Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast
    I'm posting here because this is where I was learning about the Pre before I bought it. And I referenced this site when I was having issues. I'm posting in case other people with similar needs to mine are looking for information.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Given that this is your first and only post. Sounds like you are a fanboy. So, what's your point in posting here anyway? Keep with what you like and let each of us do the same. Bye, bye!
    Not sure why you need to attack. Maybe you are the fanboy. This is a discussion forum for the Pre. Both good and bad.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    So an update, returned the Pre after i found out the WIFI wouldn't work on the phone either. I tried WIFI at friends and at starbucks, no go. Will try the Pre again from the next batch of shipment they get in, hopefully with a updated software, and a radio that works.
    Last edited by nsxla; 06/08/2009 at 04:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Those of us that require extremely flexible PIM apps to manage our work lives need to realize that we are NOT Palms target buyer for this phone. With 3rd party apps it may eventually fit that need but not now.
    Quote Originally Posted by igaveuponmypre View Post
    I'm posting here because this is where I was learning about the Pre before I bought it. And I referenced this site when I was having issues. I'm posting in case other people with similar needs to mine are looking for information.
    You had valid points. It should be better in a couple of months or so. I have come to understand that as much as a lot of people here try to differentiate themselves from Apple fan boys they are just as bad. If you say anything negative about their beloved Pre they attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by igaveuponmypre View Post
    Thanks for the post with all the interesting details about EAS.
    I just returned my pre today also. I liked the phone but it just wasnt for me. Im back to my old trusty 755p. I was looking at the treo pro. Is it better than the 800w? I had the 800 for a week and couldnt stand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    Those of us that require extremely flexible PIM apps to manage our work lives need to realize that we are NOT Palms target buyer for this phone. With 3rd party apps it may eventually fit that need but not now.
    Which is odd when you consider how well PalmOS phones met the needs of those buyers and disappointing for those PalmOS users now on a dead platform with no where to go right now (particualrly if a decent email client is also a requirement).
    Quote Originally Posted by kwood View Post
    I just returned my pre today also. I liked the phone but it just wasnt for me. Im back to my old trusty 755p. I was looking at the treo pro. Is it better than the 800w? I had the 800 for a week and couldnt stand it.
    KWOOD, send me a PM and I'll follow up with you after I play with it. I can't send PM since I'm new to this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Given that this is your first and only post. Sounds like you are a fanboy. So, what's your point in posting here anyway? Keep with what you like and let each of us do the same. Bye, bye!
    The OP has detailed his issues and all of them sound very valid. I hope some of Palm PMs are following these threads. Product development/enhancement through user feedback is one of the best ways to keep a product relevant and ahead of the curve. Even Steve Jobs can envisage all the ways a user might use the device.

Everyone buys phone or any device gadget for two or three primary applications. They don't have to match. My requirements of what I want to use Pre for can be very different than yours. Old PalmOS had a very good PIM when it first came out a decade back. For some reason Palm team has not paid to much attention to PIM functionality. May be they reasoned it is lower priority for most of their target base. I don't know. It is only a software development issue. On the bright side it is easy for them to fix it. Or for a third party developer to step in. After all th OP did say he will look at it again in 6 months.

You are doing exactly what you accuse the OP of.
    If you didn't like the 800w, you won't like the Pro either. It's Windows Mobile as well.
    May I recommend the Treo Pro forum on TreoCentral. Lots of discussion about the 800W compared to the Pro.
    i think that the new os will need some updates.. and also.. maybe you should have given the phone the true 30 days.. i am.. if after 30 days, they dont make some improvements.. then i may, and thats a big MAY.. go back to my instinct.. but sofar i am happy..

My only complaints are this..
    text forwarding, copy and paste
    main button wont activate the phone when in sleep mode
    would like for some indicator light telling me i have a message while in sleep mode
    allow me to change text sounds and such.
    group names, multi person text..

thats it.. those are my only complaints.. other than that.. i like the phone alot
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Which is odd when you consider how well PalmOS phones met the needs of those buyers and disappointing for those PalmOS users now on a dead platform with no where to go right now (particualrly if a decent email client is also a requirement).
    I agree...it doesn't make sense. It seems Palm could have transferred similar PIM functionality from POS to the Pre. And, they had Marc Blank of Chatter Email working for them for a while which should have resulted in a great email client.

I am eager to replace my 755p even though it works fine with Chatter and is stable. If I needed a new phone right now, I would probably take a hard look at BB as I have tried Windoze based smartphones in the past and did not like them at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Please turn in your driver's license ASAP.

This sort of cr*p gets people killed.
    Preach much? I know folks who can't drive safely with both hands on the wheel and their attention focused on nothing but the road.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    dude, shouldve traded with me. i'll take your working one and you take my broken one. you return the broken one and we're all good.
    I know this wasnt a treo pro thread. I was just asking cause the guy in the first post said he returned it for the treo pro and he said he had the 800w before... Like i said. I really liked the pre. I just dont think its for me. A little flimsy compared to a solid non slider phone. And i couldnt stand that you couldnt change the main screen that much. I do a ton of work out of my truck and I need to be able to get to speed dial contacts and things quick. I will miss the decent camera and the internet and how the text messaging would let you just keep on typing and break it up for you...
    No need to attack Igaveup...He is in a different market segment. That's why Palm makes the Treo Pro. And if I remember correctly, they'll continue to make WinMo phones.

I'm coming off a Treo 800 and I miss the 5 way and the precision of using a stylus. Fat fingers are just too...too.....fat! The screen is bigger on the Pre but the information density is lower to accommodate fat fingers.

It would be nice if one phone like the Pre could do it all. But it comes down to what is important to you. For some, it will come down on the side of the Pre. On others, it will be WinMo or PalmOs phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So, other than that you liked the Pre?

Don't expect any sympathy around here. Making disparaging remarks here is like telling people that their kids are ugly.
    Seriously, no one here is upset that your kids are ugly...
    There's a big difference between quirks and major loss of basic functionality that can be found in an aging 13yr old OS made by the same company. Right now as a business tool, the Centro or 755 wins over the Pre because Palm saw fit to dumb down certain functions. I sure hope it's not the fault of Rubenstein bringing in some Apple philosophy, but either way, the Pre is more dumbphone than it is smart phone when you consider smartphones were originally the blending of a PDA and a phone.

And unlike a woman, you can use and abuse the hell out of a phone for 30 days, return it with no consequences and get one that better suits your needs. Well you can do that with a woman, but you'd pretty much be an a-h*le. You can also take insurance out on a phone to replace a defective or broken one.

Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    When it comes to smart phones you always have to bite the bullet to move forward. I wasn't happy with all the quirks of my Treo 600P and when I upgraded to the 700P there was alot of new issues I had to deal with. Now with my 800w I can show you a whole list of things I don't like but what are my options. If I'm not with my smartphone for just a few minutes I am really uncomfortable. Having a smartphone is almost like having a Women because you can't live with them and you can't live without them. The bottom line is when I upgrade 8/1 from my 800w to the Pre I will have a list of grievances but I won't look back. Next year when I upgrade to the Pre2 I'll have a whole new list of grievances but I still won't look back. Thats just the way it is.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast