Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thepalmuser View Post
    Pre-cisely. I will miss my Pre
    There are actually several options. There is a touchstone kit that includes the additional cord and wall plug - see Touchstone : Palm USA

Having said that, I think Palm should have included one touchstone in the box - for a premium product (the Pre) they should include the premium features.

At the end of the day, it's a choice you have to make, but I spend a couple hours a day on my Pre some days, get a regular stream of email, and am not dying at the end of the day. I don't think I did anything special, but I suppose it's possible I just hit it lucky.

In any case, enjoy your Bold, I guess!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I returned my pre today. I went into the Sprint corporate store looking for an exchange because of a really loose slider, bad signal (which advanced tech support said was the unit), terrible battery life, dead pixels, and screen discoloration.

I was told that I had to drive an additional 20 miles to the corporate store and repair center if I wanted an exchange after already driving 40 miles to the closest corporate store. I don't understand that because they're not repairing Pres just replacing them so why should I have to drive a repair center to have them switch my phone with a non defective unit, so i decided at that moment that this giant hassle and defects are not worth $300 down and I decided to return it right then and there. At first, the sprint rep tried to tell me that I had to return the Pre to the original corporate store I purchased it from which I quickly informed him that was erroneous and not sprint's policy and got my $300 back.

By no means am I an apple fanboy, palm fanboy, Ive had multiple lines with sprint for 8 years and I am truly beginning to question why.

There's a very good chance Ill get a pre again (at best buy for 200) if they can improve the reliability of their hardware. WebOS is perfect and will grow to become an unstoppable force in the world of smart phones. I had an iTouch for a year and WebOS is in a whole different category with their multitasking.

Ill miss you palm pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Exactly. I'll tolerate spending $70 on the Touchstone, but it's insane that it doesn't include a cord and wall charger. So in other words, instead of having 2 chargers after buying the Touchstone, you still really only have 1.
    Not only that, the TS charges the Pre far more slowly.
    That's because the touchstone is a gimmick that has limited use and questionable value at a high expense. Might be worth it if it were about $20. My guess, it will be thing people talk about in years to come as a cute silly idea that just didn't work, like the nintendo power glove etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    That's because the touchstone is a gimmick that has limited use and questionable value at a high expense. Might be worth it if it were about $20. My guess, it will be thing people talk about in years to come as a cute silly idea that just didn't work, like the nintendo power glove etc.
    My guess is that after they're done gouging the richest of Palm customers, they'll cut the price in half and still make a killing on profit, then cut it in half again and still make a profit.

The Nintendo Power Glove probly did have something to do with Nintendo getting back in the game with the Wii; the idea behind the Power Glove probly haunted Nintendo until they finalized the very successful Wii-mote. The Touchstone is... just a stepping stone. You don't like it? You *do* have an option to skip it. Palm is going after people with plenty of $$ to spare so that they can sink that money into R&D, programming, pumping out more Pres, Eoses (that's a tricky one, ain't it?), etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Not only that, the TS charges the Pre far more slowly.
    Slower - but not "far more slower". Guess I was expecting it to be slow from reading all the crap on the web about it but after I actually bought one and used it, I found out differently.

Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    If it is a "gimmick", it is a brilliant one. Limited use? Subjective statement. Silly? It is obvious you do not own one nor have used one.

You guys are just having a big time around here, aren't you?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Slower - but not "far more slower". Guess I was expecting it to be slow from reading all the crap on the web about it but after I actually bought one and used it, I found out differently.

If it is a "gimmick", it is a brilliant one. Limited use? Subjective statement. Silly? It is obvious you do not own one nor have used one.

You guys are just having a big time around here, aren't you?
    It has no practical value as it is slower than a plug-in charger. You got it to massage your ego, no doubt. It also causes issues with blotches on the screen, as well as a snail's pace charging time.
    It has no practical value as it is slower than a plug-in charger. You got it to massage your ego, no doubt. It also causes issues with blotches on the screen, as well as a snail's pace charging time.
    Oh, Dave, Dave - practical? Again subjective - what I find practical you obviously don't, so we'll strike that comment as irrelevant to this thread. Ego?? Come on - it sits on my desk in my home office - nobody but me sees it - but I do wish it gave massages. Blotches on the screen?? Show me that. Please take a picture of yours...oh, wait....can't do that, can you! And finally, snails pace?? Have you timed the difference - or since you don't even own either the Pre or the TS - can you please link the test results you are getting your information from?

Or really, if someone wants to come to your defense and show me some numbers, I would love to see them. Yes, I admit that the TS is slower, but again it is nothing I have noticed/or slowed down my day and it beats plugging in the USB.

My ego will now await your intelligent reply.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Oh, Dave, Dave - practical? Again subjective - what I find practical you obviously don't, so we'll strike that comment as irrelevant to this thread. Ego?? Come on - it sits on my desk in my home office - nobody but me sees it - but I do wish it gave massages. Blotches on the screen?? Show me that. Please take a picture of yours...oh, wait....can't do that, can you! And finally, snails pace?? Have you timed the difference - or since you don't even own either the Pre or the TS - can you please link the test results you are getting your information from?

Or really, if someone wants to come to your defense and show me some numbers, I would love to see them. Yes, I admit that the TS is slower, but again it is nothing I have noticed/or slowed down my day and it beats plugging in the USB.

My ego will now await your intelligent reply.
    I think we can all say it's not "practical" in the strict sense of the word.

"Gimmick" is more apt a description, IMO. I still think it's a "bragging rights" kinda device. But that's ok.
    I think we can all say it's not "practical" in the strict sense of the word.

"Gimmick" is more apt a description, IMO. I still think it's a "bragging rights" kinda device. But that's ok.
    OK, as long as you use "IMO" I am cool. But "we can all say" is not cool.

Practical: appropriate, sensible, and likely to be effective

It is all 3 of those for ME, but maybe not ALL. Fair enough?

See where I am going here dave? As long as you give your opinions and not try to represent everyone or a non-experienced point of view as a fact, I am prefectly cool - not that it really matters what a Bubba thinks as this is not my personal forum! Have a good weekend.....
    I got the Pre the day it came out and was very excited. But just a few short weeks later I realized that the phone wasn't all its touted to be.

My main issues with the phone:

Size- it was too small. Caused my hands to cramp.

Hardware- I felt like I was on the verge of breaking the sliding mechanism (the keyboard was also atrocious)

Software- The software was actually not that bad, just more sluggish than I had patience for.

From here on out I think I will be sticking with blackberries. After 6 months of waiting for the Pre I guess I'll just be waiting another couple months for the Blackberry Tour to come out on Sprint.

Anyone else's Pre experience over?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    No, im giving it more time. im just worried that may screen will crack. Ive read the horror stories..
    After using the WebOS I don't think I could enjoy any other device. I have to suffer with the issues that bother me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
    No, im giving it more time. im just worried that may screen will crack. Ive read the horror stories..
    I'm worried that a planet-busting meteor will hit the Earth and render my Pre useless. I've read those horror stories as well.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I just saw a page showing the BB Tour and that thing looks nice and just googled it after your post and am I reading the specs correctly? NO WIFI ?!!

If so why do BB do that? Pisses me off because I like the Bold too and you'd think those are pretty close to their flagship phones and no WIFI. That is such a deal breaker.

Guess there is no absolute perfect phone out there.

Good luck
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm ready for my experience to start again, as soon as I get my replacement...
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

Guess there is no absolute perfect phone out there.
    You are absolutely correct, and no one phone will work for every person. I came from a blackberry which I absolutely loved but for now I'm loving the pre even more and wont be going back anytime soon.
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoeChop View Post
    I got the Pre the day it came out and was very excited. But just a few short weeks later I realized that the phone wasn't all its touted to be.

My main issues with the phone:

Size- it was too small. Caused my hands to cramp.

Hardware- I felt like I was on the verge of breaking the sliding mechanism (the keyboard was also atrocious)

Software- The software was actually not that bad, just more sluggish than I had patience for.

From here on out I think I will be sticking with blackberries. After 6 months of waiting for the Pre I guess I'll just be waiting another couple months for the Blackberry Tour to come out on Sprint.

Anyone else's Pre experience over?
    I went around the other day to the different carrier stores, comparing the feel of my Pre to the multitude of different devices.

Almost universally, Blackberries felt more "plastic" and cheap than the Pre (The most notable device was the Blackberry Storm. What an atrocious device in both terms of build quality and interface design when compared to the Pre). This was also the case with most of the WinMo phones. I also found the keyboard to be similar in terms of usage.

I have also found the slider mechanism to be extremely durable... I always feel more confident when I hear that solid *clunk* when I close or open it.

And while webOS can sometimes bog down, I've found it to be universally faster than WinMo, and at least as fast task per task as Blackberry.

When folks report this kinda thing, I wonder if we're using completely different phones.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
    Did you get insurance? I don't worry about the screen cracking any more than any other device. If it cracks, I get a new one.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I'm loving my Pre and am thrilled to have moved on from my Pearl. Good luck to you.