Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    im having issues with the screen its yellow at the bottom...
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    these are supposedly 3rd quarter. When it comes to smartphones, I don't really think Sprint was that behind the times. It's not fair to compare buying unlocked gsm phones either as they are not "offered" by AT&T.

Think it'll be a few months less than six before Android hits Sprint. But if you want to settle for the less than optimal Pre, be my guest. I'd like to think that round 2 will be a better designed, less over-engineered improved quality product. Maybe we'll even see a d-pad or trackball. I'd give them all the credit in the world if they were the first mfg to put a d-pad on a full touchscreen device.
    I just want a smart phone NOW. I already waited 6 months for the Pre vs new iPhone.
    Well if you're not a strong PIM user, I'd say pick up a Centro, 755p or Treo Pro and tough it out for awhile. Having used PalmOS for 13yrs and playing with a Pre for a few days, you won't be happy with it if you want strong functionality from the PIM. At the moment it's not even something a 3rd party could solve because the fields and categories simply don't exist. If you only need the basics from the PIM then you can have some fun with the Pre. I won't kill the thing like Gekko does, but I've owned 5 PalmOS smartphones and 5 Palm PDA's. I think the Pre has the worst build quality of all of them going back to my Palm Pilot. I have greater expectations of a company trying to create a make or break device though.

I've had my Treo Pro for three days now and am enjoying customizing the heck out of it. Beyond what I could do with my Centro. The screen is nice, the phone is thin and the build quality is closer to what I expect from Palm. Has some of the same plastic as the Pre, but it feels more solid. Have wifi and gps so I can better benefit from the Everything Plan. I lose some OS slickness and better web browsing, but as I've mentioned before, I care more about my business and daily use needs as opposed to my web browsing, media and personal needs. I see the web, media and personal need side getting improvements much quicker than the business side with the Pre as the things I need are things that are just simply absent from the OS, not bugs, quirks or glitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    I just want a smart phone NOW. I already waited 6 months for the Pre vs new iPhone.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I was planning to wait until my October full upgrade date but I dropped my Centro 4 days before the PRE came out. The screen cracked; still works for now but without any touchscreen ability. So it seemed to make sense to avoid the $100 deductible from insurance to get a new PRE. I signed the waiting list and have one waiting for me at a Sprint store.

However, I have been a Palm user for over 10 years and there were some programs I use (Bonsai and DTG) that are crucial to help me stay organized. These can run in Classic but won't work well without a Hotsynch. (While editing text seemed complicated compared to PalmOS, I'm sure that I would get used to it.) As nice as the form factor and WebOS seem, having played with it for about 30 minutes, I think that I am stuck with paying the $100 to Assurion to get another Centro then revisiting the question in October. I wouldn't mind trying it out but it just seems like too much of a hassle to go through a highly probable return process.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    I reluctantly returned my Pre today. I wanted to love it but the battery life just wasn't going to cut it. I also strangely started having fluctuating signal at home after I did network setting and PRL updates. Where before I had mostly 4-5 bars at home I started sometimes dropping down to 1-2 and even to 1x a couple times.

I'll be following Pre/WebOS developments and I hope to be able to try a Pre again in a couple months. We'll see.
    $100 deductible? What happened to the $35? I wouldn't even pay for insurance if I had to pay $100 deductible. I can get a Centro cheaper than $100 off of ebay or craigslist and a 755p cheaper still.

And there is DTG on the Pre, you just have to pay for editing and creating capability.

Quote Originally Posted by nynuke View Post
    I was planning to wait until my October full upgrade date but I dropped my Centro 4 days before the PRE came out. The screen cracked; still works for now but without any touchscreen ability. So it seemed to make sense to avoid the $100 deductible from insurance to get a new PRE. I signed the waiting list and have one waiting for me at a Sprint store.

However, I have been a Palm user for over 10 years and there were some programs I use (Bonsai and DTG) that are crucial to help me stay organized. These can run in Classic but won't work well without a Hotsynch. (While editing text seemed complicated compared to PalmOS, I'm sure that I would get used to it.) As nice as the form factor and WebOS seem, having played with it for about 30 minutes, I think that I am stuck with paying the $100 to Assurion to get another Centro then revisiting the question in October. I wouldn't mind trying it out but it just seems like too much of a hassle to go through a highly probable return process.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    This review sums up my main problem thus far with the Pre.
    Keyboard keyboard keyboard.

The Palm Pre has potential, but it's not a smart phone yet :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Andy Ihnatko

" the keyboard on the Pre is so bad that it’s a dealbreaker for me. I simply can’t use the Pre keyboard without focusing completely on the task of entering text accurately. Compare and contrast with the iPhone and Blackberry Bold, which I can easily type with one-handed, while walking, focusing only on the words I want to input....

But they also made an error that’s so nonsensical that it makes me wonder just what the bloody hell was going on with that section of their design team.

The keys are labeled in white. Some of the character labels also double as numeric inputs; helpfully, the numbers are drawn in orange, clearly implying that you need to first hit the keyboard’s special orange key in order to get a “3.”

Good thinking. So how do you type an exclamation point?

This symbol appears on the upper-right quadrant of the “K” key, in white. Okay, so I bet that I hit the white “Shift” key to get it. Oh, no; obviously that’s for a capital K. Hit shift twice? No.

Whoops! I’m being silly: it’s a symbol, so I obviously hit the “SYM” key …

No …

I have to hit an orange key to get a character that’s clearly labeled in white. Why not use orange labels for all of the orange-button characters"
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    This review sums up my main problem thus far with the Pre.
    Keyboard keyboard keyboard.

The Palm Pre has potential, but it's not a smart phone yet :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Andy Ihnatko

" the keyboard on the Pre is so bad that it’s a dealbreaker for me. I simply can’t use the Pre keyboard without focusing completely on the task of entering text accurately. Compare and contrast with the iPhone and Blackberry Bold, which I can easily type with one-handed, while walking, focusing only on the words I want to input....

But they also made an error that’s so nonsensical that it makes me wonder just what the bloody hell was going on with that section of their design team.

The keys are labeled in white. Some of the character labels also double as numeric inputs; helpfully, the numbers are drawn in orange, clearly implying that you need to first hit the keyboard’s special orange key in order to get a “3.”

Good thinking. So how do you type an exclamation point?

This symbol appears on the upper-right quadrant of the “K” key, in white. Okay, so I bet that I hit the white “Shift” key to get it. Oh, no; obviously that’s for a capital K. Hit shift twice? No.

Whoops! I’m being silly: it’s a symbol, so I obviously hit the “SYM” key …

No …

I have to hit an orange key to get a character that’s clearly labeled in white. Why not use orange labels for all of the orange-button characters"
    He must've not used a Palm phone before cause the solid square button, no matter what color, always did this. I guess it is a little weird. They should've kept SYM key labeled Alt.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/15/2009 at 09:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I decided that I will be returning the Pre this week before something happens to it. The pixel and screen crack threads are starting to make me a bit concerned.

There is so much I really love about the phone but I cannot get past the PIM issues and spotty connectivity. I am going to go back to my Palm TX and my off contract LG VX8300 with VZW while I wait to see what Sprint and Verizon come up with.

I am really looking forward to future WebOS offerings.

I have the insurance but I worry about the screen and the slider mechanism whereas I am able to just toss my TX and phone around without being so careful. It may just be because the phone is new but I do not like that about myself in handling it.

So...it's just a bunch of things. No one huge but I feel it's not there for me yet. Which of course I expected to an extent with a new phone but just did not anticipate how bad the PIM would be for me personally.

This forum is amazing - thank you to everyone for posting such great help.
    The numbers are colored differently to stand out SO YOU CAN FIND THEM. Having to expend 5 seconds to learn how the keys work is not a big deal.

I can type better one handed on this than I could on my treo and certainly better than an iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    He must've not used a Palm phone before cause the solid square button, no matter what color, always did this. I guess it is a little weird. They should've kept SYM key labeled Alt.
    I'd never used a Palm before, and I went through pretty much an identical process. Not the least bit intuitive, but once I figured it out it was OK. I did accidentally try using Shift a couple more times after that. It wasn't a big deal though.
    Thanks for the reply.

You are right about the insurance. The deductible started out at $50 dollars when I bought the phone. The scumbuckets doubled the deductible on me (supposedly sending out a notice but I never saw it.) I will probably cancel it soon.

As for DTG, DataViz says that an editable version of DTG won't be available until later in the year. I don't think that there are any outlining apps like Bonsai available in native WebOS now. In fact, are there any places to save text documents besides Memo?
    It is sad to read so many people are experiencing reception (and thus battery) problems. Although I have posted this already, I believe it bears repeating. My first Pre had the same reception and battery issues. However, when it was replaced due to a bad key, the new Pre (same batch as the original, BTW) has NO reception problems or batter issues.

Other than the phone itself, I am unaware of any differences. The MAC addresses differ by 2 in the last octet (0A versus 0C). They came with v1.0.1 in the box with the flower and black sides.

For what it is worth, some phones seem to work as advertised. Hopefully, Palm will be able to sort out this problem quickly and make everyone as happy with their Pre as I am with mine.
    My battery life has improved since day 1. I also use the standby button on the upper right corner to kill the screen as soon as I'm done using it - that has helped.

DateBk is going to solve my calendar woes. I really don't like the current design, but then I never liked the default calendar on any Treo I've ever owned. With the Pre's big screen that grid view (week-at-a-glance) is going to look spectacular!
    Verizon
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post

I lose some OS slickness and better web browsing, but as I've mentioned before, I care more about my business and daily use needs as opposed to my web browsing, media and personal needs. I
    Try the all new opera mobile 97 or install the

Sprint Titan JAVA environment then install the opera mini.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...vironment.html

These two browsers are much better than the pocket internet explorer.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    iphone vs. Pre

i must say that the build quality, GUI, form factor, display, Contacts, Calendar, and Web handily beats the Palm Pre. and this is coming from a guy who has used PalmOS products exclusively since 1999. the iphone is SOLID and feels like an expensive device. i think it's the quality of glass, metal, and plastic used. the Pre feels flimsy, cheap, plasticky, creaky, and typing on it feels like you are trying to "type into a plastic cup" as someone on TC noted. the iphone OS was simple, easy, well thought out, and intuitive.

am i getting an iphone? not in the near future. i will continue to use my trusty Centro until i can use it no longer. i love my Sprint Unlimited Everything plan for $99/month. no way am i paying $150 (50%+) more for crappier service with AT&T. i have not played with G1/Android but i'm no fan of TMob and no fan of Google.com PIMs and Docs. WinMob is still a contender if v 7.0 expected in early 2010 kicks ****.

I agree with you on the build quality of iPhone vs Pre.
    But please donot take the issue to form factor , web, contacts .... so on.

Pre handily beats iPhone on web.
    Ever since I got my Pre , I am running test with my buddy's iPhone.

Jumping from one app to other on iPhone ??? , hmm press the center button, go to the page the app is , then tap on it.

Pre's implementation is dare i say at least three years ahead of all in this regard.

I am hoping for WinMo to kick all the competition.

I can sympathize with your frustration, I have a 800W , and I know the pain.

You and Crogs are beating on folks here about how great the old PALM features were.

But you have to understand the vast majority of these users doesn't have a clue what a PIM is ?

I know few folks who googled "PALM PIM" to get to know what a PIM was !!!!.

And they have no idea what a smart phone / PDA can do , let alone taking watching youtube.

Pre was not meant for uber geeks like us. It was for the folks who want to buy a smart phone for the first time ( like the vast majority of the iPhone buyers).
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chymo View Post
    this was not what was pitched to me. it was pitched to me as the holy grail iphone killer which would address the functionality required from a modern user in 2009. it fell way, way short of that on release day.
    oh well, even the iPhone fell short. I am sure PALM delivered majority of what they promised.

You can stick to your 700p, till it lasts. Then check if the updates or the upcoming pixie will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I agree with you on the build quality of iPhone vs Pre.
    But please donot take the issue to form factor , web, contacts .... so on.

Jumping from one app to other on iPhone ??? , hmm press the center button, go to the page the app is , then tap on it.

Pre's implementation is dare i say at least three years ahead of all in this regard.

I am hoping for WinMo to kick all the competition.

I can sympathize with your frustration, I have a 800W , and I know the pain.

You and Crogs are beating on folks here about how great the old PALM features were.

But you have to understand the vast majority of these users doesn't have a clue what a PIM is ?

I know few folks who googled "PALM PIM" to get to know what a PIM was !!!!.

And they have no idea what a smart phone / PDA can do , let alone taking watching youtube.

Pre was not meant for uber geeks like us. It was for the folks who want to buy a smart phone for the first time ( like the vast majority of the iPhone buyers).
    i'm not a geek. i'm a businessman. but i get your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I
    Uh the Palm PRe is "faster" on the web (though when I used the Pre in the store it was laggy and unresponsive) than a 1yr old iPhone. Now, how about you compare it to OS 3.0 iphone 3GS and let us know how much "faster" is the Pre
    here's why:

Cheap hardware: it feels so flimsy that I am just not comfortable using it. Feels like it will break just from sliding it open and closed. Not the build quality expected in a $550 phone. My Instinct felt much more robust...

The tiny keyboard is uncomfortable even after using it for more than a week.

The OS, while beautiful, is laggy and nowhere near as responsive as my Blackberry.

No tethering

Web sites hard to read without a bunch of pinching, scrolling, tappinge etc. What I care about (more than whether a site looks just like the real web site) is that it's legible.

Bettery drain is really a joke at this point. I know it may improve a bit with some firmware update, but I need a reliable phone *now.*

Speaker phone seems to work pretty well but it sounds terrible on my end.

The main reason: It has not really added any useful functionality over the BB. And for me it's not worth extending my contract for two years for the Pre. I have decided to wait for a phone with superior build quality. Maybe the next WebOS phone from Sprint...

I REALLY wanted to love this phone, counted the minutes until I could get one. And then was disappointed with the hardware and battery life. I really like the OS, but the trade off is too big. I do not need vast multi-tasking capabilities on my phone in lieu of battery life. Makes no sense to me in terms of how I use my phones.