Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

When there are two active calls, I can't seem to figure out how to hang up one call only.

Additionally, if the person on the other end hangs up, their call still appears on the screen. In fact I've noticed that sometimes if Caller A hangs up, Caller A still displays on the screen, and in fact if you want to talk to Caller B, you have to click on Caller A....

Weird wild stuff....
    That's exactly how my treo 755p does it, pre might be the same way. The 755p will autoreconnect you to the active waiting call if you hang up all.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Has the call waiting issue from past Treo's been resolved on the Pre or not?
    The Pre handles calls much the same as the 700p & 755p on Sprint. I think its a CDMA thing. This was one big disappointment for me, as I often conference in my brothers and its just clunky.
    This is a limitation of CDMA. Actually, I'm not sure if it's Sprint specific or if it's true on Verizon as well. I just know that this has been an issue forever on Sprint, and I've been with Sprint for over 10 years (premier).
    Yep. This is a limitation of cdma. Even though it still shows the second caller on the screen after they hang up, you can still receive another call and it will replace that second person on the screen if you answer it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    Yep. This is a limitation of cdma. Even though it still shows the second caller on the screen after they hang up, you can still receive another call and it will replace that second person on the screen if you answer it.
    Can you hang up on a particular call, while leaving the other call connected (and not the ring-back "solution" on 755p's)?
    No, unfortunately I do not believe there is a way to do this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are correct. The only options you have is to ask the other person to hang up or hang up all calls.
    FUDGE!

This truly, TRULY displeases me! It was "little" things like this that made me look forward to the Pre so much.

I don't see how it would be a cdma issue, though. It seems like the kind of the thing that would be specific to the device(s).

Crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't see how it would be a cdma issue, though. It seems like the kind of the thing that would be specific to the device(s).
    Palm can only implement what the carrier supports. If the carrier can't make it happen over their network, then it would be tough for Palm. (Not a perfect example, but take download speed... Palm can't make their phone download quicker than Sprint's network can support.)

I know you probably understand, and didn't need an example, but perhaps this is for others who don't get my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    Palm can only implement what the carrier supports. If the carrier can't make it happen over their network, then it would be tough for Palm. (Not a perfect example, but take download speed... Palm can't make their phone download quicker than Sprint's network can support.)

I know you probably understand, and didn't need an example, but perhaps this is for others who don't get my point.
    No problem, but I actually don't understand. The carrier supports call waiting. So it seems like that shouldn't be an issue.

The issue (or, from your perspective, the symptom) is that the phone doesn't display the right thing. I could imagine it getting deeper than that, but it just seems so unlikely.

Not that I frequent the heck out of Verizon communities or whatever but I never hear them or even other Sprint phone users complaining about these things.

Yet I've been *****ing about it since my 650.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    No problem, but I actually don't understand. The carrier supports call waiting. So it seems like that shouldn't be an issue.

The issue (or, from your perspective, the symptom) is that the phone doesn't display the right thing. I could imagine it getting deeper than that, but it just seems so unlikely.

Not that I frequent the heck out of Verizon communities or whatever but I never hear them or even other Sprint phone users complaining about these things.

Yet I've been *****ing about it since my 650.
    Sprint supports call waiting, it just doesn't support hanging up on a specific caller. You can swap back and forth, but Sprint doesn't allow you to hang up on either of the calls. Palm can't implement buttons to hang up on "this" caller or the caller "on hold" if the network doesn't allow for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    Sprint supports call waiting, it just doesn't support hanging up on a specific caller. You can swap back and forth, but Sprint doesn't allow you to hang up on either of the calls. Palm can't implement buttons to hang up on "this" caller or the caller "on hold" if the network doesn't allow for it.
    Even if the caller hangs up, the phone still shows them there. So even if you can't choose who to hang up on, you ought to be able to see to whom you are connected.

If you can't, again, that sounds like the phone, not the carrier.

In either case, it is ridiculous and it is also "teh suck."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    If I remember correctly my last 5 phones all on sprint did not have that capability. For sure my 755p and 800w both did not. I have always wanted somehow to have that capability though.

I've been in a couple situations when it really sucks. I was on a conference call and then just as the conference call was ending I got another call that started another conference call. The unfortunate part was that the first conference call was set up through a conference call service and so when I clicked over to answer the other one I was locked in to using both of my lines the whole time. It wasn't like I could ask the automated machine who was telling me my options the whole time (press 1 for more options, etc. blah blah) to hang up the call. I wish there was a hang up option on every service like that. Oh well.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I expect that it's carrier or protocol specific. Nextel phones by Motorola have always been able to manage this as the OP desires, but Sprint Motorola phones do not, even the V950 which is a "Nextel" QChat phone but only works on CDMA.

-darren
    Even if the caller hangs up, the phone still shows them there. So even if you can't choose who to hang up on, you ought to be able to see to whom you are connected.

If you can't, again, that sounds like the phone, not the carrier.

In either case, it is ridiculous and it is also "teh suck."

I've had Sprint for over 10 years with 8 phones personally during that timeframe personally, 4 phones for my wife, and another 4 phones for other family members added to my plan. Phone manufacturers for those phones included Palm, Motorola, LG, Samsung, and possibly others. None of the phones we've had were able to hang up on a call waiting call or confirm for us that the other call was gone via the handset display. Many of them weren't smart phones, so maybe we didn't expect them to know what they were doing with call waiting, but of mine, 7 of them were Palm/Handspring phones. I would have expected Palm to get it right by now if they were trying at all.

It might be coincidence, or it might, more likely, show that this legacy CDMA network, although fast and clear, doesn't support that feature.

One way to know the other line is gone is to press the flash button (to check the other line) and listen for a dial tone or busy signal. I know it's not elegant, but it does the job.

Here are two other ongoing Sprint network gripes:
    1) When you miss a call and are checking voicemail, then the caller tries again and you take the other line, when you hang up on all calls, you get a call from an "unknown number" which is your voicemail on the "other line" ringing you back. To remedy this, you can get back on the voicemail line and press * until it hangs up, but I usually don't waste the time since I have the caller on the line.
    2) You can't multitask and use data while on a call.
    This is how I hang up on a person while another person is on hold on my Vzw BB.

I switch to the person I want to hang up on and press the end call button... wait a few seconds and the other caller on hold automatically calls back and I continue the conversation and that person on hold never realizes they got hung up on.

EDIT: I just tried this from 2 Vzw phones calling my Pre and it worked the same as mentioned above.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    This is how I hang up on a person while another person is on hold on my Vzw BB.

I switch to the person I want to hang up on and press the end call button... wait a few seconds and the other caller on hold automatically calls back and I continue the conversation and that person on hold never realizes they got hung up on.

EDIT: I just tried this from 2 Vzw phones calling my Pre and it worked the same as mentioned above.
    Cool - that makese sense. And it makes the "unknown caller" callback in voicemail a lot less annoying, knowing that it's actually a useful feature!

-darren
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Why can't I hang up on one call if I have more than one call at once? - webOS Software - Palm Support Forums

Here is an at length discussion along with explanations of what is going on with this situation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast