Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    What in the name of all that is holy are you talking about?

If you can't follow the argument, move along, there's nothing here for you to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by alasvegas View Post
    Turn OFF the USE GPS. I went from 6-8hrs of battery life to 16-24hrs.
    Why do people on this forum constantly say this kind of stuff? What is your usage time? How much of it was standby? How is the above helpful at all. My iPhone lasts over a week in standby mode, but I could conceivably run it down in 2.5 hours doing the right (wrong) combination of things. Please don't interepret this post as angry in any way, but the above quote is absolutely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    If you can't follow the argument, move along, there's nothing here for you to see.
    Well, apparently, you're having difficulty parsing a sentence or two. I was very clear in what I was saying (the Pre lived up to the hype that Palm/Sprint generated, but not the speculation of others), yet for whatever reason you seem intent on calling me out on it. Through a random proxy, no less.

But, if you have nothing better to do with your time, knock yourself out.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Well, apparently, you're having difficulty parsing a sentence or two. I was very clear in what I was saying (the Pre lived up to the hype that Palm/Sprint generated, but not the speculation of others), yet for whatever reason you seem intent on calling me out on it. Through a random proxy, no less.

But, if you have nothing better to do with your time, knock yourself out.
    Your problem is that you aren't clear as to the scope of the word "hype". Hype comes from either the company selling a product, OR those who get excited and report about it in overly glowing, positive terms. Therefore, "speculation of others", when made public, is part of the "hype". Next time be more precise and then I won't be mislead by your posts. Thanks.
    I've had some bad luck with my Palm Pres.

Pre #1 I bought at a Sprint store on launch day and it had severe screen cloudiness and heat related screen discolorations. I had to wait a week before I could exchange it for Pre #2. It had a warranty date of May something.

Pre #2 had 11 stuck pixels. I have very good eyesight (especially at close distance) so for me stuck pixels are very noticeable. Pre #2 also had a very, very noticeable touchscreen dot grid. I've only heard one other person mention that problem so I think it is very rare which is good because it is very distracting. Pre #2 also developed a case of oreo twist over time. I had to wait nearly 2 weeks to exchange it. Warranty date first week of June.

Pre #3 didn't even make it out of the Sprint store; I counted 9 stuck pixels right there and it was scraped and dirty right out of the box. It looked like someone's footprint was on the screen protector. I like to keep the factory screen protector on while I evaluate the phone in the store and this one was so dirty I couldn't do that. So I just got a refund. Warranty date June 20.

I bought Pre #4 yesterday at a local Walmart. I figure it'll be easier to deal with Walmart if I need to exchange yet again. This Pre (#4) has a much better screen (still some stuck pixels but not too noticeable). Interestingly it had a similar dirt pattern on the screen protector as Pre #3 so I guess it's just dirty machinery in the manufacturing process. The big problem with this Pre is a very loose slider. I personally prefer the slider a little loose but this one feels like it's going to fall apart it's moving around so much. This one also has a warranty date of June 20.

So I am going to exchange Pre #4 for Pre #5 this afternoon. I have no confidence at all at this point.

I'm on a mission now. I'm going to keep exchanging and returning Pres until I get a decent quality one. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent or how much gas I've burned trying to get a decent quality Pre. I've even lowered my standards. I'm willing to accept a few dead pixels if they are not noticeable. I'm willing to accept the usual light leakage at the bottom of the screen too. I'm willing to accept an uneven slider gap and a little wobble. I shouldn't have to accept these things but I will if I can just get one that semi-decent.

I understand that many of you have great Pres and I am happy for you and jealous.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Ouch, that's rough. Hope #5 works out for ya!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, since the defect rate of the Pre is supposedly only 1% then your experience is 1 in 100,000,000. You should go buy some lottery tickets!

Of course, the defect rate of the Pre isn't 1%. It's more like 75%. That's the only way to explain someone getting four bad units in a row.
    Someone is VERY bad at math.

The problem could be as low as 5-10% and you will still have people getting 3 or 4 bad units in a row. It's not only possible, but probable.

Also, some people are extremely picky so "twisting like an oreo" may actually only be a slight wobble which is to be expected in a slider phone and therefore should not count in the defect rate. Some people may even return a phone because it has dirt on the cover that should be thrown away right away anyway!
    I keep hearing these stories. Has anyone taken in their Pre and requested a 6-month free return extension?

I mean if the build issues aren't resolved, why keep going back to get another defective phone. It would seem 6 months would give them time to get their issues resolved and have a flawless phone. It would also prevent them from using yours as yet another refurb.

Just a thought. Wondering if anyone has tried it. Seems like win-win to me.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    That's the only way to explain someone getting four bad units in a row.
    Knew a girl in college like that - I attributed it to her drinking problem.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Like I said, if the defect rate is 1% as some people claim, then the chance of getting two bad units in a row is 0.01 X 0.01 = 0.001. The chance of getting three in a row is 0.01 X 0.01 X 0.01 = 0.000001. Four in a row is 0.00000001 or 1 in 100 million. What's wrong with my math?

If the defect rate is as high as 10% then the chance of getting four bad units in a row is 1 in 10,000. How many individuals do you see on this forum who claim to have had four bad units? They must all be here.
    No, I don't see any sane people thinking it's a 1% defect rate. I don't see any sane people thinking it's a 75% defect rate either (you). Your math is bad if you think it takes a 75% rate.

This guy is replacing a unit because he thinks the slider is too loose. Is that really a defective unit, should that count in the mathematical equation? You give that same unit to someone else and they think they have a perfect pre.
    hey I'm getting my 5th one today too, rock on dude, but I'm not giving up hope. I have to say I wish I never exchanged number 2 because it had 2 dead pixels and that's it but slider and everything else was perfect. I'm hoping my exchange is at least like that.
    Like I said, if the defect rate is 1% as some people claim, then the chance of getting two bad units in a row is 0.01 X 0.01 = 0.001. The chance of getting three in a row is 0.01 X 0.01 X 0.01 = 0.000001. Four in a row is 0.00000001 or 1 in 100 million. What's wrong with my math?

If the defect rate is as high as 10% then the chance of getting four bad units in a row is 1 in 10,000. How many individuals do you see on this forum who claim to have had four bad units? They must all be here.
    Find the poll thread.

There are a vast majority of people on their FIRST Pre.

The people with issues are the louder minority.

Now I don't think the defect rate is below 3% industry standard myself....i'd peg it closer to 10%.

But if the rumor of them ramping up production is true, I would think they got their training wheels off now.

LCD issues however like stuck/dead pixels...is inherent to the technology....just a lot easier to see on a cell phone unfortunately. I said in another thread, I saw 1 stuck pixel on my friends Pre when it was restarting and I kept my mouth shut. If he didn't see it, i'm not going to point it out for him. Its impossible to see on anything but a solid black/white background.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I really wish they'd charge a $10-15 restocking fee. I wonder how many defective units would be returned then. Much less the return of a return of a return of a return.

This free return (replace with new) policy is just a way for anal people to keep searching for some magical perfect phone at the expense of Sprint, Palm, and all their customers. People like this are abusing the system and are the reason why there is such a huge markup in the cost of the phone and why there are these insane insurance fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    I really wish they'd charge a $10-15 restocking fee. I wonder how many defective units would be returned then. Much less the return of a return of a return of a return.

This free return (replace with new) policy is just a way for anal people to keep searching for some magical perfect phone at the expense of Sprint, Palm, and all their customers. People like this are abusing the system and are the reason why there is such a huge markup in the cost of the phone and why there are these insane insurance fees.
    So I take it you're just living with the dead pixels?
    Sprint has made it hard on me. They've thrown in a free airave, pick 3, along with a 25% discount. Plus they sent me a 50 visa card referral deal. Can't say anything bad about Sprint here..
    im not picky at all. yet im on my 3rd pre. prob soon to be 4th! I keep taking my phone to sprint for shutdown and reboot issues and they keep giving me new ones. I have had stuck pixels and heat blotches on the bottem of the screen too. i dont care about that though. if those were the only problems i would just keep the phone. last time i went to sprint i asked them to please not replace my phone! I had just spent $40 on a clearskins installed at best buy. They replaced it of course and credited me $40 to my acct of the skinz. Ive been really happy with sprint and palms replacement policy. Its just gets old going back and forth to the store.
    Um, why aren't you checking every unit before you leave the store?

that being said, i have the grid pattern too and can see on or off when i'm looking for it.
    $10-15 restocking fee!? what, are they going to restock my phone that doesnt work? If they were worried about people returning thier junk phones, then they shouldnt have rushed this beta version out the door! I have had palm and sprint for the past 7 years. Ive never experienced phone problems like this. My treo 600 was close, but nothing like this!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    hey I'm getting my 5th one today too, rock on dude, but I'm not giving up hope. I have to say I wish I never exchanged number 2 because it had 2 dead pixels and that's it but slider and everything else was perfect. I'm hoping my exchange is at least like that.
    are you looking at every one before you leave the store as well? what happens, it's fine, you take it home then everything falls apart?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstven View Post
    So I take it you're just living with the dead pixels?
    To be honest, I haven't looked close enough to see if it even has dead/stuck pixels. I can see the grid on the screen in certain lighting positions, but no big deal and that's really only if the screen is off.

There is a little wobble to the phone, but i chalk that up to it being a slider and if it were tighter it probably be harder to slide. And there are instructions on this site on how to tighten the slider.

Considering the current return policy, I can understand anal people returning their phones with the slightest/tiniest of issues. And I would imagine Sprint will eventually change their policy because of certain people abusing it.