Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Given that this is your first and only post. Sounds like you are a fanboy. So, what's your point in posting here anyway? Keep with what you like and let each of us do the same. Bye, bye!
    I disagree. Unlike the deep cover iTroll who posted earlier, the OP has a balanced list of particulars that indicates that his specific needs aren't met by the Pre. Also, a fanboy wouldn't have closed with:

I'm so disappointed in the Pre. I had to return it and go old school with a Palm Pro and Windows Mobile, and set up Good.com on it. The iPhone is not an option for me because of some of some similar application limitations.

I'm bummed. I'll look at it again in 6 months.

1. A fanboy wouldn't have bought another Palm product.

B. A fanboy wouldn't have said that the iPhone isn't an option.

3. A fanboy wouldn't have said he'd give the Pre another look after it's had some time to be refined and fumigated.

Pre users do themselves no credit by descending to the childish levels of typical iPhone loonies.
    Quote Originally Posted by igaveuponmypre View Post
    I was so excited to get it Saturday morning. I had numerous problems with crashes and some of the other bugs mentioned. There are some application issues that finally killed it for me. I returned it today to Sprint, and got a replacement for my old Treo 800W and purchased a Treo Pro.

Deal killers for me were:

The Pre wouldn't sync all my Exchange calendar events. I had some that were created days ago, and no matter what, they wouldn't sync with the Pre. I would have missed meetings if I didn't catch this.

There is no way to see a list of your day's activities in a list format. You have to look at the Calendar, and scroll around to see what you have.

The Calendar application wouldn't remember what Exchange accounts I wanted displayed in the Calendar. I have 3 Exchange accounts, but only use a calendar for one account. The Pre kept reverting back to showing all 3.

It's too easy to accidentally move calendar events to other days or times. I clicked to scroll on my calendar, and it selected the calendar event and moved it. I had to go back through old email to figure out when I had committed to a meeting held today because the Pre let me move it mistakenly when I lifted my finger.

No meeting requests for Calendar (sending or accepting). Absolutely essential for me and all of my staff.

The Pre creates is own categories and caused problems with my Exchange server. I think these categories messed up my Outlook views, but am not 100% sure of this. I had to restore Outlook to the factory views to get my Outlook working again. I tried it from 2 different machines to make sure it wasn't a local PC issue.

Tasks can't be sorted or use categories. I can't believe this one. I have about 500 pending tasks in my Exchange account, and this is crazy.

If you have more than one Exchange account set up, the Task application requires that both of them show up in Tasks. If you try to remove one of the accounts from Tasks, it tries to remove then entire Exchange account, rather than just the tasks for that account.

Notes are not integrated with Exchange. I need this without question for lists of things that are referred to in Outlook when using my laptop, or 2 other machines.

The keyboard is hard to use if you need to press the Shift key or Orange Key and click on a key in the upper left corner of the keyboard.

The cover for the micro USB port is ridiculous. It's a total pain to try to charge the Pre in a car.

In a couple of cases, I would feel the screen stuttering under my finger.

The Pre needs a simple home screen that is configurable for upcoming events, tasks, etc so you can see important topics in one screen (like the home screen for Windows Mobile).

The cut/copy/paste is too hard. It should be accomplished with one hand, and not require the gymnastics of 2 hands.

The use of white space and font size is wasteful. On my old Treo, I could get a long list of tasks with relevant information. On the Pre, there is more of a focus on large text and white space, so I can't see much on the screen without scrolling a lot.

It's hard to edit the browsers location bar if you are at a URL, and want to modify the URL in the bar to go to a different location within the same website. Somehow I did a Google search and ended up on a different language website version of Google. I tried to edit the URL bar to point it to the US version and couldn't get it done.

I'm so disappointed in the Pre. I had to return it and go old school with a Palm Pro and Windows Mobile, and set up Good.com on it. The iPhone is not an option for me because of some of some similar application limitations.

I'm bummed. I'll look at it again in 6 months.
    Thank you for sparing me similar pain. I don't undestand why people get so touchy! This guysp obviosuly wrote a long detailed post and he just saved me from days of frustration. He is clearly a business userand we have a demanding set of needs that can't wait for updates. No outlook calender invites alon is a deal killer for me.

Thank you

The treo pro will work great for you. it is a spectacular device.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    There's more "white space" because its optimized for a touch screen. Its one of the things I like about it. Using a Treo Pro or a Touch Diamond with fingers is massively more difficult because WinMo is not optimized for finger touchs. I was routinely having to pull my stylus out for the Diamond and I HATE that when I want a touch screen.
    The problem isn't the phone, it's the OS on a whole. So the EOS/Pixie or Pre2 would still put you in the same boat. Palm killed off an OS with a highly functional PIM and created a glorified multitasking dumphone OS that alienates many of its longtime PalmOS users. Regardless if we're not their target audience, it still seems like a dumb move to remove basic features people take for granted in a PIM. I used to be quite excited about the Pre, and now I'm down to just giving it a shot because it's new tech, and Sprint is my only option. I received a Pro today by mistake, and I actually started to consider keeping it. If the Pre goes back, I just might pick up the Pro or live with the Centro until an HTC or Samsung Android phone comes to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    Those of us that require extremely flexible PIM apps to manage our work lives need to realize that we are NOT Palms target buyer for this phone. With 3rd party apps it may eventually fit that need but not now.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Everyone cries about how this phone doesn't work, doesn't do this, or that.. Why do you think we care to read that? If it's a new phone, we want it to succeed and want to try to figure out ways to fix it. about 3/4 of the Pre section are so full of negativity.. it's getting pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Either call tech support or go to the store if close. The first thing they would do is do a reset.

Here is the instruction to do the reset. This came directly from Palm.

For future reference Palm strongly advises not to remove the battery whenever possible. You can initiate a reset by doing a hardware combination on the phone to do it:

1. Press and hold the power button (device must be on)
    2. Switch the ringer switch back and forth
    3. Repeat step 2
    4. Repeat step 2

Wait a few seconds and the device should reset.

That is a hokey way to reset it. Easier way is:

"Device Info" ---> "Reset Options" ---> "Restart"
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    Palm didn't provide a way to import Tasks or Memos into my three new Pre Devices? And what about thousands of Datebook or Calendar entries? C'mon!?

I've got more than 13,000 records I need/use from 16 years of MEMOS, CALENDAR events with attached notes (complete with DatebookPlus fonts, formats, colors, icons), and critical data that I've recorded in TASKS, etc.

The reason I didn't switch to an I-phone, or any other OS for that matter, is because all my palmOS data, and related functions, are more valuable to me (and my business) than the device itself.

I CANNOT believe Palm has ignored we remaining hundreds of thousands of Palm customers who MUST HAVE the ability to transfer/sync all of their past data (some as far back as their US Robotics devices) or they cannot switch to something new!

I bought three Pre's yesterday (I had to hold my nose cuz I absolutely hate sprint). I love what the Pre's do, but the more I'm finding out what they CAN'T do I realize I'm going to have to return them until someone makes a device or enough workarounds to import all of my data in a usable format. I guess I'm going to have to keep buying used 755p's until there ain't no more around. And, frankly, waiting until VZ or ATT either have a working Pre or something even better strikes me as more preferable than giving sprint even a dime of my money.

I am so bummed. I really thought the Pre was finally the freaking answer.
    No offense meant at all.

But isn't it your fault for not researching the phone? We've known about some of the PIM shortcomings for quite some time now. It wasn't going to be magically corrected at launch.

A Treo Pro is really the phone you should've been looking at.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    No offense meant at all.

But isn't it your fault for not researching the phone? We've known about some of the PIM shortcomings for quite some time now. It wasn't going to be magically corrected at launch.

A Treo Pro is really the phone you should've been looking at.
    not to mention......technology moves on. We should all build a system for the few legacy folks that need it, not the masses.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Ok, there were alot of people waiting anxiously for the pre, now i see alot of those names on here that are returning theres ASAP, i know there will be bugs on the first batch, i have had no probs what so ever with mine, there are some things i dont care for like the sharp edges around the keyboard and the glossy back (whisch is a finger print magnet, makes the phone look dirty all the time) but those things i can live with, i still love my treo 755p but it feels like a dinosaur now after having the pre..the videos i watch online are amazing not choppy like the 755, my email was a breeze to set up...you guy still have 28 more days to give this phone a chance, for those of you that have problems like light leakage around the edges of the screen or if it keeps crashing take it back, sprint told me they would exchange it asap if there were any problems..I LOVE MINE and learning more everyday.

so if you are returning yours please post to say why so we can see if opinons and defects compare ...and my batch of phone is 5U9 (6th 7th and 8th number in the serial #, so far all that are 5U9 are free of probs.
  10. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Sticking with my Pre!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Tomorrow. Sticking with iphone 3G.
    Love the Pre, best phone I have ever had.
    What is this sharp edges thing, what are there a bunch of little girls out there? Sharp edges are you kidding?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Love the Pre, best phone I have ever had.
    What is this sharp edges thing, what are there a bunch of little girls out there? Sharp edges are you kidding?
    when i say edges i mean at the bottom, when my phone is closed it sticks out a bit still and seems to catch a bit when its in my soft case..
    My serial 5Y9 and I have not had any issues with my Pre. I still don't know what to do because I cannot receive exchange email. My Pre syncs once during setup correctly but fails to sync there after. I will be working on the exchange issue tonight to see if I can get it working. If I can't see to make it work I think I need to return it. I love my pre so far but need corporate emails.
    I'm not returning mine, but I am exchanging it. Heat and screen issues have lead me to believe I have a defective unit, so I'm hoping I'll have better luck with another one. I guess we'll find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by trbobusa View Post
    when i say edges i mean at the bottom, when my phone is closed it sticks out a bit still and seems to catch a bit when its in my soft case..
    Ok, I get that, that would bug me... I wonder if you shld return... Mine is flush, and remains flush all the way around.
    I definitely LOVE webos. I am coming from a Samsung Ace, which believe it or not was one of my favorite phones, but it was just old on space and features. I am going to give the Pre a couple weeks to see if I can adjust to the slider form factor. The keyboard is just fine, I type just as fast on the Pre as I did on the Ace. But the slider is a little bit loose when closed and I have to see if I can get used to not have the keyboard on the front of the phone always accessible.

I love webos though. Its awesome. And that Palm Eos is looking like my perfect phone so long as Sprint gets it with WiFi and EVDO Rev A.
    Not me keeping it!
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Returning it !
    Think us poor GSM only countries that haven't even got one yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon Palm, before Apple get the 3GS out here. Get a 1 month jump and a captive audience.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Having a screen name like "igaveuponmypre" really does not help his cause ??

Didn't Sprint/Palm warn that this phone was not business customers? but for me at this early stage it seems to work for me.
Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast