Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    The last straws for me, was the simple fact the EVDO was utterly TERRIBLE, it would switch back and forth and had numerous dropped calls in a single day. I can handle the dropped calls I use my phone for data, but after taking the Pre off its battery at 12 and it being dead by 6, my hectic life just wasnt going to cut it with the battery. I LOVEEE LOVE LOVE LOVE THE PRE and will recommend to anyone who wants to listen, but I'm going to give it some more time maybe wait for another version to come out before I buy another one. You can count on me buying the Pre 2 or if they fix these issues I just might be willing to go back, I really did love the phone I can't believe I took it back :\
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    I've been giving the Storm a chance for 8 months, should I stick with it or get a Pre? I'm a former Visor owner (the BEST non smart phone PDA ever!)
    I have the storm, I went to the Pre on the 6th and just took the Pre back due to battery not being able to keep up.

If you are say at work, or at home atleast once to twice and day and can charge it I would DEFF recommend the phone, being back on this storm makes me MISS the hell out of my Pre its not even a contest. If you go days(like I do) being at parties bars, other peoples houses without a charger youll be going a long time without your phone. I would deff try it out for 30 days see how you like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sevink View Post
    I have the storm, I went to the Pre on the 6th and just took the Pre back due to battery not being able to keep up.

If you are say at work, or at home atleast once to twice and day and can charge it I would DEFF recommend the phone, being back on this storm makes me MISS the hell out of my Pre its not even a contest. If you go days(like I do) being at parties bars, other peoples houses without a charger youll be going a long time without your phone. I would deff try it out for 30 days see how you like it.
    If the battery was a main deal breaker you gave up too soon. Their are many things you can do to improve battery life. Many of these things are found in the manual and on this great forum. I was experiencing the same issue the first and easiest thing I did was:

Turn OFF the USE GPS. I went from 6-8hrs of battery life to 16-24hrs. Yes you would have to turn the GPS back on to use google directions or navi.
    Other things you can (but I have not done) is:

turn down the brightness,
    decrease the frequency the PRE looks at your email, also
    There is a huge thread on Re-calibrating the battery. I have not done it but it seems to have increased batt life by double for most people. I know I cant help you but hopefully I can help someone else with this issue.

To summarize this thread it would seem the Centro is better suited for the extreme business man or woman who would get fired if data was lost because they did not back up their data to an sd card. For everyone else this a superb device that in my opinion is just as good and better in some instances than the isuck. By the way Adobe Flash coming to Palm in October here's the article. Flash for the Iphone not so much. Damn i need 7 more posts to post a link. sorry.
    Last edited by alasvegas; 06/27/2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: change the toggle name from locator to use gps
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaine View Post
    Apple didn't even have an app store as early as Palm with their first generation device. The Pre's SDK has just now been given to a select number of developers for beta testing and it will be a couple months before you begin to see an explosion of 3rd party apps. From a couple well informed forum members and talking to a couple who have been granted early access, it seems like the Pre SDK makes it much easier to create apps so the rate of development might be faster than Apple had early on. Although that also means you might see more junk apps too.
    Apple I believe had 2000 applications available within 2 months... interesting level to compare i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by alasvegas View Post
    If the battery was a main deal breaker you gave up too soon. Their are many things you can do to improve battery life. Many of these things are found in the manual and on this great forum. I was experiencing the same issue the first and easiest thing I did was:

Turn OFF the GPS LOCATOR. I went from 6-8hrs of battery life to 16-24hrs. Yes you would have to turn the locator back on to use google directions or navi.

There is a huge thread on Re-calibrating the battery. I have not done it but it seems to have increased batt life by double for most people. I know I cant help you but hopefully I can help someone else with this issue.

To summarize this thread it would seem the Centro is better suited for the extreme business man or woman who would get fired if data was lost because they did not back up their data to an sd card. For everyone else this a superb device that in my opinion is just as good and better in some instances than the isuck. By the way Adobe Flash coming to Palm in October here's the article. Flash for the Iphone not so much. Damn i need 7 more posts to post a link. sorry.
    Hmm, so turn off things that makes it a useful device? Seems like a big compromise?
    [QUOTE=Hmm, so turn off things that makes it a useful device? Seems like a big compromise?[/QUOTE]

Im just sharing what worked for me. With USE GPS OFF, this device is still incredibly useful. For those that dont have the battery life problem there is no need to do this. Im glad Palm has this as an option to boost life and use is it as you see fit. I just turned the Use GPS toggle back on to see it still drains the battery like it did when i first got it.
    I used to be a big Palm fan, and consider still am... but will probably return Pre tomorrow after about 1 week of use.

The hardware is damn too fragile, and the WebOS needs so much refinement. I will come back when Palm settles dust and have a "reliable" phone/OS that I can use carefree for 2 years. I've used several Treos until now, Pre is the weakest of them all.

I really didn't care much of lack of APPs as they will come in time, but the basic capabilities like phone/contact/calendar/email didn't work as reliable as they should have been. Also, I couldn't be sure if this phone would not break itself within 6 months or so. Only if the hardware was strong, I would have been willing to stay on and wait for updates...

This is really sad...
    Last edited by BlueSkyBlueWind; 06/27/2009 at 02:37 PM.
    Turning off GPS saves battery life as mentioned, and you don't have to turn it back on when using an app that needs it....it will prompt you to use it....and will leave it off when you exit the app.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alasvegas View Post

Turn OFF the USE GPS. I went from 6-8hrs of battery life to 16-24hrs. Yes you would have to turn the GPS back on to use google directions or navi.

Trust me I ain't no slouch or newb turning down the brightness/gps was the first two things I did. I will admit the battery life got better but it just couldn't keep up with my crazy life style. I would say it was 70 battery 30 dropped calls why I returned it. Both can be fixed with a firmware update so the jury is still out which phone I want to commit to.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Apple I believe had 2000 applications available within 2 months... interesting level to compare i guess...
    ?
    Actually apple had a whole year with zero apps and no apps store.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Actually apple had a whole year with zero apps and no apps store.
    He's talking about when the App Store first opened and not when the iPhone first came out. And actually it had 3000 apps in 2 months. App Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Its really not something you can compare until the SDK is available anyway. And I'm not talking about the leak.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    He's talking about when the App Store first opened and not when the iPhone first came out. And actually it had 3000 apps in 2 months. App Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Its really not something you can compare until the SDK is available anyway. And I'm not talking about the leak.
    Thank you, that's exactly what i meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Hmm, so turn off things that makes it a useful device? Seems like a big compromise?
    Currently posted on APPLE'S website. Any of it look familiar to you, Fanboy troll???

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Optimize Your Settings
    Depending on how they are configured, a few features may decrease your iPhone battery life. For example, the frequency with which you retrieve email and the number of email accounts you auto-check can both affect battery life. The tips below apply to an iPhone running iPhone 3.0 or later software and may help extend your battery life.

Minimize use of location services: Applications that actively use location services such as Maps may reduce battery life. To disable location services, go to Settings > General > Location Services or use location services only when needed.
    Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification Service to alert you of new data. Those applications that extensively rely on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may impact battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and set Notifications to Off. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.
    Fetch new data less frequently: Applications such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.
    Turn off push mail: If you have a push mail account such as Yahoo!, MobileMe or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push when you donít need it. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive. If the global Fetch setting is set to Manually, you will not be able to locate your iPhone using the MobileMe Find My iPhone feature.
    Auto-check fewer email accounts: You can save power by checking fewer email accounts. This can be accomplished by turning off an email account or by deleting it. To turn off an account, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, choose an email account, and set Account to Off. To remove an account, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, choose an email account, and tap Delete Account.
    Minimize use of third-party applications: Excessive use of applications such as games that prevent the screen from dimming or shutting off or applications that use location services can reduce battery life.
    Turn off Wi-Fi: If you rarely use Wi-Fi, you can turn it off to save power. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and set Wi-Fi to Off. Note that if you frequently use your iPhone to browse the web, battery life may be improved by using Wi-Fi instead of cellular data networks.
    ■Turn off Bluetooth: If you rarely use a Bluetooth headset or car kit, you can turn off Bluetooth to save power. Go to Settings > General > Bluetooth and set Bluetooth to Off.
    Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas: Because your iPhone always tries to maintain a connection with the cellular network, it may use more power in low- or no-coverage areas. Turning on Airplane Mode can increase battery life in these situations; however, you will be unable to make or receive calls. To turn on Airplane Mode, go to Settings and set Airplane Mode to On.
    Adjust brightness: Dimming the screen is another way to extend battery life. Go to Settings > Brightness and drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness. In addition, turning on Auto-Brightness allows the screen to adjust its brightness based on current lighting conditions. Go to Settings > Brightness and set Auto-Brightness to On.
    Turn off EQ: Applying an equalizer setting to song playback on your iPhone can decrease battery life. To turn EQ off, go to Settings > iPod > EQ and tap Off. Note that if youíve added EQ to songs directly in iTunes, youíll need to set EQ on iPhone to Flat in order to have the same effect as Off because iPhone keeps your iTunes settings intact. Go to Settings > iPod > EQ and tap Flat.
    Turn off 3G: Using 3G cellular networks loads data faster, but may also decrease battery life, especially in areas with limited 3G coverage. To disable 3G, from the Home screen choose Settings > General > Network and set Enable 3G to Off. You will still be able to make and receive calls and access cellular data networks via EDGE or GPRS where available.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Sure, the Pre didn't work out for some folks. That's to be expected. However, I think the Pre not only lived up to the hype, at least the hype that Palm and Sprint created, but it exceed it in my opinion. No device, though, can ever live up to the pre-launch speculation.
    Methinks you contradicted yourself. First, you say the Pre lived up to the hype (I disagree), and then you claim no device can ever live up... So which is it? Reality beats hype, or hype wins again??
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Methinks you contradicted yourself. First, you say the Pre lived up to the hype (I disagree), and then you claim no device can ever live up... So which is it? Reality beats hype, or hype wins again??
    What you quote wasn't contradictory. He said it lived up to and, in his opinion, exceeded the hype Sprint and Palm gave it and that it could never live up to the speculation by presumably outside sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    What you quote wasn't contradictory. He said it lived up to and, in his opinion, exceeded the hype Sprint and Palm gave it and that it could never live up to the speculation by presumably outside sources.
    Yes, thanks, that's exactly what I meant.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    For all those with connectivity/reception issues. Someone on the Palm Support Forum website, claims it is due to Google Calendar.

Says he systematically removed and added all apps until he isolated the culprit (google calendar). Says with Calendar removed his signal issue is non-existant.

Haven't tried this myself, but am gonna do so today. I do use Google Calendar, so we'll see. Be interested to see if anyone else can verify this claim. I'll let you know what my findings are.
    it's funny. I got 14 hours of batter my first day using it. And that's with HEAVY use. I was constantly on the internet. I bought fandango tickets. I was texting and aim messaging. I was downloading apps. I woke up at 10am with a full, 100% charge. It died a bit after midnight...

I'm quite happy with the battery. I may get a backup just to toss in my bag for a just in case. But, hot dang... this phone is exec!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I didn't read all the way through this thread, but I had the same issues as the original post. Randomly switching between the EV and 1x networks, etc.

I went into the Sprint store to see if they had any touchstones in yet and the manager asked me how everything was going. I told him of the issues I was having and that I was thrilled with the phone and disappointed enough with the service to consider switching back to Verizon.

They took my phone to the back and locked it in to the Sprint network or something. He said that it was switching to whatever was the best signal even if it overrode EV.

Now there are a few week spots I travel through where Sprint doesn't have the best coverage, but it completely took care of the 1x switching. It will hang on to the EV whenever possible. MUCH IMPROVED!

Also, I complained to the manager that I wasn't in Ev at my house where its listed that I'm in coverage. He got on the computer and check the coverage map and verified that I should be in EV at home, then put in a service ticket to a tech to go check the signal at my house, then check the tower if needed. One week later and I now have EV in my living room. Now that's customer service!

So far I have to say that AT&T and Verizon both have better coverage in my area, but the service I've gotten with Sprint both in store and on the phone has been excellent. This pleases me, especially after I was told before switching that Sprint has lousy customer service.
    Thanks to all those who share their brain goo for us to play in.

PalmIII > Treo600 > Treo650(2) > Treo755p > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Baloney! Re-read his last sentence from the post I quoted earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Baloney! Re-read his last sentence from the post I quoted earlier.
    What in the name of all that is holy are you talking about?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic