Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well I'm going to buy another couple hundred shares Monday. I think Palms future is bright. Sprint on the other hand would be too big of a risk.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JRBTempe View Post
    I've been enjoying my time with the Pre and would hardly call it a failure... rather, it's more of a glimpse into what the future holds for Palm. They have been successful at launching a new operating system on a new device, and that alone is a huge accomplishment that they should be applauded for. The little things will get worked out over time...
    I agree that Palm has been successful in launching a new os. I hope they have the resources to wait the two years you think it will take to make the Pre a success. I love Palm and I have used two foolproof Palm smartphones day in and day out for eight years. But they are the only two Palm products that worked, completely, out of the box.

I was hoping for a new strategy from Palm for the Pre, different from the Treos. The Treo strategy over the last few years seemed to be to roll out a crippled product with some gee whiz and try to get it right after several hardware and software iterations. My first Palm smartphone was a Kyocera 6035. It worked right out of the box. I wanted each new Treo, but never bought one. While tempted by version after version of Treos, these forums always (and thankfully) stopped me from buying dog after dog. Why give up functionality and peace of mind for looks?

Once a visiting contractor saw my 6035, still working, and offered me his Treo 650 and $300 for my Kyocera. He said he had been through every Treo and still did not have the functionality of his long lost 6035. And I've chuckled through the years when people in the industry thought that smartphones downloading off of the internet was new, or reading and editing attachments, cut and paste. I did those things for years, albeit in black and white.

Finally, Sprint Retention replaced my Kyocera 6035 Palm smartphone with the Treo 755. They had to because they stopped data service to the 6035 and other devices without telling anyone (and while still charging for it!) Thankfully, after all of those other Treo versions, the 755 was the first version that just worked out of the box, and still does. I love it.

If Palm could do it with Kyocera years ago, I thought they might try to get it right the first time, again, with the Pre. Instead, the they seem to be taking same path the did with the Treo. I get the feeling that they may not have the time or resources to make that work, though. I'll wait for that Pre that works like it should out of the box, if it comes. And if it comes maybe Sprint will give to me for free, like they did my 755, because they will have disabled it on their network without telling me.

Honestly, though, I hope not! I hope both Palm and Sprint have changed like they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
    Both Sprint and Palm needed a homerun and sadly the Pre isn't it. I've been amped up for the Pre a while and have been eagerly awaiting writing apps for it. Unfortunately based on my time with the device today I realized it just isn't what we all thought it was going to be. The fact that they get *basic* things so wrong has made me realize that both companies are dead.

It's over guys, enjoy the Pre but I don't see Palm being around in 2 years. Sprint will get bought out.
    Give it time, the 1st iphone was marred with more issues on it launch. It'll take them maybe two more tries before the hit the ball out of the park. Its a good phone IMO, just wish they would have gave us a micro SD slot...
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    Sprint is the only carrier operating in the black. They have money in the bank, enough to pay all debts. They will not be bought out anytime soon. There is a better chance of AT & T or Tmobile being bought out than Sprint.
    What are you smoking? Sprint reported a loss (-) of $594 million, or 21 cents per share for the first quarter 2009 while at&t net income (+) for the quarter was $3.1 billion, or 53 cents a share. No chance at&t is going under while Sprint is bleeding money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/te...s/23phone.html

Sprint reports widening loss of $594 million in Q1 but beats Wall Street

Full disclosure: I work for at&t.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UKTampa View Post
    Chances are Microsoft buys Palm and the Sprint will be taken over by someone other than the current major carriers
    *Snort* *Chuckle* "...Microsoft buys Palm..." *Snort* *Chuckle*...
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riebs View Post
    *Snort* *Chuckle* "...Microsoft buys Palm..." *Snort* *Chuckle*...
    It would be a good move for MS. WebOS looks better and seems to have more functionality than WinMobile.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlecay View Post
    It would be a good move for MS. WebOS looks better and seems to have more functionality than WinMobile.
    Makes as much sense as MS buying Apple.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riebs View Post
    Makes as much sense as MS buying Apple.
    Think they could?
    Quote Originally Posted by JRBTempe View Post

If the iPhone taught me anything, it's that the more a device is capable of, the more the user will want and expect from it. We're just all a tad spoiled by this modern technology, but I appreciate it all, remembering the quaint Atari 2600 from my childhood or my first personal computer, the Commodore Amiga 500. Oh how I loved that stuff in the day, never dreaming that things would progress so far even in just 20 or 30 more years! Just imagine where we'll be in 20 or 30 more years...
    I think some people just want the Pre to be at least as good as the old PalmOS devices such as the 755 & Centro. Yes it can multitask and yes the webbrowser is fantastic, but the PIM software is much weaker than the basic PIM built into PalmOS (3rd Party PIM apps on PalmOS make the WebOS pim apps seem even sadder. The email app looks better than the built in PalmOS app but much weaker than everyones favorite PalmOS email client, Chattermail.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    What are you smoking? Sprint reported a loss (-) of $594 million, or 21 cents per share for the first quarter 2009 while at&t net income (+) for the quarter was $3.1 billion, or 53 cents a share. No chance at&t is going under while Sprint is bleeding money.

Economics 101. Sprint has more Assets than liabilities. They can afford to bleed money. At&t can not.

Full Disclosure: I work for Sprint and a Stockholder.
    I'm sorry shadrap, I don't completely agree with your assessment... assets and liabilities are really more of an accounting or finance discussion not economics (101) which deals more with consumer and market behavior in conditions of scarcity... but that's just arguing semantics. To get to your point... Sprint indeed "has more assets than liabilities." However, to suggest a company can "afford to bleed money" is a bit of a parochial view. Sprint has in fact been bleeding money AND subscribers, a fact admitted by the company's management in its discussion and analysis of financial condition. (I was trying to post the link to the document, but since I'm a new poster you'll have to dig up the 10Q on the EDGAR site)

"Even if our expectation that we will reduce the number of net post-paid subscriber losses in 2009 is not achieved, Sprintís current liquidity position makes it likely that we will be able to meet our debt service requirements and other funding needs at least through 2010. Nevertheless, if we are unable to reduce the rate of losses of post-paid subscribers in 2009 or 2010, it would have a significant negative impact on cash provided by operating activities and our liquidity in future years."

This is a sobering statement. In a highly competitive environment no company can afford to lose a significant number of subscribers and hope to remain successful. Here's hoping that the Palm Pre helps both Palm and Sprint. Choices and competition help to drive innovation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    Full disclosure: I work for at&t.
    Awww, don't feel so bad. Nobody is perfect.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    A lot of what people are complaining about can be fixed by over the air updates and/or third party applications. Yes there are a few hardware things they could have addressed like more memory and/or a micro sd card slot, better battery (although could be fixed with over the air update and/or an extended battery). The bulk of the things people are complaining about are very minor imo.
    Did everyone forget when the Blackberry came and when iPhone just came out? How fast we all forget, give this one a chance, it keeps getting great reviews. I am still sitting on the fence myself but leaning towards the Pre.
    No offense to the downers in the group, but IMO Sprint has very, very good service. I have been all over the country and my phones have worked very well. 1st gen, early adopters or however you classify it, everyone knew that there would be issues. The phone itself is incredible. That being said, the phone has issues, real issues. If Sprint and Palm stand up and get on top of the issues, they will be in great shape. If the bury their heads in the sand, they will be in big trouble. A lot of Pres can be returned in 30 days. Personally, I think they will get out in front of this. They have too much riding on it not to.
    I totally agree with that statement, if they learn from iPhone and RIM they should become a solid company and Pre will become a great phone. Then lots of old customers will return to them. I am with Sprint from the day they opened the doors and never had problems, only gripe is that they are slow with new phones, but not no more, after this hope more phones will jump on board. Long as they dont fall asleep at the wheel they will make this great.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
    Unfortunately based on my time with the device today I realized it just isn't what we all thought it was going to be. The fact that they get *basic* things so wrong has made me realize that both companies are dead.

It's over guys, enjoy the Pre but I don't see Palm being around in 2 years. Sprint will get bought out.
    What basic things they couldn't get it ?
    And what did "we all thought it" ?

After two years I will sell my Pre as a collectible item on Ebay for $ 2000.00.
    And my Sprint shares are doubled after being bought out by whoever.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post

Economics 101. Sprint has more Assets than liabilities. They can afford to bleed money. At&t can not.

Full Disclosure: I work for Sprint and a Stockholder.
    so what?
    your information is past, what will happen in future ?
    Sprint might increase the revenues.

Stocks are bet on future business.
    Listen guys the Pre is not for eveyone, who ever thought that the Palm Pre will kill iPhone or BlackBerry is out of his / her mind. You will see with the new Palm CEO it will take off and in few years they will compete, with more applications and bugs will be fixed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12