Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
    Thanks for this post. I've struggled to not rush to update to the Pre, because as much as I want to have something better than my Centro (which is by no means perfect), I am just afraid the Pre won't be it for me.

Ive never understood this "new" allure to all touchscreen. I've used touchscreen Palm's for years, and was amazed at how much easier things were when I got my Centro and started actually using the d-pad (I rarely used it on my TX). Once I started using it, I loved the ability to use it one-handed, and don't like the idea of going back. One of my main reasons for holding off on the Pre is the lack of d-pad.

Palm OS started off as all touchscreen, and slowly migrated to a combo of touch/d-pad. I just never understand why companies come out with new devices, and take several steps back at the same time they take several steps forward.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still very excited to see something besides garnet see the light of day, and am still very hopeful that eventually the webOS will have a phone that appeals to me.

All that said, those are my own thoughts BEFORE seeing one for myself, so I'm anxious to learn what others think that have used that may have been on the fence like me. I come here to get user's opinions, and would much rather read posts like this, than just a random gripe, rant, or even fanboy post.
    sorry for the duplicate
    Last edited by rogpre; 06/08/2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: duplicate
    I'd be interested in knowing the age of some of the people with gripes. I read some of these posts and they just sound like grumpy old men unable to adapt to change.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kineticvision View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing the age of some of the people with gripes. I read some of these posts and they just sound like grumpy old men unable to adapt to change.
    From the posts I've seen, Gekko is still a young man with hormones raging, so drop this line of thinking.

I appreciate Gekko giving it a serious go and actually offering real issues.

I'm also coming from a Centro, but I was never a Centro power user, and that may be the main reason I love the new phone.

However, I am struggling with some ergonomic issues and hoping that I'll eventually adjust and they'll go away. I keep accidentally doing gestures while simply trying to handle the phone and then having to recover from those gestures. Typing on the keyboard is a dream compared to my Centro, but holding the phone for two-handed typing is proving awkward.

It's been real Gekko.
    Guys,

Let's completely forget about disliking the Pre's GUI in terms of ease vs Palm OS. I agree with many that is more about learning to do thinks different ways. But if you can't admit that the Pre is a mish mash of really great and also equally disappointing then you are either blinding yourself by the really good or never use the other functionality. If there are workarounds for all the shortcomings or are different ways to do things, please, please, please suggest some constructive ideas because I REALLY want to find a way of not going back to the Centro. Here they are:

1) Tasks - No Reoccuring Tasks?!? : I pulled my all my data over from the Palm Desktop. Then Sunday night, I realized that I forgotten to take my medical injection for that night at the preset time. Normally a reoccuring task in my Centro wails to let me know that the preset time to take it has arrived. Well guess what I found? There is no such thing as reoccuring tasks in the PRE?!? In addition to using that for critical medical chores such as taking multiple medications throughout the day, I also rely on reoccuring tasks at work and in my personal life such as when the montly results are due, when the semi annual worker reviews need to be done, when my credit card bills, and multiple other things are due. This is absolutely critical.

2) Calendar - There is no today view combining tasks and appointments. Q: Would that have been so hard to include?

3) Contacts - No Anniversaries: How could day leave anniversaries out of the Contacts function? Missing anniversaries can be just as deadly as missing a medical injection for a guy!! I can probably work Even not remembering how many years the anniversary was for can be a sore spot. This one I can work around though by making it a reoccuring calendar event and just putting the year of the original anniversary as a note. This is more of a warning to you guys who pulled your data over and don't want you wife to get sour on you for a week because you were dependent upon your Centro to give a week's notice heads up!

As someone above was absolutely correct about, there will eventually be 3rd party apps that will address these issues - hopefully it will be Agendus for WebOS. I am okay with that for working around items 2) and 3). Item 1) however, could cause me to get seriouslly or lose me my job if I miss things.

Before anyone mentions using Classic (i.e. the Palm emulator), I have been using it for SplashID and Splash Shopper but guess what? It has crashed on many occassions and I have not even loaded Agendus on it yet. It is also difficult to use without a stylus. The smaller size of the PalmOS fonts were not designed for thumbs and using the virtual D-PAD often results in my inadvertantly jumping to a new alert that has just popped up and leaving the emulator.

I am definitely going to give it the 30 days so if you fellas could PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give me a workaround for reocurring tasks I would be most indebted. It would be heart wrenching to lose the Web, SMS, and all the great apps that are already in the store such as Fandango, NY Times, and all the great ones that will be coming just because the PIM functions were ineffective. But it would be much worse to get sick or screw up at my job at a time when my company is looking for excuses to single someone out in the next round of downsizing. Ironically, the PIM is also one of the most deal breaking features of the iPhone too. Everyone took it for granted that Palm would use their usual PIM special spauce to make it pretty darn tight as usual. It kind of makes me wonder about all the Apple developers that came over to Palm and if they were the same ones that focused on other things other than the PIM when they were at Apple too.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 06/08/2009 at 11:11 AM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    The funny thing is we knew most of this stuff well before hand and it was hammered out for two weeks prior to launch yet many fanboi's here defended the decisions and told people they were nuts and to work around the issues. Sort of funny to see you post this now.

I'd give it some time if I were you but to each his own. Lots of those issues are fairly simple software related fixes that should come over the next couple of months incrementally.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Obviously the Pre won't work for everyone, and the OP has certainly laid out why it's not for him in good detail. Don't jump on the guy for stating his opinion. For me, the Pre is a night and day improvement over my Treo 650, which I bought when that phone was released (using my discount from the Treo roadshow no less!). There are certainly some features of my 650 that I'll miss, but I suspect once I get enough time with the Pre under my belt, I may not miss those features as much as I do now. I will agree that not being able to use SD cards or some other type of extra storage other than the on-board memory is a bummer. With the ability to save data to a high capacity card, I could completely put down my iPod, while working on large files without fear of storage coming up short. But even that is potentially addressed via Google Documents. So far, this phone is a solid hit for me, and if I had to nitpick, I'd say the only thing I'm trying to sort out is how to avoid fingerprinting the thing to death. A case and screen protector may be the answer to that problem. Once I pick up an extra battery, my other main concern will be addressed. No crashes so far since I picked it up on Saturday morning, and that includes my first update to the latest software.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    You guys should show a little respect. You don't personally know the OP to be able to make any assertions on his age.

I agree with some of the comments about giving the Pre some more play time.

I love my Pre, but can understand the frustration that some of you palm OS users are mentioning. Good luck OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    1) Tasks - No Reoccuring Tasks?!? : I pulled my all my data over from the Palm Desktop. Then Sunday night, I realized that I forgotten to take my medical injection for that night at the preset time. Normally a reoccuring task in my Centro wails to let me know that the preset time to take it has arrived. Well guess what I found? There is no such thing as reoccuring tasks in the PRE?!? In addition to using that for critical medical chores such as taking multiple medications throughout the day, I also rely on reoccuring tasks at work and in my personal life such as when the montly results are due, when the semi annual worker reviews need to be done, when my credit card bills, and multiple other things are due. This is absolutely critical.
    I haven't played with my wives Pre as much as I'd like, but I'm sure that the Alarm clock will do this. I set up her alarm to go off every weekday. It had other options too. Perhaps some things are in different places/apps now. Change is hard and patient is a virtue.

From what I have seen so far with my wives Pre there are 2 key issues for me.

1). Battery life sucks, even with Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi, etc off.

2). Reception isn't great either and the phone switches between 1x, EV and roaming quite a bit. This could have a big impact on battery life.

I think it's a great little phone with quite a few little things missing right now that I am hoping that Palm will fix. I sincerely hope that by the time August comes around (when I am due for an upgrade) that the Pre will be so much better
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati View Post
    Reception isn't great either and the phone switches between 1x, EV and roaming quite a bit. This could have a big impact on battery life.
    My rough experimentation puts the Pre at roughly one bar less reception than my Centro, at least around my house and yard.
    Gekko, for as long as you've wanted the Pre, and as passionate as you've been, why not stick it out a least a week or so? You'll still be able to return it. I'm a PalmOS user from the very first PalmPilot, so I'm experiencing adjustment challenges with WebOS too. That being said, I can see the potential so I'm going to stick with it. However, some of your issues may make it pointless for you to continue with the Pre right now. The Centro, and PalmOS, are tried and true, so I can't be critical if that's what works for you and you can't afford to be an early adopter with WebOS. Good luck with your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    Why do people insist on posting these stories? They aren't looking for a second opinion... just complaining.
    Because the point of online forums is to gather lots of opinions together into a discussion. This is one of the go-to places for Pre info so if I was a potential buyer I would like to read everyone's opinions. When I build a PC I choose components mainly on the reviews and ratings on newegg. When I choose a restaurant to eat out, I read reviews. This is no different.

The internet and forums in particular are invaluable tools for people trying to make a purchasing decision. No longer are we limited to commercial puffery or sporadic word of mouth. We can easily access hundreds of opinions on any product and make an informed decision.

I know Gecko didn't take this lightly because in the months leading up to release he was one of the more active forum members following every development as it came out. He listed his gripes and the reasoning behind them so that if anyone else has similar needs and wants in a device, they might think again before buying the wrong thing. I think this is what those Sprint memos referred to when they said they cannot afford to sell to the wrong customer. There are certain features still not implemented on the Pre and if a user requires them, it is not the best device for them.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I'm 29, and my first hand experience was somewhat dissapointing. I don't understand why people are crapping on others who have a BAD experience with it. Their needs and expectations are different. So what? Do you work for Sprint or Palm? Do you have stock in their finances and general well being?

I agree with a lot of the OP's sentiments. I'll add my own: closing the apps with a single hand just didn't work for me. I'd flick it away, and it would get stuck half way, and then the app launcher would come up!

My friend with huge hands had no problems, however, and found the phone "useable". He even admits that it's less intuative and slick than the iPhone (and he doesn't even own an iPhone - he have experienced the two devices side by side during our time "phone hunting").

Also, if the demo running on the device is slowing it down considerably, why even load it? Are they trying to deter potential clients? The Sprint store I was checkign it out on even wish their Palm rep didn't put it on there. In fact, one guy completely reset the phone for me to try without the demo running (but had to re-enter all the registration info).

All that said, I'll wait for more apps, and more updates to fix a few issues, before I buy one. I like the general design of the webOS.
    Some of us are ready to cut the chord so to speak while others are still happy living at home with mom and dad at age 30.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Gekko,
    Except for selecting text, I can do everything one handed that I used to do on my 755p (but please note that it took a hack to get PalmOS to select text with one hand)
    I'm not sure what you are talking about, because on my Treo 650 I just put my finger or stylus on the screen and drag it over the selection of text I want to use.
    I can haz your Pre?

Seriously, I'll buy it...
    ^if you use FieldPlus, you can select text one handed.

Anyway, back on topic, I was also a PalmOS user for a long time. Over the years, there had been several changes to PalmOS. As someone mentioned, some of them seemed a step backwards. Similarly now with the new WebOS. I do expect this OS to evolve just as all OSes do.

My suggestion to the OP, don't give up the Centro just yet. For me, I'll carry my 755 for awhile until every app or feature has been ported over to WebOS. Sucks carrying two devices, but I really like potential of the Pre.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    My suggestion to the OP, don't give up the Centro just yet. For me, I'll carry my 755 for awhile until every app or feature has been ported over to WebOS. Sucks carrying two devices, but I really like potential of the Pre.
    I already carry two devices (BB Curve & Centro). You advice would have me carrying three.

I agree that the Pre is a very interesting new Smartphone and has a great deal of potential. However, I require more of my smartphone than potential. If I am going to replace my Centro, the new phone needs to be better. So far the only clearly superior feature the Pre has over the Centro is the Web browser. The multi-tasking ability seems negated by the memory leaks people are having. Shame there isn't a Windows style a task manager app, then people could see which apps were leaking memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    I'm not sure what you are talking about, because on my Treo 650 I just put my finger or stylus on the screen and drag it over the selection of text I want to use.
    Perhaps you have special talents. I found on my 755p that it was darn near impossible to select text accurately with the same hand that was holding the phone (the definition of "one handed"). And I would be really surprised if you could use the stylus with the same hand that is holding the phone. Yeah, you can use your thumb, but I found it impossible. However, I found something, perhaps it was fieldplus, that allowed me to just place the cursor, hit shift, then use the dpad to select text. Worked very well. Best hack available, in my opinion. I think a similar hack could allow you to double-click the orange button and then move the cursor without holding it on the Pre.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I think I am going back to pen and pencils and my typewriters.....PCs are so over-rated. Cellphones and smartphones....what a joke, who needs a mobile phone when you have a landline with unlimited domestic calling minutes.

Technological innovations and progress are for suckers. Why change when what we have are working perfectly?
    I'm tempted to be as smarta$$ as you, but I'll try to remain professional.

If the "new" PC I bought did a poorer job of typing letters than my old typewriter, I might very well take it back. If my cellphone only completed calls 10% of the time, I might well give it up and stick to a landline.

And if my new super-duper, synergistic, cloud connected smartphone only does half of what my old smartphone does, and is less reliable to boot, well, I guess the smart thing to do is to keep it, and say "I didn't need all those productivity features my old phone gave me. Newer technology is always better, even when it doesn't work as well as the old stuff."

Hey, knock yourself out. Spend hours and days and weeks figuring your way around the limitations of the current Pre software. I use my Treo as a tool, to organize my day. And, sadly enough, the P-OS Treo is a better tool for that than the current Pre. The calendar (especially Datebk6) is far better. Tasks and Notes are far better. There are many more sync options available, and syncing works, all the time every time. I've got IMAP push email, EAS email, POP email, web browsing, music and video on my old P-OS device. The keyboard is excellent (755p), and the screen hasn't cracked even though I carry it in my pocket all the time.

Are there some things the Pre does better than a Treo or Centro? Absolutely. But there are many places where it falls behind.

Will that change in a month, or 6, or 12? Maybe, but we don't really know. Right now, I'm too busy to have my productivity tool become a productivity drain.

And to the posters who say "why bother posting this?", I say why bother reading it if you don't care. But those of us looking for real information about the Pre, prior to a buying decision, want to see the good and the bad, not just fanboy joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Enjoy your Centro Gekko. To each their own. I can't even fathom touching the Palm OS, never have been able to. If I leave the Pre its back to the powerful and robust WinMo or to the easy to use touch friendly iPhone. However, WebOS is by far the best 1st generation OS I've ever used on a phone or PDA and almost all my issues with it are software based that can be fixed.
    Best 1 Gen OS? Maybe. The software can be fixed? Undoubtedly, but can isn't the same as will, and there's no timeframe for when it might happen. I need to USE my phone, not wait for some unpromised update that might make it do what I need it to do now.

I suspect you've never spent much time with P-OS. It's clean, easy to use (dare I say "intuitive"?), and has the best PIM apps in the business. It's not pretty, and it certainly has it's faults, but for getting work done it's easier than a WM phone, more powerful than an iPhone, even version 3.0 (and the Pre), and both easier and more powerful than a Blackberry. If you want a pretty toy that you can flash around to your friends, it's not for you, but as a tool to get things done, it's still pretty impressive.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 06/08/2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.