Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Adios Pre, tomorrow is the day I make it to the Sprint store and exchange for a Blackberry Curve.

It would have been a match made in heaven if your radio and battery weren't so horrible, and there weren't so many reports of people burning through exchanges in search of a not-screwed-up device.

I'm not taking any chances since I can't get to the Sprint store very often, and a Curve it will be.
    I know I said I wouldn't take the Pre back, but I just noticed my first dead pixel. And judging from other post I've read, this is a harbinger of things to come. And I'm being redundant, but the battery! WTF?!?!?!?! Checking the App Catalog, something I do everymorning now, has been a daily source of dissappointment. Still 30 apps, and not counting.

So I guess I will go back to the Sprint store, and replace the Pre, with a new Pre. I guess I will let the next 11 days go by, and be locked into my contract with Sprint. And here's the insult to injury, will Palm remember us? "Us" being the first group of people that bought the Pre on June 6th, the "test subjects" if you will. When the new versions of the Pre come out, will they remember us? I think not.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have a question for you guys.. My palm pre is fried and I'm on the waiting list for a 2nd one. However, if this 2nd one goes badly I don't think I want to stick with the Pre. When I purchased my original Pre I signed a 2-year contract. If I return the Pre and get my full refund am I still eligible for the 2 year contract price on another phone? This would be ridiculous if I wasn't...
    Quote Originally Posted by LEED3D View Post
    I have a question for you guys.. My palm pre is fried and I'm on the waiting list for a 2nd one. However, if this 2nd one goes badly I don't think I want to stick with the Pre. When I purchased my original Pre I signed a 2-year contract. If I return the Pre and get my full refund am I still eligible for the 2 year contract price on another phone? This would be ridiculous if I wasn't...

yes, if u return a phone within the 30 day period, your 2 year contract is nullified. if sprint is like verizon, there are gotchas. The first gotcha is if you get another new phone, there is a restocking fee. If you simply put your old phone back in service, there's NO fee. Also, if you wait at least 3 days, you can try out any phone, including a Pre, with no penalty and you get another 30 days to evaluate it. Might sound weird, but that is exactly how it works at Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    yes, if u return a phone within the 30 day period, your 2 year contract is nullified. if sprint is like verizon, there are gotchas. The first gotcha is if you get another new phone, there is a restocking fee. If you simply put your old phone back in service, there's NO fee. Also, if you wait at least 3 days, you can try out any phone, including a Pre, with no penalty and you get another 30 days to evaluate it. Might sound weird, but that is exactly how it works at Verizon.
    WOW, I didn't know about those gotchas!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    Sprint is famous for doing this kind of crap to me.
    Si I just got my first monthly bill and was charged for the free airave sprint sent to me...classic sprint stuff!!!

I am using an airave to get better reception with my NEW SPRINT PHONE (never needed before with other palm phones and sprint in the same home) thanks to my VERIZON DSL!!! EXCELLENT IRONY!!!
    Sprint is famous for doing this kind of crap to me.
    So I just got my first monthly bill and was charged for the free airave sprint sent to me...classic sprint stuff!!!

I am using an airave to get better reception with my NEW SPRINT PHONE (never needed before with other palm phones and sprint in the same home) thanks to my VERIZON DSL!!! EXCELLENT IRONY!!!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'm trying to hunt for a new apartment, a task the Pre should excel at - with imap gmail, gps googlecraps, great web browsing ability, calendar etc. The problem is that with almost no use during the day the phone is dead when I leave work at 4 and I have to make a stop at home to charge before starting my apt search. Nevermind the fact that I am missing calls constantly and sms’ are delayed sending and receiving. The phone is pretty much worthless indoors unless I am near a window on the 1st or 2nd floor of a building in a very strong service area. If the outside service is anything but perfect, it’s worthless inside.

There is something fishy about this reception problem. In downtown Chicago where I work I get a huge RSSI variation. The north end of the Loop has an RSSI no worse than -70. The southern end is no better than -80, and often -90, and that is outdoors, good weather, away from tall buildings. I went into the 200 N LaSalle Sprint store and put my Pre next to a 755p and watched their ##debug# screens. RSSI on 755p was -55, -70 on the Pre. I’m guessing Sprint sold off too much network capacity over the years to raise cash and avoid Ch 11/13.
    Would you still love me if I didn't have a Pre?
    LOL Big time
    Si I just got my first monthly bill and was charged for the free airave sprint sent to me...classic sprint stuff!!!

Can you limit or control what cell phones are allowed to connect to your airave?
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Can you limit or control what cell phones are allowed to connect to your airave?
    You can open it up or lock it down and allow access for up 50 devices. Only 3 can be active at once however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    You can open it up or lock it down and allow access for up 50 devices. Only 3 can be active at once however.
    That's nice. I feel that while free, it's strange to fix problems with their coverage area at what is essentially your expense -- ie. you pay for your internet but give them the bandwidth for free (and later they might even try to charge you for Airave). It's nice to have better service in your house, but I think users should be compensated since you are effectively providing THEM bandwidth.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Can you explain how to limit the airwave to a few users?
    Well, I sadly have returned mine, and went back to my iPhone. I think the Pre (and WebOS) just gets much of the minor annoyances on the iPhone "right."

But the build quality is a concern, and I'm just not confident that the hardware is quite robust enough for me. Small micro-scratches are already on the screen, and a bubble or separation appears to have formed between two of the layers between the exterior screen and the actual display.

I know, return it and replace it, and I would have a nice new Pre. But that doesn't allay my concerns. The reports of Pre's spontaneously cracking from pocket storage worries me. It may be exceptions, or it could be indicative of a design flaw - and my cell phone is a critical business tool for me.

So at the end of the day, I bit the bullet and dropped it off at the Sprint store today. I'm confident that Palm will work out the glitches, and I'll probably take a good hard look at going with the Pre2 (or whatever they call it) - 'cause there are things I truly love about the device, and the OS. But in the grand scheme of things, I felt the right decision for me was to return it.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I've returned two: One for shutting down upon closing the slider, the other for dead pixels. I'm on my third and so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe4food View Post
    I know I said I wouldn't take the Pre back, but I just noticed my first dead pixel. And judging from other post I've read, this is a harbinger of things to come. And I'm being redundant, but the battery! WTF?!?!?!?! Checking the App Catalog, something I do everymorning now, has been a daily source of dissappointment. Still 30 apps, and not counting.
    Apple didn't even have an app store as early as Palm with their first generation device. The Pre's SDK has just now been given to a select number of developers for beta testing and it will be a couple months before you begin to see an explosion of 3rd party apps. From a couple well informed forum members and talking to a couple who have been granted early access, it seems like the Pre SDK makes it much easier to create apps so the rate of development might be faster than Apple had early on. Although that also means you might see more junk apps too.
    Sigh, had to take mine back last weekend as well. The phone was the opposite of what I needed. I'm still a big Web OS fan, and will definitely return when it is fixed/improved/whatever. I didn't realize how much I depended on my BB to just work all the time. Don't get me started... And I suppose I have a short fuse, so that's my own fault. But whatever, I hope they fix it up very soon for the sake of all of us who returned it and for the people who are being loyal and sticking it out with the 1st Gen!

Good forum and thanks for all the info from everyone. Adieu.
    I didn't read through all the post, but I seem to have glitchy connections as well. However I attributed this to the Radio used. I'm assuming they will update the radio and that will make a BIG difference. Even so at 2-3 bars it isn't that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugewhyte View Post
    You have 28 days to give it an update/chance...
    I've been giving the Storm a chance for 8 months, should I stick with it or get a Pre? I'm a former Visor owner (the BEST non smart phone PDA ever!)
    Visiting Moderator from CrackBerry.com!