Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast
    So far, I have had no issues with my Pre. Does it get hot? Yes, probably because I've been playing with it ever since I got it. I haven't had any reception problems that are no different from the Q I replaced. I live in a mid-rise condo building. I get horrible signals when in the building but once I drive out to my street, I get a full signal. This happened with my Q and the same as the Pre. Adding to all the signal searching is Wi-Fi drainage so I have an abnormal battery usage when at home than most people but it's still manageable. Nothing that makes me want to return the phone. So far so good.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I have been a phone junkie for a while now, from Iphone to Bolds and I can say for sure that this phone is not ready for prime time. No support for corporate email using RSA and unusable battery life for a typical work day means "Palm is out of business in a year". I must say that without a trackball like feature one handed operation is truly not easy; the same could be said for the Iphone but I digress.

Blackberry has earned and continues to earn my respect......palm should take a lesson from BB and get their game right befroe they waste peoples time and money.
    Palm didn't provide a way to import Tasks or Memos into my three new Pre Devices? And what about thousands of Datebook or Calendar entries? C'mon!?

I've got more than 13,000 records I need/use from 16 years of MEMOS, CALENDAR events with attached notes (complete with DatebookPlus fonts, formats, colors, icons), and critical data that I've recorded in TASKS, etc.

The reason I didn't switch to an I-phone, or any other OS for that matter, is because all my palmOS data, and related functions, are more valuable to me (and my business) than the device itself.

I CANNOT believe Palm has ignored we remaining hundreds of thousands of Palm customers who MUST HAVE the ability to transfer/sync all of their past data (some as far back as their US Robotics devices) or they cannot switch to something new!

I bought three Pre's yesterday (I had to hold my nose cuz I absolutely hate sprint). I love what the Pre's do, but the more I'm finding out what they CAN'T do I realize I'm going to have to return them until someone makes a device or enough workarounds to import all of my data in a usable format. I guess I'm going to have to keep buying used 755p's until there ain't no more around. And, frankly, waiting until VZ or ATT either have a working Pre or something even better strikes me as more preferable than giving sprint even a dime of my money.

I am so bummed. I really thought the Pre was finally the freaking answer.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    any word on an extended battery coming out?
    Xpdnc, you are going to be waiting forever.
    my issues -

1. Sound Quality of Phone - Awful hissing and humming in background.
    2. i like the Contacts, Calendar PIMs of the old PalmOS. it just works. the webOS PIMs aren't as clean, simple, intuitive, and easy as PalmOS.
    3. keyboard - while the keyboard isn't smaller than Centro, it is more uncomfortable to use. why? the end of the keyboard is sharp and it slices at my hand sometimes when i try to type. the sides are sharp too. also, the whole keyboard piece (that bottom of the phone) is thin and hard to hold vs. a candy bar. and the device is not balance properly when open. i always feel like i need two hands to use it. unwieldy and flimsy.
    4. slider - i'm tired of opening an closing it to get at the keyboard.
    5. responsiveness consistency unpredictability of WebOS - it didn't always do what i wanted it to do. i'd press a button and sometimes it would respond and other times not. Centro PalmOS might be simple but it JUST WORKED. WebOS has a mind of its own. OS gets shaky and chuggy and wobbly and it scares me holding my data. it was also unpredictable - many times doing a different thing for the same action.
    6. battery life sucked. abysmal. all of this pushing and pulling and synergizing has a price.
    7. multitasking - what multitasking? saving and icon to be brought up later is not multitasking! on my old Centro i can listen to STREAMING RADIO like Pockettunes while i surf the web or do email. i can't stream Sprint TV/Radio and do something else on the Pre. havent tried Pandora but i want live radio stations! and i opened up like 5 basic cards (3 were PIM) and it made me shut them down WTF? jumping back and forth from card to card with a hefty elay is not fun multitasking for me.
    8. WindowsMedia Streaming - i like bloomberg radio etc. - can't stream it on PRE! Centro had no problem with WMA streams!
    9. Synergy - i don't like it. i want a CENTRALIZED MERGED location for my data and the ability to move it whereever i want. with Pre/WebOS - in EAS my data is trapped in that EAS work server account. if i leave my employer, i better TRY to back up the Outlook data from the Outlook side in the nick of time. because once i'm disconnected from that server - the data is trapped in the PRE and no way to get it out. i don't like this. with Centro, all i have to do is change the EAS settings to a new server and sync and i'm good to go. can't do that with PRE. it puts my data in a locked proprietary silo that i can't get at.
    10. Google Calendar/Contacts - suck.
    11. Lack of SD Card - sucks. i want to Auto Backup my data to SD.
    12. flimsy/clumsy USB door - yeah i can use touchstone to charge it but what about in the car?
    13. No 5 Way - i miss that easy simple navigation. poking around with my finger is inaccurate and clumsy.
    14. No "Select All" in Copy/Cut/Paste. sorry that Orange/Shift Key dance doesn't cut it.
    15. Gesture area - annoying. holding the device i hit it all the time and do stuff and launch stuff i dont want to.
    16. intermittent charging failure is a problem. i can't have a device that sometimes wants to charge and sometimes doesn't. not sure if this is a software or hardware bug but i'm tired of trying to track it down. my phone is my lifeline and i cant have a phone that sometimes wants to charge and sometimes doesn't.
    17. Browser - seems great at first but the font is so small - in tired of constantly pinching and squeezing.

there's probably a few more that i can think of and will add later.

i've used PalmOS devices for 10+ years - III, IIIx, V, m505, m515, T, T3, 600, 650, 700p, Centro and i REALLY wanted to like this phone but i can't. i never used an iphone so i can't compare. but it pains me to write this and it pains me to return this phone. it also pains my wallet because i gave my perfectly good Centro to my sister on Saturday so i have to buy a brand new Centro. it will only be $50 after rebate but it's the principle. at least my sister has a nice phone she likes.

there are some great things about the Pre - the beautiful display is nice. and the GMAIL IMAP PUSH instant email is nice too. but i can't find much more.

this has been a good experience although a little painful. the positives are it forced me to clean up my PIM data and move to GMAIL for personal email - something i've been putting off forever. and i had the thrill of a new device - which faded too soon.

lessons learned -

1. always do a "Frozen in Time" Last Backup of your old device in its format before you migrate to the new device. On SD Card or USB Drive if you can. you need the time machine to get back if there's trouble in the future.
    2. always keep your old device and accessories for a minimum of 2 weeks before you sell or give them away. even if you THINK you love the new device at first.
    3. be skeptical of 1.0 generation devices. don't believe the hype.

i hope all of you that bought the PRE do really enjoy it. this is obviously just my personal opinion. so i go get another Centro and put alll of my data back on it so all will be right again in my world. i've said this before but PalmOS is like an old shoe. it's not the flashiest thing, but it sure is comfortable and worn in and just feels good. my only concern is - where do i go when PalmOS is EOL?

10am can't come quick enough!

best wishes and good luck to all!
    wow.........
    Interesting.
    My biggest fear with WebOS was that its not as "just do it" as PalmOS.......
    haha is this post a joke, if at least you said going back to the Treo Pro, but centro, to funny.
    Why do people insist on posting these stories? They aren't looking for a second opinion... just complaining.
    Thanks for that well thought-out piece Gekko. I too fear the lack of an SD card backup, the "flukes" of a brand-new OS, and the slider approach to a keyboard that's nowhere near as good as my 680's is. Oh well - next generation?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    @Gekko, I'm like you -- 11 year PalmOS user, so coming over the Pre requires a bit of an adjustment. However, I'm going to try to make this work, because when PalmOS and the Centro go EOL, there's no going back (unless you want to buy on the secondhand market).

I haven't gotten in to work yet to sync my Palm Desktop PIM stuff over, so I can't speak to the calendar, tasks, or memos. The contacts sync'ing with Facebook is nice. I was always having to manually hunt down people's new Facebook profile photos to replace the 5 year old image I had in Palm Desktop.

Battery life isn't so great, but today's my first work day, so we'll see. The Palm Centro's battery life was abysmal at first, too, until I turned off e-mail fetch every 15 minutes and beam receive (both of which I'd used on Treo 600/650/700p/755p with no problem).

No doubt the webOS is missing features. These will come later. At least it's not so crash-prone like my 650/700p were. The Centro did stabilize things somewhat, possibly because of a larger heap or DbCache size.

I've been through these OS migrations before ... DOS-->Windows, OS/2-->Windows NT, Windows XP --> Linux, Linux --> MacOS X. You just have to force yourself to learn the new system, and you'll be a pro at it in no time!

At least wait 25 more days until you have to go back to the Centro. :-)
    I think I am going back to pen and pencils and my typewriters.....PCs are so over-rated. Cellphones and smartphones....what a joke, who needs a mobile phone when you have a landline with unlimited domestic calling minutes.

Technological innovations and progress are for suckers. Why change when what we have are working perfectly?
    You adopted a release version of a phone, you should have expected problems. Especially in terms of software bugs from a brand new OS. Everyone needs to take a big breath and give palm a week or two to address concerns. The next month should set the pace for how quickly any/all issues get resolved and how quickly new features get added.
    I agree with the OP's sentiments, for the most part. Now I'm just not sure if I want to go back to my Treo 650, or spend a little to get a 755p or Centro
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Enjoy your Centro Gekko. To each their own. I can't even fathom touching the Palm OS, never have been able to. If I leave the Pre its back to the powerful and robust WinMo or to the easy to use touch friendly iPhone. However, WebOS is by far the best 1st generation OS I've ever used on a phone or PDA and almost all my issues with it are software based that can be fixed.

And I swear, did some people just take a whetstone to their pre or something? "Slices"? Really? I loved dieter on the live chat he had friday joking on the Gizmodo reviewer by "shaving" his face with the bottom of the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    there are some great things about the Pre - the beautiful display is nice. and the GMAIL IMAP PUSH instant email is nice too. but i can't find much more.

lessons learned -

1. always do a "Frozen in Time" Last Backup of your old device in its format before you migrate to the new device. On SD Card or USB Drive if you can. you need the time machine to get back if there's trouble in the future.
    2. always keep your old device and accessories for a minimum of 2 weeks before you sell or give them away. even if you THINK you love the new device at first.
    3. be skeptical of 1.0 generation devices. don't believe the hype.
    Good lessons to learn. I currently own two Centros because of concern about EOL.

BTW I have had GMAIL IMAP PUSH instant email on my PalmOS devices for the last three years thanks to Chattermail. It's a much better email program than the Pre's. Unfortunately Palm EOLed it at the end of May.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Look dont be fan boys some of you.
    Every single one of these are valid points.
    For casual users, this phone is great. For people looking to replace their iPhone even these phones are great because I had an iphone for a month and as a Business power user, the iPhone was and still is useless to me and while the Pre isnt AS useless to me, its still no good to do what I need which is to be able to do things very rapidly. This is about efficiency for me not playing with a new experimental beta toy.

I will challenge anyone to beat me on my Centro in a speed test with a pre on regular day to day activities with one hand while running around in an airport or while driving down the highway which includes copy and pasting with one thumb. Having the contextual menu button removed really slowed down straight up efficiency without a doubt.

(don't tell me you don't text/google maps/contact search + drive ever because you know you have)

Now it has just become that much more dangerous because the Pre really requires your full attention to do anything one handed with the keyboard open without dropping the thing.

This sucks.. i really looked forward to this phone.
    Gekko , my advice would be to wait a week or so. The first day I was ready to jump right back to my centro. but 3 days later Im getting it. Its such a beaustiful device. The receptiion issue is my only concern. I will play with it for a week or two and see if it changes. But if you do go back I cant think of a better device to go back to. The Centro is rock solid if a bit outdated. I keep going back to the Centro ( after touch pro , 800w) but this time I think I am staying . You got 30 days Gekko, use it and see what happens. Best of luck!
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    haha is this post a joke, if at least you said going back to the Treo Pro, but centro, to funny.
    If all everyone said is "I love this, it's the ultimate", then this would be nothing more than another Apple Fan Boy site, with the word Palm replacing the word Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    Why do people insist on posting these stories? They aren't looking for a second opinion... just complaining.
    Perhaps because some of us are interested.
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast