Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Thanks for dropping by again. Could you also run over the Verizon and play with the Storm for 5 minutes and get back to us?
    What is your problem? Why don't you stop trolling in this discussion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    iphone vs. Pre

today i went to an AT&T store and ran an iphone through its paces with Calendar, Contacts, and Web. i had never before touched an iphone other than holding one for a few seconds. i have NEVER bought an Apple product in my life and i generally despise the liberal politics and attitude of the company and most of its employees and customers.

i must say that the build quality, GUI, form factor, display, Contacts, Calendar, and Web handily beats the Palm Pre. and this is coming from a guy who has used PalmOS products exclusively since 1999. the iphone is SOLID and feels like an expensive device. i think it's the quality of glass, metal, and plastic used. the Pre feels flimsy, cheap, plasticky, creaky, and typing on it feels like you are trying to "type into a plastic cup" as someone on TC noted. the iphone OS was simple, easy, well thought out, and intuitive. the iphone onscreen keyboard was fine and sure beat having to fuss with a slider every time you wanted to type something. and the keyboard knew exactly when to pop up. i didn't get to totally to explore the OS and Applications - but from what i've seen i bet it only gets better. no idea how battery life is but i'm sure it can be no worse than the Pre. of course, iphone App Store and ecosystem and resources and support is a huge plus.

am i getting an iphone? not in the near future. i will continue to use my trusty Centro until i can use it no longer. i love my Sprint Unlimited Everything plan for $99/month. no way am i paying $150 (50%+) more for crappier service with AT&T. i have not played with G1/Android but i'm no fan of TMob and no fan of Google.com PIMs and Docs. WinMob is still a contender if v 7.0 expected in early 2010 kicks ****.

so i will lay in the weeds for the next 12 months and hunker down with my trusty Centro which reliably and easily does everything i need it to do.
    Glad to see you found the perfect phone for you (centro), I on the other hand cannot stand both the iphone nor centro or any other winmo device (especially these devices). So its the pre to me.

Different strokes for different folks, Its also good to see you back trolling again. I say trolling because your opinions are clearly biased and you are doing everything you can to pursued people with your OPINIONS that the pre is junky.

This is fine, I don't mind, Ill enjoy it either way, I don't think the pre is better or worse then its counterparts, the pre is a pre, and it does everything I want it to do the way I want to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Did you buy one and return it?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Serious, pro-pre guys, youre actually the ones trolling this thread! lol!
    If you come to a thread where people are discussing why they don't like the pre, you're the ones off topic... just saying..
    Did you buy one and return it?
    You just dont get the point. Best of luck to you. You're ignored.
    What are we like 5 years old now? Sorry I couldn't help it

But really, I went to this forum to try to help people solve minor problems with the pre, and possibly help someone fix a problem they have so they can avoid returning it.

But I can see now this thread has turned into a haven to people who feel "burned" by the pre that it didn't match every expectation they had or didn't do what they wanted it to do, they state their case to try to deter others from buying it. Then the linger around this thread to be sure that their case is made, and if not they state it like 7 more times.
    Now THAT is the post of the day! Thank you! Oops, guess you want be reading this.....

BTW - since he can't see me - could someone else ask him to answer the question? Why is he here if has not even bought one??
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Why is he here if has not even bought one??
    Pure guess, maybe totally wrong:

because he is an iPhone user, or wanna be iPhone user, he wants apple to make iPhone do multitasking, and he was not happy iPhone 3GS couldn't. But he still has this love-hate relationship with his Jesus phone. So he wasn't dare to critic his god, i.e., apple, so he comes here and throw out all his wrath on Pre: How dare you be better than my Jesus phone!!

or

because he is an apple stock holder.

Now lets get back to the OP, if somebody has returned Pre, what was the cause.

I think sprint's signal is a problem, there is a Zdnet writer mentions that sprint's network will be a major reason if he were to return the Pre, which I agree.
    OK, I agree, back to the original purpose. I will now kindly exit this thread.
    I'm still leaning on keeping mine..... But I do have a few concerns that I'm not sure if it's worth waiting out.

Last night I noticed I have bout six or seven dead pixels... I'm assuming it's a screen defect because upon first purchase I just had a couple. And believe me I'm anal about this stuff, so I inspected it throughly after reading all the complaints on this forum.

I'm also a bit concerned about the lack of applications. I know it's a brand new platform, and what not. But at least when I got the T-mobile G1 it had some fairly decent applications at the launch. They were not great, but far better than the current ones in the Palm market.

The last problem I have is how half-assed the Classic application is. Not that it's really Sprint or Palms fault, they don't own Motionapps... But when Palm had the demo the classic emulator at one of there conferences, they took some responsibility in the claims of decent backwards compatibility. When I say decent backwards compatibility, I mean that even if it was only decent at this point, I'd be satisfied. But Classic is a long shot off of decent right now. For 30 bucks you can own a buggy/laggy application, that doesn't support sound and has issues at times with saving data. But at least you get a 7 day trial?

Where I'm torn is that the OS itself is amazing. I LOVE the gestures and design... And I believe with some more work and tweaking it could be simply amazing all around.

So I'm waiting until the end of the 30 day period before I make any decisions. No matter what though if I end up keeping it, I'll be requesting an exchange through sprint because of the dead pixel issue on my phone and addition of the insurance coverage. But thats only comes if we see the market improve a bit (not asking for a miracle here, but some decent applications would be nice). And the Classic application simply must get better, because I need a lot of older Palm OS applications until better replacements come along.

Here's to hoping for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRacingZX6R View Post
    Last night I noticed I have bout six or seven dead pixels...

I'm also a bit concerned about the lack of applications. I know it's a brand new platform, and what not. But at least when I got the T-mobile G1 it had some fairly decent applications at the launch. They were not great, but far better than the current ones in the Palm market.

The last problem I have is how half-assed the Classic application is.
    yeah, for a relatively small screen, 6 dead pixels are too much, you should at least get it replaced.

Classic, yeah, I hope palm offers it for free, it will only do good for them. such as, it can actually remedy the 2nd problem you listed, while palm can have time to breed out more webOS apps.
    I have to agree with many of Gekko's points (though I disagree when he says that the iPhone's built in Calendar, Contact's and Web apps are better than the Pre's). I've owned an iPhone for 2 years now (both the original and the 3G) and now I own and plan to keep the Pre. The truth is the Pre's build quality is horrible. I'm pushing 40 these days and I've bought a lot of nice things in my life, and I've also bought a lot of cheap things. The Pre simply feels cheap and there's no denying that no matter how much I like some of its features. On the other hand, the iPhone feels extremely solid and well built. I know good build quality and the iPhone has it and the Pre doesn't. There's a lot to love about the Pre and if Palm had chosen quality manufacturing for it it would be a slam dunk. But instead they chose to charge a premium quality price while going with the cheapest possible construction they could find. Of course people are going to be upset and they have every right to be. I'm already on my second Pre in only a week and this one's going back too because of screen, slider and radio quality issues. I love the concept and design of the Pre but the construction is awful!

I won't use the "it feels like a toy" line because I've bought many toys that were better built than the Pre. I'm not trying to be a hater or a troll; it's simply the truth. And I'm not a fan of Apple either. I don't like the company's business practices or its attitude but the simple fact is they're one of the few companies these days that delivers quality.
    roflmao
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxla View Post
    how would Palm/Sprint release a phone with such network problems
    Probably because they didn't notice the problem. Although there are a lot of people having the issue, when products are tested they usually have a smaller sample to draw from. It's entirely statistically possible that no one had issues when it was tested.

I guess I just get frustrated with people that ask obvious questions. Why does everyone assume that Palm knew about the issue when it came out? Almost every new smartphone has issues the first few months as the developers discover issues that they didn't know existed. If you are an early adopter, you just learn to deal with the annoyances until they are fixed. Otherwise, you get a different phone and wait a year or two until all the bugs are fixed. Complaining and griping about it doesn't do any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxwv88 View Post
    Probably because they didn't notice the problem. Although there are a lot of people having the issue, when products are tested they usually have a smaller sample to draw from. It's entirely statistically possible that no one had issues when it was tested.

I guess I just get frustrated with people that ask obvious questions. Why does everyone assume that Palm knew about the issue when it came out? Almost every new smartphone has issues the first few months as the developers discover issues that they didn't know existed. If you are an early adopter, you just learn to deal with the annoyances until they are fixed. Otherwise, you get a different phone and wait a year or two until all the bugs are fixed. Complaining and griping about it doesn't do any good.
    I disagree. Sprint sold me a phone. A PHONE. WITH BAD RECEPTION. Nobody should have to wait TWO YEARS for PALM/Sprint to solve a RECEPTION issue with a PHONE. Other complaints, I agree, are minor. But reception???? That's ridiculous.
    iphone vs. Pre

today i went to an AT&T store and ran an iphone through its paces with Calendar, Contacts, and Web. i had never before touched an iphone other than holding one for a few seconds. i have NEVER bought an Apple product in my life and i generally despise the liberal politics and attitude of the company and most of its employees and customers.

i must say that the build quality, GUI, form factor, display, Contacts, Calendar, and Web handily beats the Palm Pre. and this is coming from a guy who has used PalmOS products exclusively since 1999. the iphone is SOLID and feels like an expensive device. i think it's the quality of glass, metal, and plastic used. the Pre feels flimsy, cheap, plasticky, creaky, and typing on it feels like you are trying to "type into a plastic cup" as someone on TC noted. the iphone OS was simple, easy, well thought out, and intuitive. the iphone onscreen keyboard was fine and sure beat having to fuss with a slider every time you wanted to type something. and the keyboard knew exactly when to pop up. i didn't get to totally to explore the OS and Applications - but from what i've seen i bet it only gets better. no idea how battery life is but i'm sure it can be no worse than the Pre. of course, iphone App Store and ecosystem and resources and support is a huge plus.

am i getting an iphone? not in the near future. i will continue to use my trusty Centro until i can use it no longer. i love my Sprint Unlimited Everything plan for $99/month. no way am i paying $150 (50%+) more for crappier service with AT&T. i have not played with G1/Android but i'm no fan of TMob and no fan of Google.com PIMs and Docs. WinMob is still a contender if v 7.0 expected in early 2010 kicks ****.

so i will lay in the weeds for the next 12 months and hunker down with my trusty Centro which reliably and easily does everything i need it to do.
    I owned an iphone and I think the Pre beats the iphone in every category.
    Quote Originally Posted by sel1965 View Post
    I owned an iphone and I think the Pre beats the iphone in every category.

Including application availability, screen size/readability, and music playing ??
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Including application availability, screen size/readability, and music playing ??
    The few places it doesn't, it likely will within the next year. Remember, the iPhone didn't even have an app store on release, so the Pre has it beat compared to iPhone on release.

Oh, and although the Iphone may have a slightly larger screen by a half inch or so, the readability is just as good, and arguably better.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Yes.
    iphone vs. Pre

I finally got to play with the Pre a bit. Honestly, I was less than impressed with the build quality and keyboard of the Pre too, especially when they want $300 out the door. But then I didn't use it enough to see if I could get used to it.

The screen was pretty decent though. The contacts app didn't seem too bad either.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!