Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    How many posts have you heard about cracked screens or distortion? Keep in mind that many people don't come to forums until they have a problem so if you're gauging whether or not to buy one based on a few unhappy posts then you're going to get a distorted view (pun intended).

Sorry to you all......Just so I wasn't the crotchety old whinner...I went and got a PRE last night.

I will say this....I like some of functions of the phone....REALLY like the way Pandora works....and email....It's so so....but works.

NOW......Sorry to you all who think it's been all doom and gloom from me.....but this phone SUCKS in the area of reception.....can't get 2 bars anywhere on my property......therefore the web doesn't work without WiFi...email lags....the phone seems to slow waaaaaayyyyyy down....oh.....and not being able to move around with a directional device....this might be the worst aspect of the phone. I was typing an email and noticed a few typing errors....please forgive me.......and then tried to get to them by touching the screen......WOW....if I have to touch around for 2-3 minutes to get the cursor to where I want it......that's un-acceptable.

Just plain and simple.....this phone has way too many things that where over-looked and just don't function like they should......I mean really.....signal strength should be the first priority with a CELL PHONE....duntcha think??????

Anyway...it's going back today.....OH AND I'M A LITTLE PISSED AT THE $35/RESTOCKING FEE WITH SPRINT....UNBELIEVABLE.

To be honest.....I have to say...there might have been a chance....albeit small, of me keeping it if I could get steady service at my home.
    I can be in my basement and in the corner and still get 5 bars and perfect data service on my 755p. I was also at dinner last night in the middle of Downtown Minneapolis, and wanted to check the score of the Stanley Cup game 7.....I couldn't get data service to save my soul....and 1 bar for voice.

Anyway....there you go.....OBJECTIVITY...and then REALITY!
    I think the design is also questionable. I don't understand how it is efficient to use a keyboard, then have to move your hand away from the keyboard onto a separate screen to move around the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    I think the design is also questionable. I don't understand how it is efficient to use a keyboard, then have to move your hand away from the keyboard onto a separate screen to move around the OS.
    We have two hands..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    We have two hands..
    Yes, and your point is?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccizzy View Post
    oh.....and not being able to move around with a directional device....this might be the worst aspect of the phone. I was typing an email and noticed a few typing errors....please forgive me.......and then tried to get to them by touching the screen......WOW....if I have to touch around for 2-3 minutes to get the cursor to where I want it......that's un-acceptable.
    It is. I'm trying to figure out how the heck it's supposed to work smoothly, but I've had little success, so far.

As I type this, it occurs to me that maybe we ought to try positioning the cursor or highlighting text in landscape mode. It's not like we have to type in that orientation, as well, but it WOULD automatically enlarge the text and increase our accuracy. Then, we can switch back to portrait orientation.

Luckily, it switches from one to the other quickly and easily. (As you may be able to tell, I'm really, really trying to give this operating system's new user interface a really, really fair shake before i really, really say screw it and find an alternate replacement for my 755p, when the time comes.)

Just plain and simple.....this phone has way too many things that where over-looked and just don't function like they should......I mean really.....signal strength should be the first priority with a CELL PHONE....duntcha think??????
    If you tell Sprint about this, they may hook you up with a free Airave to boost your in-home reception.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    oh.....and not being able to move around with a directional device....this might be the worst aspect of the phone. I was typing an email and noticed a few typing errors....please forgive me.......and then tried to get to them by touching the screen......WOW....if I have to touch around for 2-3 minutes to get the cursor to where I want it......that's un-acceptable.
    I was in the same boat as you and it was driving me crazy. I ended up taking mine back last week for other reasons (reception, non-SSL being the major two). But, in the Pre's defense... I figured out how to get around the screen more easily from reading a tip here. If you press orange or shift (forgot which one), you can move the cursor around the screen without trying to hunt n' peck to the exact location you want. It's actually much easier.

But, I understand, I was getting very frustrated at first to get back to places on the screen.
    Brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Yes, and your point is?
    His point is you are a negative troller. You don't like the phone, fine. Then add your complaints to the bug list, go buy an iPhone and move to TiPB's forums and complaint there.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    His point is you are a negative troller. You don't like the phone, fine. Then add your complaints to the bug list, go buy an iPhone and move to TiPB's forums and complaint there.
    Huh, how am I trolling in the "Complaint thread"?
    Geesh, if you don't like people complaining about your precious perfect Pre, dont read this thread.
    returning my palm pre today. this post is to help those that are still on the fence.
    there is a long list of reasons but these are my top 10

1. battery life stinks
    2. signal strength weak
    3. inability to copy n paste text in webpages
    4. inability to synch with outlook easily
    5. sluggish apps
    6. keyboard just a little too small for 1 handed operation
    7. inability to dial a phone number in an email or webpage and be able to put a *67 in front of the number
    8. when I launch a webpage the treo remembers where I left off
    9. versamail allows me to change the reply to address that appears
    10. I found the 5 way navigation and short cut program keys to be faster in terms of switching between apps on the treo

don't get me wrong there is a lot to like and there are a lot of cool new features but for everyday business use this device is just not as solid as my 755P. I get over 200 emails a day, use the web and the IM constantly and utilize outlook extensively just to give you some perspective. I have no problems getting through a full day without needing to recharge. I can navigate between apps very fast. I have been using palm devices since the beginning so I want them to succeed and not bashing the pre by any means.

the palm was great because of it's simplicity, excellent PIM app and the ability to do everything 1 handed. why they left out the ability to sync with outlook was a HUGE mistake. this new pre is a step in the right direction and I can definitely tell the future is bright.

hopefully they might decide to keep the 755P form factor and put a scaled version of the webos....then we might have something!
    Last edited by greatdeals; 06/13/2009 at 09:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Sorry to you all......Just so I wasn't the crotchety old whinner...I went and got a PRE last night.

I will say this....I like some of functions of the phone....REALLY like the way Pandora works....and email....It's so so....but works.

...oh.....and not being able to move around with a directional device....this might be the worst aspect of the phone. I was typing an email and noticed a few typing errors....please forgive me.......and then tried to get to them by touching the screen......WOW....if I have to touch around for 2-3 minutes to get the cursor to where I want it......that's un-acceptable.
    Read the manual.....you can move around text really easily. Pres the orange button.
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdeals View Post
    returning my palm pre today. this post is to help those that are still on the fence.
    there is a long list of reasons but these are my top 10

1. battery life stinks
    2. signal strength weak
    3. inability to copy n paste text in webpages
    4. inability to synch with outlook easily
    5. sluggish apps
    6. keyboard just a little too small for 1 handed operation
    7. inability to dial a phone number in an email or webpage and be able to put a *67 in front of the number
    8. when I launch a webpage the treo remembers where I left off
    9. versamail allows me to change the reply to address that appears
    10. I found the 5 way navigation and short cut program keys to be faster in terms of switching between apps on the treo

don't get me wrong there is a lot to like and there are a lot of cool new features but for everyday business use this device is just not as solid as my 755P. I get over 200 emails a day, use the web and the IM constantly and utilize outlook extensively just to give you some perspective. I have no problems getting through a full day without needing to recharge. I can navigate between apps very fast. I have been using palm devices since the beginning so I want them to succeed and not bashing the pre by any means.

the palm was great because of it's simplicity, excellent PIM app and the ability to do everything 1 handed. why they left out the ability to sync with outlook was a HUGE mistake. this new pre is a step in the right direction and I can definitely tell the future is bright.

hopefully they might decide to keep the 755P form factor and put a scaled version of the webos....then we might have something!
    You went from saying thaat it doesn't sync with Outlook easily to saying it doesn't sync with Outlook. I'm not sure which you believe but from what I understand, it does sync with Outlook.
    What good is having a cell phone if you can't use it as a cell phone because the reception sucks? This is a reception disaster! I live in NYC and I have never had reception issues with any of the other 5+ palm phones I have owned over the years.

I just got a call from my wife's Pre to my Pre and the signal dropped 3 times during our much interrupted conversation. Half the time I tried to call her back it went to voice mail and her or my phone never even rang. It took 10 minutes and almost 10 calls to decide that she should get the GREEN rug. Ten calls for one word...GREEN!!!! In NYC for crying out loud. This phone is worse than the old, original brick cell I used while working in the mid 90's!!!! WTF????

I can live with crappy battery life (sigh annoyed) and I can change the way I use my palm devices to become more "iphone like" and learn to love it but the reception issue is a deal breaker for me personally!!!

On the other hand I guess I don't know when my mother-in-law is calling until I check my messages...is that a positive???

Go ahead, Love your "Pre-1996" cell phone BUT WE CAN'T MAKE AND RECEIVE CALLS ON OURS!!!!!

I love my new Pre in SO MANY WAYS but I can't make calls on it more than half the time. I feel ripped off and lied to!!!

Sorry, but bad reception CAN'T BE DEFENDED IN ANY WAY!!! I don't care about cost, China, fine print, or anything else. One simply can't defend a cell phone that doesn't work well in NYC.
    Last edited by jbrowland; 06/13/2009 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxla View Post

This is just unacceptable, Even though my BB Curve and previous phones use to get GREAT EVDO connection in my house, Palm Pre seems to be buggy and switches to 1X for no bloody reason! - its going back on Monday, oh how i would of loved to of kept the phone, but its just not practical.
    I have the exact same issue with my phone. It's very annoying, but it starts working again after I reboot the phone completely.

It has to be a phone issue, not a service issue..
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    What good is having a cell phone if you can't use it as a cell phone because the reception sucks? This is a reception disaster!
    I guess I was just lucky & feel bad for those who are getting bad reception. I travel for a living & since I have had the Pre, I have been in: 1)Hill Country near San Antonio, 2)San Antonio, 3)Detroit, 4)Boston, 5)West Palm Beach, 6)NY LaGuardia, & 7)Tampa.

I have NEVER had a call dropped. I have only lost the network once--in a bar in West Palm Beach--but they had wi-fi.

Today I was walking in St Pete, FL, w/my Pre in its Sprint bag, in my front pocket, listening to Pandora--the music could not have been clearer. Not a single interruption in 90 minutes of walking.

Again, maybe I have just been fortunate, but I have been all over the country (San Diego tonight) & not experienced the problems others are saying they have.

IMO, the Pre rocks.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I guess I was just lucky & feel bad for those who are getting bad reception. I travel for a living & since I have had the Pre, I have been in: 1)Hill Country near San Antonio, 2)San Antonio, 3)Detroit, 4)Boston, 5)West Palm Beach, 6)NY LaGuardia, & 7)Tampa.

I have NEVER had a call dropped. I have only lost the network once--in a bar in West Palm Beach--but they had wi-fi.

Today I was walking in St Pete, FL, w/my Pre in its Sprint bag, in my front pocket, listening to Pandora--the music could not have been clearer. Not a single interruption in 90 minutes of walking.

Again, maybe I have just been fortunate, but I have been all over the country (San Diego tonight) & not experienced the problems others are saying they have.

IMO, the Pre rocks.

Cheers
    Posts like your are the only reason I haven't returned our Pre's yet. I still have hope but it is draining with each voice mail and dropped call I get.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    Posts like your are the only reason I haven't returned our Pre's yet. I still have hope but it is draining with each voice mail and dropped call I get.
    Maybe it's a sign that your unit is defective in some way and should just be exchanged.
    iphone vs. Pre

today i went to an AT&T store and ran an iphone through its paces with Calendar, Contacts, and Web. i had never before touched an iphone other than holding one for a few seconds. i have NEVER bought an Apple product in my life and i generally despise the liberal politics and attitude of the company and most of its employees and customers.

i must say that the build quality, GUI, form factor, display, Contacts, Calendar, and Web handily beats the Palm Pre. and this is coming from a guy who has used PalmOS products exclusively since 1999. the iphone is SOLID and feels like an expensive device. i think it's the quality of glass, metal, and plastic used. the Pre feels flimsy, cheap, plasticky, creaky, and typing on it feels like you are trying to "type into a plastic cup" as someone on TC noted. the iphone OS was simple, easy, well thought out, and intuitive. the iphone onscreen keyboard was fine and sure beat having to fuss with a slider every time you wanted to type something. and the keyboard knew exactly when to pop up. i didn't get to totally to explore the OS and Applications - but from what i've seen i bet it only gets better. no idea how battery life is but i'm sure it can be no worse than the Pre. of course, iphone App Store and ecosystem and resources and support is a huge plus.

am i getting an iphone? not in the near future. i will continue to use my trusty Centro until i can use it no longer. i love my Sprint Unlimited Everything plan for $99/month. no way am i paying $150 (50%+) more for crappier service with AT&T. i have not played with G1/Android but i'm no fan of TMob and no fan of Google.com PIMs and Docs. WinMob is still a contender if v 7.0 expected in early 2010 kicks ****.

so i will lay in the weeds for the next 12 months and hunker down with my trusty Centro which reliably and easily does everything i need it to do.
    Thanks for dropping by again. Could you also run over the Verizon and play with the Storm for 5 minutes and get back to us?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    the truth hurts.
    Your "truth" is not my truth - and I have actually owned both phones. So I have sepnt a little more than 48 hours with a Pre and 5 minutes with an iPhone.

Bitterness - you wear it very well.