Page 32 of 59 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    You are up for a rude awakening with the iphone 3gs if you think the battery is going to be better at all. The only thing that will save you with the 3gs is if you are using wifi for your e-mail and internet browsing, otherwise, expect 5 hrs or less of usage, period.
    IMO, it's nutty that Apple makes so many products with non-removable batteries. Agreed?
    for those of you leaving the pre/sprint for the new iphone... have fun paying $1,200 more over two years

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    IMO, it's nutty that Apple makes so many products with non-removable batteries. Agreed?
    It's not nutty, per se. It's the only thing that allows them to make such sleek devices. If they had to engineer in removable batteries, then their devices would be much less "solid" than they seem.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's not nutty, per se. It's the only thing that allows them to make such sleek devices. If they had to engineer in removable batteries, then their devices would be much less "solid" than they seem.
    And it keeps folks like Mophie in business. If I have a iPhone, I would get that Juice Pack Air before I bought anything else!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    i have changed my mind, after further research of the TP2...less ram and a step down on the cpu from the orig TP!!??? no way....i reviewed other phones but right now and probably the rest of this year, other than the iphone there is nothing that compares to the pre

im here for the ride! come on SDK!!!
    I am with you - I was buying the Pre to play with for a while until the TP2 came out. Was digging that 3.6" screen. Now, I just can't really imagine going back to WM. And really, if people here think the Pre is a crappy piece of plastic, just pick up any HTC device.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Something I noticed, Blackberry users can't adjust to new cell phones. I think its because Blackberries are great DEVICES, but not good smart phones. So they are very very utilitarian, and between getting used to that and the physical keyboard, blackberry folks seem to have the lowest switch rate. Just my $0.02
    I think I read something back in Jan/Feb that said 75% of Storm users were new to BB. There was a HUGE uproar among the mainline BB users over the touchscreen and lack of kb. Most long time BB users hated it. I feel it is somewhat the same with the Pre - many of the most vocal complaints have come from long time Palm Treo users. Or it seems that way to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocotazo245 View Post

At least RIM, when they deliver a phone, it's ready to be delivered, not all buggy and falling apart from day 1.
    You, my friend, apparently have never heard of the Blackberry Storm.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I hope Palm does well with WebOS. From the hardware side of things, I think the Pre has a good design, but it seems that the manufacturing of the Pre stil has some bugs to work out.

Loose slider is my biggest gripe. They should have sourced HTC to build it, since they have a great deal of experience in building slider phones. I did not think my Pre would make 3 months, let alone a year of use with out the play in the slider getting a lot looser.

I wish them luck, and maybe the 2nd revision of the Pre will work out the kinks.

I will be keeping on eye on WebOS. I believe this os will beat Windows Mobile, Symbian, and maybe Android, if Palm can get more devices out there in the next year or two.
    Sorry to hear that.
    The One and Only
    Not taking my Pre back, but damn it if I don't have hair pulling moments. I'm coming from the I-phone 3G, but prior to that I was a Treo man. Regardless of the multi-task function (which is nice), its the lagging that's pissing me off. Never had I had to reset my phone so many times, as I have the Pre. Its slow, it lags, it freezes up on whim, and unreliable in certain regards... namely the phone function. There has been times when I needed to pull up the dial screen to call someone ASAP, only to stand planted to the cement waiting 2 seconds for the phone app. to pull up. That is frustating. And the battery? WTF?!?!?!?

But I'm going to stick it out, sticking it out strictly off the potential than the actual fucntionality of the phone. I do find myself at times wondering, what were these guys thinking when deciding to release this BETA phone....
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    You are up for a rude awakening with the iphone 3gs if you think the battery is going to be better at all. The only thing that will save you with the 3gs is if you are using wifi for your e-mail and internet browsing, otherwise, expect 5 hrs or less of usage, period.

Huh? I got 26 hrs on my last 3GS charge. This is with Exchange email push, listened to some music, IM chatting, and some web browsing.
    With either phone, i wouldn't last a day. But i charge often so i really don't care. As to the removable battery for the Pre, i wonder how many carry a spare?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    With either phone, i wouldn't last a day. But i charge often so i really don't care. As to the removable battery for the Pre, i wonder how many carry a spare?
    very few. Thats why I never thought it was such a great feature. I would rather carry around one of those external battery packs that can rapidly charge your device.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattalter View Post
    I hope Palm does well with WebOS. From the hardware side of things, I think the Pre has a good design, but it seems that the manufacturing of the Pre stil has some bugs to work out.

Loose slider is my biggest gripe. They should have sourced HTC to build it, since they have a great deal of experience in building slider phones. I did not think my Pre would make 3 months, let alone a year of use with out the play in the slider getting a lot looser.
    Have you ever owned an HTC built slider? Ever gone on PPCGeeks or similar board discussing the HTC Touch Pro or similar phone? They have the same complaints that many on this board do. There is quite a bit of wiggle in the HTC TP. I have one. It's my second, actually (first one had a cracked screen and was insurance replaced), and the first one was the same. I love the phone, but there's wiggle.

It seems like a lot of the people complaining about the wiggle simply haven't owned a phone with a sliding mechanism. I'm sure some, if not many, of the complaints are valid. But I'm also fairly certain that a lot of it is coming from pre owners that are coming from a one-piece phone like the Iphone, a Treo, or a blackberry that aren't used to the inherent wiggle in a two-piece phone.
    BTW..its official. Pre went back today in favor of 32gb iphone 3g s...kind of a nobrainer in my case. I'll stick around some as my wife will keep hers. Might revisit palm later once webOS matures and they decide to up the hardware quality.

Major factors: Poor reception due to Pre, not sprint. Screen issues (I had 4 Pre's). Poor phone app.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    BTW..its official. Pre went back today in favor of 32gb iphone 3g s...kind of a nobrainer in my case. I'll stick around some as my wife will keep hers. Might revisit palm later once webOS matures and they decide to up the hardware quality.

Major factors: Poor reception due to Pre, not sprint. Screen issues (I had 4 Pre's). Poor phone app.
    Here's to your new Iphone exploding in your pocket!

Just kidding. Have fun with your Iphone.
    I really, really loved this phone. But I am 99% sure I am going to return it for the following reason:

- Call reception is POOR on this phone (just fine on my BlackBerry Curve). Half the time people can't understand me, and there is this weird static noise in the background half the time that I've never heard on other phones I've owned before. This static noise could also be heard on by Plantronics Voyager Pro.

So, I'm going to have to do something. I have a few days left to return it, and return to my BlackBerry and either wait for the new BlackBerry coming out, or contemplate switching providers when my contract ends. But to whom and on what phone, I have no idea. Disappointed after giving it several weeks, I just can't justify using this if the PHONE functions are so poor.

Anyone else experience this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by waylonrobert View Post
    I really, really loved this phone. But I am 99% sure I am going to return it for the following reason:

- Call reception is POOR on this phone (just fine on my BlackBerry Curve). Half the time people can't understand me, and there is this weird static noise in the background half the time that I've never heard on other phones I've owned before. This static noise could also be heard on by Plantronics Voyager Pro.

So, I'm going to have to do something. I have a few days left to return it, and return to my BlackBerry and either wait for the new BlackBerry coming out, or contemplate switching providers when my contract ends. But to whom and on what phone, I have no idea. Disappointed after giving it several weeks, I just can't justify using this if the PHONE functions are so poor.

I wouldn't keep a phone with poor call quality either. As far as the BB, I had a Storm, and it was hands down, the best phone I've owned for call quality. It was in a league of it's own, compared to my other phones like LG8300, Star Tac, Kyocera, 3 crap-Nokias. I'm just biding my time til the S2 hits, hanging out here and there, irritating the fanbois.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I wouldn't keep a phone with poor call quality either. As far as the BB, I had a Storm, and it was hands down, the best phone I've owned for call quality. It was in a league of it's own, compared to my other phones like LG8300, Star Tac, Kyocera, 3 crap-Nokias. I'm just biding my time til the S2 hits, hanging out here and there, irritating the fanbois.
    Well, just to show you how things go - the Storm was the worse phone for call quality have have tried. I had one for 2 weeks and it went back only because of call quality - the earpiece was fuzzy at best and everyone I talked to said I sounded like I have a sock over the end of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by waylonrobert View Post

The Curve is a good phone and I bet the Tour will be too. I have not had the problems you (or anyone else here) have had with call quality. Very clear outgoing (and I ask people I talk to often) and no problems with reception. I will say that I occasionally have the static/fuzzy earpiece sound - usually when I am on the phone with someone who is also on a mobile with more tenor than base in the call quality. I knock the volume down a notch and it goes away. But I would not keep a phone if it did not make quality calls. I took the Storm and 2 iPhone's back for that reason.