Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Hi all,

First of all, I realize I am posting this in the Precentral forum. However, I am looking for advice from users who have had experience with both phones.

I currently own an HTC Touch. Despite the constant resets, lagginess, and WinMo idiosyncracies, I've gotten used to it, and have performed my fair share of Rom updates, etc etc. I've been using WM for awhile now, ever since my Toshiba Nino days, and consider myself a fairly advanced user of Windows Mobile. However, my HTC has recently stopped holding a charge, and I have the option of using my insurance to swap it out for the HTC Touch Diamond, for $100. The Touch Diamond seems like a decent phone, with 640x480 res, although I know the Touch Diamond 2 is already in the works.

I was able to play with a Pre at Best Buy on Saturday. Even though I've read griping about the keyboard, it is way way better than the HTC software only keyboard. I was able to type out something fairly quickly. The webOs also seemed pretty slick as well. Capacitive touch is very very nice too.

So, what do you all think? Time to make the jump to webOS? Or should I just go ahead and get the HTC Touch Diamond, and wait for version 2 of the Pre? For those who have used both, I am especially interested in your opinion. Appreciate your advice.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I used the Diamond for exactly 4 days and went back to my Touch. Tried all the ROMs, and found nothing that would cure the phone of its biggest issue, extremely poor battery life. It was good otherwise. It even had accelerometer-based games (can't wait for those for the Pre!).

I would say if you can't decide. Keep the Touch and get the WM6.1 NFSFan ROM. That's the best ROM for the Touch, super stable and great battery life.

The Pre is still a beta device and if you are easily irritated by small issues (or non-small issues) than wait for a month or two.
    Wow, as a ex-user of the HTC Diamond it is no contest. Definitely the Pre.
    Touch Pro 2 coming out on Sprint too might be the best option.
    diamond is not a contest at all
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I had a Touch Pro and couldn't wait for the Pre. Windows Mobile is sooooo slloooooooooow. Amazing hardware, but the OS was TERRIBLE.

I'm happy with the Pre so far. It's a little bare-boned, but nothing is missing that isnt easily patched in or fixed with apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    diamond is not a contest at all
    But, TP2 is a strong contender!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    Wow, as a ex-user of the HTC Diamond it is no contest. Definitely the Pre.
    I completely agree. No contest - the Pre is easily the winner.
    its a shame to toss the Touch just because you need a new battery... about $6 on ebay...

but getting the Pre is a good thing too... get the battery *and* the Pre... (provided your Sprint plan is "compatible"...
    its a shame to toss the Touch just because you need a new battery... about $6 on ebay...

but getting the Pre is a good thing too... get the battery *and* the Pre... (provided your Sprint plan is "compatible"...
    I had the Touch Pro and will probably sell it if the Pre works out. Very capable phone once you get a better ROM on it. If I wasn't such a sucker for new devices I would have kept it. You can tether and sync email. The Opera Mobile and Skyfire browsers are decent. Multitasking is there but nowhere near as nicely executed as the Pre. Keyboard on the TP is better and the resolution is much higher although the screen is small.

Battery life is about the same - i.e. you have to put it on a charger during the day or in the evening if you do much web browsing or streaming. Pre may be a little better but I haven't had it long enough to be sure. I just kept lots of mini-USB cables around so I could charge it any time I was sitting at a computer.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I think it's a choice between WinMo vs WebOS. As a former WinMo user all I can say is WebOS is a breath of fresh air. It's not so complete yet but this OS will go a long way. I'm not missing my WinMo device, not a bit.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the input folks. I am by no means a Microsoft basher, and I do love the amount of 3rd party apps available for the WinMo system, but I will also be the first to admit, that as an mobile OS, it leaves much to be desired, especially straight out of the box. I've gotten to the point where I just want something that works without having to flash ROMs, etc etc., esp. with baby #2 on the way, free time will be a definite limited resource. Haven't gotten around to using WinMo 6.5 yet, but heard it is a definite improvement.

Just to clarify, my Touch does not have a bad battery, but rather it doesn't charge anymore, due to a loose connection on the Touch, which I've also read is not uncommon.. So either way, I need to update with the Diamond or the Pre. (or the Touch Pro 2...that does look like a mighty nice phone. 800x480 res?! Are you kidding me?)
    Windows Mobile 6.1 blows ***. Windows Mobile 6.5 simply blows a little less. Pre for sure.

Windows Mobile = lag city.