Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    I agree with the OP's sentiments, for the most part. Now I'm just not sure if I want to go back to my Treo 650, or spend a little to get a 755p or Centro
    Renard, the 755p is vastly better than the 650, if for no other reason than EVDO.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Perhaps you have special talents. I found on my 755p that it was darn near impossible to select text accurately with the same hand that was holding the phone (the definition of "one handed"). And I would be really surprised if you could use the stylus with the same hand that is holding the phone. Yeah, you can use your thumb, but I found it impossible. However, I found something, perhaps it was fieldplus, that allowed me to just place the cursor, hit shift, then use the dpad to select text. Worked very well. Best hack available, in my opinion. I think a similar hack could allow you to double-click the orange button and then move the cursor without holding it on the Pre.
    True about the stylus... Duh on my part. But yes, I do use my thumb to select the text.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati View Post
    I haven't played with my wives Pre as much as I'd like, but I'm sure that the Alarm clock will do this. I set up her alarm to go off every weekday. It had other options too. Perhaps some things are in different places/apps now. Change is hard and patient is a virtue.

From what I have seen so far with my wives Pre there are 2 key issues for me.

1). Battery life sucks, even with Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi, etc off.

2). Reception isn't great either and the phone switches between 1x, EV and roaming quite a bit. This could have a big impact on battery life.

I think it's a great little phone with quite a few little things missing right now that I am hoping that Palm will fix. I sincerely hope that by the time August comes around (when I am due for an upgrade) that the Pre will be so much better
    The Alarm helps out somewhat but it is very limited you have the choice of setting up alarms for the following:

1) Run Once - Select a single date
    2) Weekdays - Run at same time M-Fri
    3) Weekends - Sat & Sun
    4) Daily - Run 7 days a week.

No other choices to run something like, every Monday, or every 5th of the month, etc. This is pretty frustrating.

I never used Google calendar before and am not syncing to it right now. Does anyone know if you can create reoccuring tasks on it? If so, maybe when the Pre syncs with it periodically, Google will see a task closed and then automatically create a new one as per the reoccuring specification the user made in Google map. Am going to create a Google account and try.

Battery Life - I have read reviews about every single Treo I have ever had saying they had bad battery life and I DISAGREED every single time. I recharge my phone every day so I always dimissed the Treo complaints as people being unrealistic about letting over 24 hours go by without charging. I figured it would be the same deal with this one so when I say I was completely wrong this time and that the battery life is poor, it is an understatement. I could not have made anymore than 40 mins worth of calls Sunday over a four hour period and the thing was about dead when I got home. I am wondering if the every 15 min sync is killing the battery life throughout the day. Has anyone changed it? (if possible)
    Last edited by Bob-C; 06/08/2009 at 02:05 PM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Can you just make recurring calender events rather than recurring tasks? Other than the checkoff when done, that should work.
    Thanks for the post Gekko. Very informative and gives us an insight on the real world feel of the Pre.

As for the Centro, just ask for it back from your sister and explain the situation.
    Meant to ask - what exactly happened in less than 24 hrs?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1648198
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Going back to the Centro...crazy!

I left my 755p for a Curve and tho I missed some of the Palm OS feature....you could tell that obvious difference between a terribly aging OS and one that was so much further ahead.
    I agree with the OP. I used my 700W for a long time and it was like second nature. I could allmost use it without even looking at it. It became an extenson of me rather than a separate device.

The Pre is not nearly as intuitive, but I am optimistic about the new features and what the capabilities of this phone are long-term.

I'm looking forward to more apps in the app store. I'm looking forward to the fixes that Palm will inevitably release.

I'm willing to be patient and wait for them to get it right.

I definitely like the Pre more than the iPhone, but not quite as much as my Treo yet, but I'm sure it will grow on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I am wondering if the every 15 min sync is killing the battery life throughout the day. Has anyone changed it? (if possible)
    You can edit this in the preferences for each account (gmail, exchange, etc.) I set my gmail to send emails as they come in rather than polling for them every 15 minutes. I did that early on so I don't know how much of an impact it made. I hear it helps since it does less transferring.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogpre View Post
    Can you just make recurring calender events rather than recurring tasks? Other than the checkoff when done, that should work.
    That is something I am considering but the biggest problem is such that.... Say I have something planned for Monday & miss it. If it were a task I would see it still in the Task view on Tuesday whereas if I look at the calendar view on Tuesday, it is highly unlikely I will click back on Monday to see what went on that day.

I tried Google Calendar and found something interesting. The tasks menu is equally limited there with no reoccurring tasks being allowed. Does anyone think that Palm left it out of the Pre for this reason?

You can make reoccuring events in Outlook which would probably fix the problem when syncing with Exchange but I don't happen to have an Exchange server I can sync it.

One possible workaround is that instead of closing out a task, I could just change the date to the next time I need to do it. Does anyone else think this would be annoying?
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    You can edit this in the preferences for each account (gmail, exchange, etc.) I set my gmail to send emails as they come in rather than polling for them every 15 minutes. I did that early on so I don't know how much of an impact it made. I hear it helps since it does less transferring.

Thank you Neo! Mine was set to every 30 mins. I remember I used to have it set to something similar on a Treo and it did impact by battery. I really don't care about automatically getting emails because I don't use this for a work account so set it to manual. This made a big difference on my Treo and expect it will on the Pre as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Going back to the Centro...crazy!

I left my 755p for a Curve and tho I missed some of the Palm OS feature....you could tell that obvious difference between a terribly aging OS and one that was so much further ahead.
    I have a Curve and a Centro. I always reach for the Centro unless reading work email.
    If it were a task I would see it still in the Task view on Tuesday whereas if I look at the calendar view on Tuesday, it is highly unlikely I will click back on Monday to see what went on that day.
    True, though I eventually trained myself to do it on some other platforms. I bet recurring items being moved to calender will prove to be adaptable. I'm willing to spot them on that, whether a fix is forthcoming or not. I'm relying on google to get tasks syncing. That one is close to a given as I can get.

Just need to get all my memos moved and I'm there.
    ...So let me get this straight your going back to the Centro? I mean a 755p okay maybe, but a Centro?! Here let me assist you with your backwards transition by allowing you to use my time machine to go back several steps in time...
    Centros arent' so bad. With mine, I can download/surf/search faster than on my old 650.

Compared to the Pre, I can
    VERY easily fit it in my pocket.
    Forward texts, search ALL the build in applications (PIM stuff). Copy and Paste from/to almost any field.
    Have a desktop interface (editing/entering)
    Have a desktop interface (backing-up/syncing)
    Have a lot of expandable memory.
    Sync my tasks
    Access years of memos (I wouldn't buy the next Mac or PC if all my old word and excel docs couldn't be migrated either), and search and sync them.
    Surf with my laptop via tether.
    Choose from hundreds of apps.

Now which one is a step back in time (and _some_ features)? Right now, the pretty browser and contact synergy look great. But it's really more a toy than tool until core/PIM and biz apps catch up (for some of we users, not knocking those who don't need that - I'm still recommending it to my girl, who wants one, but doesn't have any particular amount of legacy data.)

Note, I'm not anti-pre. (I want one) But it's a bit early for me.
    As someone said earlier, very succinctly. I need it to be a productivity enhancer, not a productivity drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogpre View Post
    Centros arent' so bad. With mine, I can download/surf/search faster than on my old 650.

Compared to the Pre, I can
    VERY easily fit it in my pocket.
    Forward texts, search ALL the build in applications (PIM stuff). Copy and Paste from/to almost any field.
    Have a desktop interface (editing/entering)
    Have a desktop interface (backing-up/syncing)
    Have a lot of expandable memory.
    Sync my tasks
    Access years of memos (I wouldn't buy the next Mac or PC if all my old word and excel docs couldn't be migrated either), and search and sync them.
    Surf with my laptop via tether.
    Choose from hundreds of apps.

Now which one is a step back in time (and _some_ features)? Right now, the pretty browser and contact synergy look great. But it's really more a toy than tool until core/PIM and biz apps catch up (for some of we users, not knocking those who don't need that - I'm still recommending it to my girl, who wants one, but doesn't have any particular amount of legacy data.)

Note, I'm not anti-pre. (I want one) But it's a bit early for me.
    As someone said earlier, very succinctly. I need it to be a productivity enhancer, not a productivity drain.
    Hard to argue with that. I played with the Pre for a couple of hours and love the device. But bottom line, I would lose productivity if I got the Pre today for the above reasons, in addition to:

- no Lotus Notes email sync
    - no syncing of memos
    - no PDAReach-type functionality (being able to use your computer keyboard and monitor to input directly to the phone)

But I suspect most if not all of these things are coming, at which point I would definitely consider jumping from the Centro to the Pre. In the meantime, damn right Centro's aren't so bad! Mine's holding me over until the Pre fills in these gaps (which I'm confident with time it will).
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm III > Palm V > Sony Clie S300 > Palm m505 > Sony Clie N710C > Sony Clie N760C > Sony Clie T615C > Sony Clie NR70 > Sony Clie TG50 > Handspring Treo 600 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo 700p > Palm Centro
    I went from a 700p to a Centro. Missed the keyboard on the 700p for awhile but the smaller form factor of the Centro alone made it worthwhile. Ever try to listen to music on a 700p/755p at a gym? How about carry one around in pair jeans shorts or athletic shorts or athletic spandex like sweats? Way too thick and heavy. They are both great in their own respects. The Centro is better for consumer life whereas the bigger keyboard/screen of a 755p might be better for your pro life.

Going back to Repeat events, I am seeing posts start to pop up on other websites. I just posted something to Palm's blog describing the issue and requesting they look at providing an update for it. They normally respond to me or anyone who posts a question that is asked respectfully and intelligently.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    When it comes to smart phones you always have to bite the bullet to move forward. I wasn't happy with all the quirks of my Treo 600P and when I upgraded to the 700P there was alot of new issues I had to deal with. Now with my 800w I can show you a whole list of things I don't like but what are my options. If I'm not with my smartphone for just a few minutes I am really uncomfortable. Having a smartphone is almost like having a Women because you can't live with them and you can't live without them. The bottom line is when I upgrade 8/1 from my 800w to the Pre I will have a list of grievances but I won't look back. Next year when I upgrade to the Pre2 I'll have a whole new list of grievances but I still won't look back. Thats just the way it is.
    600P, 700P, Current 800W
    Daughter Centro
    http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com...elief-minutes/ The ultimate smartphone!!!!!!
    I was so excited to get it Saturday morning. I had numerous problems with crashes and some of the other bugs mentioned. There are some application issues that finally killed it for me. I returned it today to Sprint, and got a replacement for my old Treo 800W and purchased a Treo Pro.

Deal killers for me were:

The Pre wouldn't sync all my Exchange calendar events. I had some that were created days ago, and no matter what, they wouldn't sync with the Pre. I would have missed meetings if I didn't catch this.

There is no way to see a list of your day's activities in a list format. You have to look at the Calendar, and scroll around to see what you have.

The Calendar application wouldn't remember what Exchange accounts I wanted displayed in the Calendar. I have 3 Exchange accounts, but only use a calendar for one account. The Pre kept reverting back to showing all 3.

It's too easy to accidentally move calendar events to other days or times. I clicked to scroll on my calendar, and it selected the calendar event and moved it. I had to go back through old email to figure out when I had committed to a meeting held today because the Pre let me move it mistakenly when I lifted my finger.

No meeting requests for Calendar (sending or accepting). Absolutely essential for me and all of my staff.

The Pre creates is own categories and caused problems with my Exchange server. I think these categories messed up my Outlook views, but am not 100% sure of this. I had to restore Outlook to the factory views to get my Outlook working again. I tried it from 2 different machines to make sure it wasn't a local PC issue.

Tasks can't be sorted or use categories. I can't believe this one. I have about 500 pending tasks in my Exchange account, and this is crazy.

If you have more than one Exchange account set up, the Task application requires that both of them show up in Tasks. If you try to remove one of the accounts from Tasks, it tries to remove then entire Exchange account, rather than just the tasks for that account.

Notes are not integrated with Exchange. I need this without question for lists of things that are referred to in Outlook when using my laptop, or 2 other machines.

The keyboard is hard to use if you need to press the Shift key or Orange Key and click on a key in the upper left corner of the keyboard.

The cover for the micro USB port is ridiculous. It's a total pain to try to charge the Pre in a car.

In a couple of cases, I would feel the screen stuttering under my finger.

The Pre needs a simple home screen that is configurable for upcoming events, tasks, etc so you can see important topics in one screen (like the home screen for Windows Mobile).

The cut/copy/paste is too hard. It should be accomplished with one hand, and not require the gymnastics of 2 hands.

The use of white space and font size is wasteful. On my old Treo, I could get a long list of tasks with relevant information. On the Pre, there is more of a focus on large text and white space, so I can't see much on the screen without scrolling a lot.

It's hard to edit the browsers location bar if you are at a URL, and want to modify the URL in the bar to go to a different location within the same website. Somehow I did a Google search and ended up on a different language website version of Google. I tried to edit the URL bar to point it to the US version and couldn't get it done.

I'm so disappointed in the Pre. I had to return it and go old school with a Palm Pro and Windows Mobile, and set up Good.com on it. The iPhone is not an option for me because of some of some similar application limitations.

I'm bummed. I'll look at it again in 6 months.
    Given that this is your first and only post. Sounds like you are a fanboy. So, what's your point in posting here anyway? Keep with what you like and let each of us do the same. Bye, bye!
Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast