address. Thats probably the number one thing i'd want in a new OTA software update or in teh app catalog...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I hate that when I say IM (as in Instant Message), autocorrect switches to I'm. I also hate that when I say ID (as in caller ID), it switches to I'd. I'm smart enough to actually type the word I mean, don't switch it on me damnit.

... Surprisingly that's the only thing I can think of that I hate about it.
    Given that there is a translation file in PalmOS, maybe you can find such a file on the Pre when it is a USB drive and make a change to it?
    Major one for me: No force roaming option. They had it on the Centro, they could have put it on the Pre.

Everything else can be fixed with software updates. Whether they will be and when they will come out is a mystery.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast