Page 37 of 59 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, since the defect rate of the Pre is supposedly only 1% then your experience is 1 in 100,000,000. You should go buy some lottery tickets!

Of course, the defect rate of the Pre isn't 1%. It's more like 75%. That's the only way to explain someone getting four bad units in a row.
    It's way more than 1%. But even if it's 7-10%, this guy is 4 for 4, what the??? and the defect rate for 4 for 4 would have to be 75%+ for phones that are fine in the store than get broken over a couple of weeks.

Can we have an "i have to exchange my pre" subforum please. And a "check your pre before leaving the store" sticky at the top.
    Last edited by allthewayhome; 06/30/2009 at 04:03 PM.
    I'd be extremely surprised if the actual number of defective units was as low as 1%. I was lucky and landed a perfect one, but my wife has now been through 3 units. The first one had a failed proximity sensor. The second had several dead pixels and the 1mm gap issue/extremely loose slider. Tried a third but didn't even leave the store with it as it had an even greater gap. Have a 4th on order for her..crossing fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Your problem is that you aren't clear as to the scope of the word "hype". Hype comes from either the company selling a product, OR those who get excited and report about it in overly glowing, positive terms. Therefore, "speculation of others", when made public, is part of the "hype". Next time be more precise and then I won't be mislead by your posts. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Why do people on this forum constantly say this kind of stuff? What is your usage time? How much of it was standby? How is the above helpful at all. My iPhone lasts over a week in standby mode, but I could conceivably run it down in 2.5 hours doing the right (wrong) combination of things. Please don't interepret this post as angry in any way, but the above quote is absolutely useless.

Guys you're off topic. Please keep to comments on why the Pre sucks and you're returning it! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    I really wish they'd charge a $10-15 restocking fee. I wonder how many defective units would be returned then. Much less the return of a return of a return of a return.

This free return (replace with new) policy is just a way for anal people to keep searching for some magical perfect phone at the expense of Sprint, Palm, and all their customers. People like this are abusing the system and are the reason why there is such a huge markup in the cost of the phone and why there are these insane insurance fees.
    There is NOTHING abusive about demanding a phone free of hardware defects. While I agree that one of two bad pixels is not reason enough to return a phone, there are a lot of people having build issues (the slider gap is the big one) that will likely get worse over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Guys you're off topic. Please keep to comments on why the Pre sucks and you're returning it! LOL

It sucks for MANY reasons...how's that for being on-topic?? So many reasons, in fact, that I didn't buy one. Seeing it in person turned me off after having high hopes it would be my next phone.
    I am on my third pre (clearcoat was peeling of first, 2nd had heat issues and oreo slider). I never noticed the grid before, but I can see it all the time on this one. Can eveyone see their's? It looks like dust specs on the screen, is this normal? I like just about everything else with my current pre but I think the text is blurry and I wonder if the grid issue is a factor.
    It sucks for MANY reasons...how's that for being on-topic?? So many reasons, in fact, that I didn't buy one. Seeing it in person turned me off after having high hopes it would be my next phone.
    Aha, so you ARE a troll. Thanks for exposing yourself so clearly.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, since the defect rate of the Pre is supposedly only 1% then your experience is 1 in 100,000,000. You should go buy some lottery tickets!

Of course, the defect rate of the Pre isn't 1%. It's more like 75%. That's the only way to explain someone getting four bad units in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Someone is VERY bad at math.

The problem could be as low as 5-10% and you will still have people getting 3 or 4 bad units in a row. It's not only possible, but probable.

Also, some people are extremely picky so "twisting like an oreo" may actually only be a slight wobble which is to be expected in a slider phone and therefore should not count in the defect rate. Some people may even return a phone because it has dirt on the cover that should be thrown away right away anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    No, I don't see any sane people thinking it's a 1% defect rate. I don't see any sane people thinking it's a 75% defect rate either (you). Your math is bad if you think it takes a 75% rate.

This guy is replacing a unit because he thinks the slider is too loose. Is that really a defective unit, should that count in the mathematical equation? You give that same unit to someone else and they think they have a perfect pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    It's way more than 1%. But even if it's 7-10%, this guy is 4 for 4, what the??? and the defect rate for 4 for 4 would have to be 75%+ for phones that are fine in the store than get broken over a couple of weeks.

Can we have an "i have to exchange my pre" subforum please. And a "check your pre before leaving the store" sticky at the top.
    Wow. Wow. Clipcarl, good luck on the fifth, sorry to hear that. I think so far you will have the record.

The second wow is directed at the people debating the math statistics. That one is actually pretty funny. Math example follows.

Let's for a second assume the stock of Pres is a fixed number. Then let's also assume that the percentage of defective units is fixed (1%, 15%, for this example it does not matter). No matter how many times you exchange your phone you still have the same "chance" of getting a defective phone. No matter how many times. No matter what. You chance is the percentage of phones defective. If you vary the stock of Pres but still keep the percentage defective the same, you still have the same chance. Just because you have a larger pool of phones to choose from, your pool of defective phones also went up due to it being a percentage. The only thing that slightly skews this math is that you obviously will not get the same phone you are returning so that reduces the available stock by 1 phone thus increasing your chance of getting a defective unit since the percentage of defective units is still the same.

Anyway, I do hope you get a working phone clipcarl but unfortunately your chances are still the same assuming everyone agrees there is a fixed percentage of defective phones whatever that percentage may be.

Edit: Also, after rereading the posts it appears that you guys were talking about the probability of him getting four phones in a row that were defective and not the probability of him getting a defective phone. Four times in a row does have less of a chance to happen. Boy math is exciting!
    Last edited by bpdamas; 06/30/2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    The slider issue/oreo twisting issue can be fixed. The screws under the battery cover can be tightened. I've played around with it, and if not every screw has the same tension, you get the twisting issue. If you have a phone that twists, but it has no other issues. I would keep it. It's not hard to fix.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    My wife and I are planning to return our Pres on Friday (July 3rd) due to numerous signal issues. The device itself is amazing, but its clear that Sprint service in my area is absolutely terrible. We still have our Verizon account, and those phones "just work" wherever we are. I drop more calls per day with the Pre on Sprit than I did for the previous two years with Verizon.

When the Pre comes out on Verizon's network, I'll be first in line to buy it. If Sprint would add more Verizon towers to their PRL for this area and sign an EVDO roaming agreement with Verizon, I would keep it. But, at the end of the day, Sprint refuses to provide decent service in my area and refuses to allow their phones to take advantage of the service that does exist here, so they are losing us as customers.

I know Verizon might limit the phone's capabilities, and I know we'll pay much more to have two Pres through the, but in the end I need a reliable provider and Sprint has proven itself to be precisely the opposite of that.

We wanted this to work. We really did. Both my wife and I are terribly sad to be going back to a dumb phone and a blackberry respectively, but missed calls, dropped calls, overly compressed calls, and calls breaking up constantly are just too much to deal with for two years.

To Palm: Amazing device. Please release it or something like it on a decent carrier and I will gladly give you my money once again.

To Sprint: Stand up and take notice. I actually started to believe your marketing campaigns that things were different now and you aren't the terrible carrier your reputation makes you out to be, so I gave you a 25+ day chance. You failed. Your customer service agents and techs were all very friendly, but I had to call them from my Verizon blackberry because your network couldn't maintain a call as long as you kept me on hold. They were almost all very sympathetic, but not one could do anything to make my phone actually work as a phone where I work and spend much of my time.

I have used the browser on my Pre more this month than I used my blackberry's in the previous two years, and I really will miss the smooth integration of data and life into a nice package that the Pre offers, but I will not miss wondering each time I pick up the phone whether or not I will be able to make or receive a call, and whether the radio signal will hold up long enough for me to convey whatever piece of information needs to be conveyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

You twit! I was merely playing along with your request for being ontopic. Don't be so DENSE next time!
    Quote Originally Posted by DVeng View Post
    My wife and I are planning to return our Pres on Friday (July 3rd) due to numerous signal issues. The device itself is amazing, but its clear that Sprint service in my area is absolutely terrible. We still have our Verizon account, and those phones "just work" wherever we are. I drop more calls per day with the Pre on Sprit than I did for the previous two years with Verizon.

When the Pre comes out on Verizon's network, I'll be first in line to buy it. If Sprint would add more Verizon towers to their PRL for this area and sign an EVDO roaming agreement with Verizon, I would keep it. But, at the end of the day, Sprint refuses to provide decent service in my area and refuses to allow their phones to take advantage of the service that does exist here, so they are losing us as customers.

I know Verizon might limit the phone's capabilities, and I know we'll pay much more to have two Pres through the, but in the end I need a reliable provider and Sprint has proven itself to be precisely the opposite of that.

We wanted this to work. We really did. Both my wife and I are terribly sad to be going back to a dumb phone and a blackberry respectively, but missed calls, dropped calls, overly compressed calls, and calls breaking up constantly are just too much to deal with for two years.

To Palm: Amazing device. Please release it or something like it on a decent carrier and I will gladly give you my money once again.

To Sprint: Stand up and take notice. I actually started to believe your marketing campaigns that things were different now and you aren't the terrible carrier your reputation makes you out to be, so I gave you a 25+ day chance. You failed. Your customer service agents and techs were all very friendly, but I had to call them from my Verizon blackberry because your network couldn't maintain a call as long as you kept me on hold. They were almost all very sympathetic, but not one could do anything to make my phone actually work as a phone where I work and spend much of my time.

I have used the browser on my Pre more this month than I used my blackberry's in the previous two years, and I really will miss the smooth integration of data and life into a nice package that the Pre offers, but I will not miss wondering each time I pick up the phone whether or not I will be able to make or receive a call, and whether the radio signal will hold up long enough for me to convey whatever piece of information needs to be conveyed.
    Are you SURE the issue is the Sprint network and not the phone? I had a Star Tac and Kyocera on Verizon that frequently wouldn't pick up incoming calls. Our LG's work flawlessly on Verizon. I'm sure you are aware that the iPhone has call connectivity issues. Perhaps the Pre is also deficient in it's inherent ability to maintain (or accept) calls. If that's the case, buying the Pre at Verizon won't solve the problem.
    - no calendar invitations
    - no sms forwarding
    - cant customize tones sms/email/calendar reminders
    - BAD reception
    - dropped calls
    - hard to do copy/paste
    this phone was NOT ready for release
    I bet you feel better now?
    Im still on my first Pre and I was thinking about exchanging it for a new one.All I got is heat issues and the screen blotches but I dont know if I sholuld get a new one which might have more problems....
    Are you SURE the issue is the Sprint network and not the phone? I had a Star Tac and Kyocera on Verizon that frequently wouldn't pick up incoming calls. Our LG's work flawlessly on Verizon. I'm sure you are aware that the iPhone has call connectivity issues. Perhaps the Pre is also deficient in it's inherent ability to maintain (or accept) calls. If that's the case, buying the Pre at Verizon won't solve the problem.
    I agree. The problem with the reception seems to be more about the Pre than Sprint. DVeng, you may want to try one of the other Sprint phones at your house or try out an Airave signal booster [well that's not what it is technically] before you rule Sprint out.

However, if the Pre does end up Verizon, I would expect that Verizon would make sure the radio is upgraded to be a little better. I'm sure Sprint will also get a radio at the same time or before.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hey Palm -- Sprint and Best Buy are doing their best to drag you down (unless there is more to the picture than meets the eye).

I'm a long-time ATT customer. Bought the wife an iPhone 1st gen, 1.5 yrs ago. Never bought one for me. When the Palm Pre came out, I liked the UI a lot; played with it in the Sprint store -- webOS makes me *want* to use a smartphone, whereas I merely like iPhone. I liked the openness of the webOS platform a *lot* (I'm a computer engineering prof. & director of the program, I write web apps and real-time embedded systems), and I liked the form factor of the phone a lot more than the iPhone. Love the card-based multitasking, which is much more natural to me than iPhone's UI.

Anyway.

So I bought one at the Sprint store. Turns out it was (most likely) a returned model, with the oreo-twist keyboard-slippage problem. (see the picture ... I'd post links, etc. to other people's stories, but PreCentral wisely disallows newbies to post anything remotely useful. Fail.) The Sprint salesforce told me, "all of our Pres do that." I doubted this, but I went away to look into it further. When I returned after talking to others, the tech guy said, "don't listen to the sales people, it isn't supposed to do that." Thank you, The One Honest Sprint Guy: Oscar.

Went to Best Buy to try my luck there. They tried to sell me a returned phone (had fingerprints on the protective plastic film), which also had the sideways-slippage problem. They *also* said, "all of them do that." I said I'd rather put my name on the waitlist and paid my $50 to do so. That was more than a week ago.

Got a call today from Best Buy: "Your Palm Pre is in." Went down there, was told they'd gotten 10 in. Seemed to good to be true (they were due July 8th, this is more than a week early). It *was* too good to be true: it was a returned model, replete with finger smudges on the protective plastic and the full-on sideways-slippage problem.

Three strikes, you're out. Major bummer ... I like iPhone okay, but not nearly as much as I like webOS and the form factor of the Pre. I certainly don't like the iPhone enough to stand in line for an hour -- after leaving Best Buy, I went to the Apple Store. Yep, even today it is still over an hour wait for a 3GS. Why? All you do is plug the thing into iTunes, and it's activated. Why is there a 1hr wait for "here is my credit card, thank you for the cardboard box, now I go home and plug it in" ... ?

Anyway, I'll swing by the Apple Store tomorrow morning and (hopefully) avoid a line.

The one good point: there is a Palm Pre skin for the iPhone. That'll be my first download.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    I bet you feel better now?
    Definitely qualifies! Has never had one. Doesn't want one. And is still here heaping sh** on it.
    That sucks, you gave it a fair shake. Some people are more persistent, but Palm is lucky that there are people willing to even go three times with it. Hey, I am not gonna bash you for going Apple, they make great products...But I wouldn't buy one. Kidding, I have a macbook, and an iPod.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Wait.... the picture you posted.... THAT is the whole "oreo twisting" business? If that's the most severe of it, then some people on this forum are ridiculous....