Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Both Sprint and Palm needed a homerun and sadly the Pre isn't it. I've been amped up for the Pre a while and have been eagerly awaiting writing apps for it. Unfortunately based on my time with the device today I realized it just isn't what we all thought it was going to be. The fact that they get *basic* things so wrong has made me realize that both companies are dead.

It's over guys, enjoy the Pre but I don't see Palm being around in 2 years. Sprint will get bought out.
    Seems fine to me (for a first gen phone at least). Also Sprint is 3rd place in subscribers but the amount of fiber they own makes them worth quite a bit. They won't be bought out anytime soon and certainly not because some folks aren't impressed with their current flagship device.
    Please try and give your threads a title that's a little more descriptive.

Please Note Sticky at top of Pre Forum.

Thanks,
    Berd
    I'll bite.

Palm will survive if they have sense enough to address all the concerns listed ASAP. But is anyone forwarding their complaints directly to Palm? Griping on boards alone may do no good if Palm doesn't get wind of complaints in a timely manner. Do your part as a consumer, report the gripes directly to Palm.

To me, Sprint really needs to get to LTE/4G as fast as possible to stay in the game. JMO. They do have better phones than Verizon and are less butchered, but for some reason Verizon still has more customers. CS was the reason I left but people claim it's improved. However stories of in-store experiences trying to get the Pre make me think otherwise. Makes me want to order online when that option becomes available, if I get the Pre at all. They really need to get their act together STILL, IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
    Both Sprint and Palm needed a homerun and sadly the Pre isn't it.
    Well, I respect that that is your opinion and some here share, but I respectfully disagree.

I think Palm got a lot right, even the basic stuff. And the consistent sellouts indicate that this is a homerun as of right now for both companies. There's plenty of room for improvement and bugs to be fixed, but it's a remarkable first effort. It's well-reviewed and selling briskly...what else can you ask for?
    ^ Where's your official Pre review post, BTW?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I love the phone, but I would hardly say the fact that its selling out makes it a huge success considering the supply was extremely limited. I mean Best Buy only got somewhere between 1000-1500.
    You are making this prediction just one day after the pre was released to the public? I think a little premature to think it is either a success or a failure.

I've been impressed with mine in that it is a brand new OS. If they continue to develop and improve on it, I see no reason it cant compete in the smart phone market with the other guys.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    they got way more right than wrong.....Apples first try was usable for email.contacts.cal.
    Folks could have said this kind of thing about the iPhone when it came out. It's been missing copy/paste and mms FOR YEARS, but *finally* these omissions are being addressed. Palm will address many of these concerns quickly in the coming firmware revisions. The Pre hasn't even been out for 2 days yet. Give them a chance!
    Verizon
    I imagine the WebOS is a good start and if they keep making improvements it will do well... the Pre may not last but imagine there will be newer Palm models with the OS. Sprint will be hurting because Verizon and ATT WILL get the phone eventually or a better Palm phone with the OS. They'll be better off it's not a Pre model or at least all the bugs worked out like the bad screens and such.

Both Sprint and Palm needed a homerun and sadly the Pre isn't it. I've been amped up for the Pre a while and have been eagerly awaiting writing apps for it. Unfortunately based on my time with the device today I realized it just isn't what we all thought it was going to be. The fact that they get *basic* things so wrong has made me realize that both companies are dead.

It's over guys, enjoy the Pre but I don't see Palm being around in 2 years. Sprint will get bought out.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Sprint is the only carrier operating in the black. They have money in the bank, enough to pay all debts. They will not be bought out anytime soon. There is a better chance of AT & T or Tmobile being bought out than Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    ^ Where's your official Pre review post, BTW?
    You know...I wasn't gonna do one...but why not?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I've been enjoying my time with the Pre and would hardly call it a failure... rather, it's more of a glimpse into what the future holds for Palm. They have been successful at launching a new operating system on a new device, and that alone is a huge accomplishment that they should be applauded for. The little things will get worked out over time, just as Apple has done with the iPhone, and in 2 years' time, Palm users will be laughing, thinking back to how meager the first-gen Pre features were by comparison. (Trust me, I think about this often, being a two-generation iPhone owner.)

If the iPhone taught me anything, it's that the more a device is capable of, the more the user will want and expect from it. We're just all a tad spoiled by this modern technology, but I appreciate it all, remembering the quaint Atari 2600 from my childhood or my first personal computer, the Commodore Amiga 500. Oh how I loved that stuff in the day, never dreaming that things would progress so far even in just 20 or 30 more years! Just imagine where we'll be in 20 or 30 more years...
    sprint CS did and still does SUCK

So did u get the 1st iPhone? And did u return it for a Razr? The 2 phones r totally different.Its a brand new platform I'm sure palm left stuff out to get the pre out. They needed to get a phone out, if people put up with the iPhone without cut and paste, apple eventually got around to it. Palm isn't looking to take out apple, they're looking to make a statement with their version of a great smartphone and they did that. But if it's not for u then you shouldn't keep it.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, I respect that that is your opinion and some here share, but I respectfully disagree.

I think Palm got a lot right, even the basic stuff. And the consistent sellouts indicate that this is a homerun as of right now for both companies. There's plenty of room for improvement and bugs to be fixed, but it's a remarkable first effort. It's well-reviewed and selling briskly...what else can you ask for?
    One sprint store serves 100k people in my town. They received 25 phones and did not quite sell them all on Saturday. Even if they had sold out, which they did not, selling 25 phones in a town of 100k does not make a homerun. Both Sprint and Palm need more than this one base hit to get back in the game.
    I have to respectfully disagree! This phone is AWESOME to me. I guess to each his own but I think its great. This is coming from someone who is trying sprint over Verizon. Let me tell you, you have a lot more options on the phone than any Verizon phone I have tried. Plus so far I have not found anywhere that this phone would not work and my VZW phone would. In fact I have had better reception with this phone in a lot of areas than I have had on my VZW phone. I think this will turned out to be great for both Palm and Sprint!
    Man I signed up just to respond to your ill informed post.

Sprint has 22 BILLION dollars worth of DEBT, thats NOT operating in the black. Sprint has a weekly boat lift of customers leaving so that DEBT is not getting paid, it is INCREASING.
    PALM has to sell 1/3 the number of Iphones sold just to PAY the INTEREST on the DEBT they have..

Hey SPRINT, business starts at the bottom. Hire some competent sales people that do not act like street punks and get some decent customer service and you just might make it.

Both PALM and Sprint will go BUST or be bought out. Chances are Microsoft buys Palm and the Sprint will be taken over by someone other than the current major carriers

Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    Sprint is the only carrier operating in the black. They have money in the bank, enough to pay all debts. They will not be bought out anytime soon. There is a better chance of AT & T or Tmobile being bought out than Sprint.
    I doubt MS would buy Palm because makes no sense with their Mobile OS.
    I do see PALM being acquired in the near future and a name that has been
    mentioned often because they are dying to get into phones... DELL.
    Wouldnt be surprised by other names like CISCO since they have cash.

Quote Originally Posted by UKTampa View Post
    Man I signed up just to respond to your ill informed post.

Sprint has 22 BILLION dollars worth of DEBT, thats NOT operating in the black. Sprint has a weekly boat lift of customers leaving so that DEBT is not getting paid, it is INCREASING.
    PALM has to sell 1/3 the number of Iphones sold just to PAY the INTEREST on the DEBT they have..

Hey SPRINT, business starts at the bottom. Hire some competent sales people that do not act like street punks and get some decent customer service and you just might make it.

Both PALM and Sprint will go BUST or be bought out. Chances are Microsoft buys Palm and the Sprint will be taken over by someone other than the current major carriers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast