1.    #1  
    Okay, so I've had the Pre for two days now (not 48 hours, but you know what I mean). Yesterday, in "playing" mode, I was positively struck with the (somewhat glitchy) coolness and elegance of the device, but disappointed with some of the things the Pre doesn't do well (yet). Those are pretty well discussed so far, so no reason to bring them up again.

Today, however, in actual use, I've been far more impressed with the device. Just the beauty of opening the keyboard and typing "Starbucks," then hitting Google Maps, and wham! There's the closest one. The simplicity and speed is really striking compared to any other phone I've used. And by "speed," I mean quickness in accomplishing the task, not simply straightline speed in terms of how quick applications open, etc.

Another example: I was doing some quick research for a parent of a child attending my son's birthday party. The search started with Google, but then involved a few other sites. The other parent was impressed, as was I, at how easy it was to open multiple Web pages and move back and forth between them to get the particular question answered. There's just no other smartphone on the market that could have done the same thing so easily, if at all.

I must say that after actually using the Pre for real tasks, as opposed to just checking for features to compare to other smartphones, my opinion of the Pre has been elevated considerably. And it was, ultimately, pretty high to begin with.
    Last edited by wynand32; 06/07/2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Thank you!
    This was EXTREMELY helpful to me.
    I needed to read how the thing works in the real world and not just feature by feature.
    I have to agree, from my wife and I:

day two: battery isn't so bad when I'm not hammering on the device all day, my wifes is still about 60% +, mine didn't start with a full charge, so it's under half but going strong. I'm in IT and I abuse my smart phones (it's why I love the treos, both palm and winmo), so I know I'll need a second one for sure, but I had 2 extended batteries and I would use up both on some days.

Texting, email, navigation are all amazing. My exchange works great, though I have no security. type a contact name, hit enter or tap the one I want, even with all the gmail additions, no big deal. The phone app could be better, but phone calls are clear and the signal is good, and the app is definitely very usable, just different. I'm starting to be able to one hand it like my old treo. There is "some" lag when opening the device, but like any thing, that's a lot to pull from memory, this is a mobile pc, not just a phone.

The more I use it, the more I know i'll be happy with it. I know I will have to adjust the way I do a few things and wait for a few apps, but over all i'm very satisfied. I knew what I was buying though. I did my research first.

My wife is extremely happy, not coming from a smart phone at all, she thinks it's the bee's knees.
    I actually quite like my new toy, however I'm still disappointed with the keyboard. I like what the device can do and what the device will do with updates and more feedback from users. I'm sure Palm is taking the word on the street very seriously.

I will, most likely, exchange my device with one that doesn't have so much light leakage on the bottom left corner. What's good though is that when I do the new device, restoring my settings and PIM info will be a snap due to everything being saved "in the cloud".
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I had high expectations to start with, and after the first wow factor wore off I was hit pretty hard with disapointment. Missing features mostly, things I expected to be there.

BUT NOW, after real world use for a full day, I would never want to use a phone without the multitasking that the Pre can do.

In real world situations being able to flip from one app to another seems so natural. From emails to web, pandora works beautifully with my stereo bluetooth headphones. I mean this phone does have fulltime real multitasking. The notifications bar is extremely well thought out.

The app developers are going to make a fortune, as we all mold our own phones into what we each need.

I am so excited to see the OTA updates palm and sprint give us, the things that will make this phone realize its full potential.

Two thumbs way up from me.
    Last edited by welance; 06/07/2009 at 06:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    I actually quite like my new toy, however I'm still disappointed with the keyboard. I like what the device can do and what the device will do with updates and more feedback from users. I'm sure Palm is taking the word on the street very seriously.

I will, most likely, exchange my device with one that doesn't have so much light leakage on the bottom left corner. What's good though is that when I do the new device, restoring my settings and PIM info will be a snap due to everything being saved "in the cloud".
    Probably best to wait a bit to see if Palm can figure the issue - exchanging in a phone for another with the same issue is annoying
    So far, so good... Hardware for me has been fine but I've gotta tell you, they need to keep things fresh with theses updates and the app store or apple is gonna eat them for lunch... If I see video record, on-screen keyboard, more useful apps hit their store, in general, good support, then I will be a lifer!
    I played with it a lot yesterday but spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get my 755 contacts over to the Pre (my fault, not an issue with the Pre or the contact transfer utility).

Got the contacts taken care of today and have been using the phone like I will be normally and am totaly enamored with the manner in which I can do my work activities. So seemless from one app to the next, exceptional tools that make me more productive. Lovin this phone!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Rasp View Post
    So far, so good... Hardware for me has been fine but I've gotta tell you, they need to keep things fresh with theses updates and the app store or apple is gonna eat them for lunch... If I see video record, on-screen keyboard, more useful apps hit their store, in general, good support, then I will be a lifer!
    They'll probably focus on bug fixes first (and maybe video).
    I was little disappointed about the sync options yesterday. But found a way to clean up my contact list. Today im actually starting to love my phone. The only draw back is my HTC Touch had better reception where i live. But no big worries.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Like probably everyone else, day 1 was spent "playing" with it. I've since added numerous web sites. Man they are so much easier to read that what my Instinct did. I also plugged it into my computer and fired up iTunes. I only have about 3gb on my ipod at present. It loaded them all very quickly.
    The sound through the speakers is what one would expect but way louder than the Instinct.
    The camera is pretty awesome, quality is very good.
    The battery seemed to last longer today.
    Still have not been able to get the Touchstone to charge, will probably return it for another one next week.

Up next, day three...
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I must say that after actually using the Pre for real tasks, as opposed to just checking for features to compare to other smartphones, my opinion of the Pre has been elevated considerably. And it was, ultimately, pretty high to begin with.
    This is what all us iPhone owners try to tell people who are feature snobs, and you said it here pretty elegantly. I played with the Pre in the Sprint store today and I could definitely tell that even though it's missing some features it's a pleasure to use.