Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    This is just unacceptable, Even though my BB Curve and previous phones use to get GREAT EVDO connection in my house, Palm Pre seems to be buggy and switches to 1X for no bloody reason! - its going back on Monday, oh how i would of loved to of kept the phone, but its just not practical.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% I paid almost $600 for this phone after tax and all I ever get is 1x all of my other sprint phones had great signal first im going to take it back get another one and if it has the same problem then im going to take it back and get a touch pro 2 when it comes out. I like the phone but there are just too many issues with it.

As far as buying a router... I have one but i didnt switch from a $49/mo sero plan to a $89/mo plan to only be able to use the internet at home. (thats why i have a computer) so I'm going to wait a week and see if an update comes out to fix it if not im taking it back getting another one if its crap too im jumpin ship. I dont have $600 to throw away!
    www.twitter.com/jimmiekain
    www.myspace.com/jimmiekain

Phone History
    Palm Pre (spt) Too new to rate.
    HTC Touch Pro (spt) Great
    HTC Diamond (spt) whatever
    HTC Mogul (spt) love it
    Motorola Q (spt) whatever
    Motorola Q (vzw) whatever
    LG envy (vzw)hated it
    Treo 700w (spt)hated it
    Treo 700p (spt)hated it
    PPC 6700 (spt) hated it
    Sanyo VM4500 (spt) loved it
    Samsung VGA1000 (spt) loved it

LOL I had a lot of phones!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    and nowhere in your statement did you talk about PIM functionality. The people that are expressing negative views are people that have issue with the dumbed down PIM functionality compared to PalmOS. You also mentioned web browsing. Didn't say anything about trying to download from the web.

Outside of my design issues, I enjoyed "playing" with the Pre for a day. I couldn't do any real work on it because I hadn't yet done the info migration. I rather enjoyed playing around with the OS. Surfing the web, listening to Pandora, sending texts, emailing, and such. When I got home and was able to migrate my info over, I realized how much info that wouldn't take. And the absence of certain info would make it difficult to manage my contacts, calendar and memos. People coming from dumbphones, the iphone or other lesser phones with simpler PIMS will be fine. People that don't utilize all the PIM functionality won't notice. Long time Palm users who rely on the PIM functionality have been and will be disappointed. Just because you think Gekko is an old coot, doesn't mean he's not right.
    I too was disappointed with the lacking PIM functionality. It seems like Palm saw the iPhone and said "we want to be like that". When they should have said "we could be better than that by combining iPhone-esque functionality with our own strengths" (i.e., PIM integration). However, I'm keeping the Pre and betting on 3rd party app developers like Chapura to do what Palm missed. Should I have to rely on 3rd party devs? Probably not. But we are where we are so they're my best bet right now.
    I've been getting a lot of heat too from this forum. Look, the Palm Pre is awesome. Probably on Par or better than iPhone. My biggest issue is network signal and battery life. I had no problems with iPhone in these areas. I could last 24 hrs with the iPhone. I can't last 10 hrs on sleep mode/standby and no background apps running with the Pre. This is the only reason I've returned my Pre. Other than that, I loved the OS. I mean, if the Nokia E-71 has a 1500mah battery, why can't the Pre?
    Mine is going back today and I am going back to my Centro. I get lousy battery life, a truly constantly bouncing signal that is real because web access drops off when signal drops, no "find/search" option in calendar - so much for Universal Search, not even remotely as productive as the Centro or all other Palm phones I have had. Love the form factor and hate the phone functionality.
    Well the nice thing for me is I have a Centro and a Palm Pro. So there's no harm in using tried and true while Palm hopefully wises up and sees that being like an iphone isn't always a good thing. I truly wonder how much influence Rubes and his people had on some of the PIM design and why they thought it was a good thing to take so many steps backward. It seems like it matches up well with Google which could've been their goal, which is also quite disappointed. I'd rather them push google to improve their PIM than to dumb down their own to match up. It's just confusing and disappointing to see a company go backwards like that when the rest of the phone is rather impressive (outside some of the hopefully fixable bugs).

I think the more people that put a call in to Palm and express the above and that they are returning or have returned their Pre could help the cause.

One other thing I noticed, the lack of a d-pad really really sucks. Simple navigation through text, copy and paste (hold the orange button and use the d-pad...how f*in simple would that be?) would be so much easier. And the combination of a d-pad and gestures would have people flying through the OS. That would truly be an innovative feature on a touchscreen phone over the useless center buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I too was disappointed with the lacking PIM functionality. It seems like Palm saw the iPhone and said "we want to be like that". When they should have said "we could be better than that by combining iPhone-esque functionality with our own strengths" (i.e., PIM integration). However, I'm keeping the Pre and betting on 3rd party app developers like Chapura to do what Palm missed. Should I have to rely on 3rd party devs? Probably not. But we are where we are so they're my best bet right now.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    ...Palm hopefully wises up and sees that being like an iphone isn't always a good thing
    What is frustrating is that they can still be like the iPhone insofar as having the finger-swiping action on the screen, just not at the expense of the d-pad.

Best of both worlds. Hmmm... what a concept.
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm III > Palm V > Sony Clie S300 > Palm m505 > Sony Clie N710C > Sony Clie N760C > Sony Clie T615C > Sony Clie NR70 > Sony Clie TG50 > Handspring Treo 600 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo 700p > Palm Centro
    Mine is going back today. It's already packed and ready. The phone itself is great has all the features I want. I even got used to the keyboard pretty fast. I love the Gestures. The problem was the reception issue, I couldn't get reception at home or at work. It just bounced from 0-5 bars and back down. Which I think this may be why my battery was horrible. I tried with everything turned off and from 7:30 to 11:30 my phone would go from 100% to 50%. What the hell? That's with making one call, one email account set to check once per hour, sent one text message, screen brightness around 50%, all GPS options off, no IM, no programs. So basically, if I used it as a regular phone the battery was bad, without using any of the features that make the Pre what it is. If I turned all those thing on it would last me half of that. Hopefully Palm fixes this because the phone has potential. I loved it, except for the battery and reception problems. I will definitely be back. I will continue to monitor PreCentral to see how things improve with the Pre. Good luck with the Phone guys.

BTW, this was my second Pre, the first one had crashes, dead pixels, even worse battery, screen leaking or discoloration, and a major heat issue.
    Best of both worlds. Hmmm... what a concept.
    Exactly, They kinda did that in having a touch screen and a keyboard.
    Neither is a great subsitute for a dpad. Ditto, they coulda shipped with a
    touchscreen keyboard.

It does seem they've just tried to be another version of an iphone, rather than aiming for the best of both, especially in PIM apps.

Anyone played with Evernote (now available for Pre). If the data could be brought over, it would be an AWESOME way to access PalmOS notes (and do a lot more).

Then I'd just need a way not to lose all my custom fields in my contacts and I'd be on board the Pre.

... and then hopefully not have to fight too many quality/hw/signal issues as some have had to do.
    PalmPilot > Pilot Pro > PalmIII > PalmV > m500 > m505 > KyoceraPalmPhone > Treo650 > Centro > ?pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    Actually, what Gekko said was silly: "i need a reliable, efficient, productive, intuitive business tool that just works. for fanboys that don't do any real business work, the Pre may be fine. but many of us don't have that luxury."

It may not work for HIM, but for ME, so far the Pre is a "reliable, efficient, productive, intuitive business tool that just works." I'm a trial lawyer running my own law firm, using the Pre all day at work. It's "real business work".

Saying it doesn't work for you is one thing. Saying it doesn't work for "any real business work" is just ludicrous.
    I think you may have missed some context there. If not, feel free to correct me.

I don't think Gekko said that statement in a vacuum. There were people attacking his perspective, which he presents as one driven and molded by his needs. The way they responded was by saying this his points were invalid because the issues he raised weren't issues that affected their own personal usage. They don't describe themselves as business users in most cases so I think Gekko was responded to both their venom and the perspective from which they evaluate the Pre (i.e. one very different from his own).

I think there was some venom on Gekko's part as well, but really, when you're being attacked from so many different fronts, it's a truly extraordinary individual who doesn't lash out in any way.

Again, your points may have some validity, but I think Gekko's responses have to be viewed in the proper context. Similarly, I think there's value in the perspective of those who don't ALWAYS want to see a positive thread turned sour by the FIRST post (after the op's) being from someone knocking the Pre.

I guess that, after all of the time Palm has made us wait, maybe it's only the most passionate of us that are still around to evaluate the current state of things and sometimes we go too far - on both sides.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Well the nice thing for me is I have a Centro and a Palm Pro. So there's no harm in using tried and true while Palm hopefully wises up and sees that being like an iphone isn't always a good thing. I truly wonder how much influence Rubes and his people had on some of the PIM design and why they thought it was a good thing to take so many steps backward. It seems like it matches up well with Google which could've been their goal, which is also quite disappointed. I'd rather them push google to improve their PIM than to dumb down their own to match up. It's just confusing and disappointing to see a company go backwards like that when the rest of the phone is rather impressive (outside some of the hopefully fixable bugs).

I think the more people that put a call in to Palm and express the above and that they are returning or have returned their Pre could help the cause.

One other thing I noticed, the lack of a d-pad really really sucks. Simple navigation through text, copy and paste (hold the orange button and use the d-pad...how f*in simple would that be?) would be so much easier. And the combination of a d-pad and gestures would have people flying through the OS. That would truly be an innovative feature on a touchscreen phone over the useless center buttons.
    I don't know how "easy" the d-pad would have been but it certainly would be helpful moving around the cursor.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Sorta back OT.

I love the Pre, I think this phone is teh pwnzer.

BUT, if Palm doesn't fix the signal and battery draining issues - adios Pre!
    I returned my Pre because of lack of good reception at my house and the missing ability to sync EAS over non-SSL.

I believe both can be improved with an OTA update and will be improved but I didn't want to get locked into the Sprint contact in the hopes that a fix was coming. I was gonna stick it out since I did have 30 days but I started getting nervous that I was gonna drop the phone or scratch it and then not be able to return it.

So, I'll keep an eye out on the forum and see how things progress. I did like the phone alot though!
    Brandon
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    You definitely do NOT have average or just above average business device needs. I doubt very seriously that the Pre or any other device besides a netbook with a built in Verizon card could hold all 16yrs worth of your memos, cal events, and all complete with Fonts, formats, and colors, and Icons<-lets not forget those)

I would like to assume that this was you being sarcastic about the conversation at hand, but I couldnt tell.

u get props for purchasing 3 pres, but u knew when you bought them they were Not going to live up to those expectations right.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    Palm didn't provide a way to import Tasks or Memos into my three new Pre Devices? And what about thousands of Datebook or Calendar entries? C'mon!?

I've got more than 13,000 records I need/use from 16 years of MEMOS, CALENDAR events with attached notes (complete with DatebookPlus fonts, formats, colors, icons), and critical data that I've recorded in TASKS, etc.

The reason I didn't switch to an I-phone, or any other OS for that matter, is because all my palmOS data, and related functions, are more valuable to me (and my business) than the device itself.

I CANNOT believe Palm has ignored we remaining hundreds of thousands of Palm customers who MUST HAVE the ability to transfer/sync all of their past data (some as far back as their US Robotics devices) or they cannot switch to something new!

I bought three Pre's yesterday (I had to hold my nose cuz I absolutely hate sprint). I love what the Pre's do, but the more I'm finding out what they CAN'T do I realize I'm going to have to return them until someone makes a device or enough workarounds to import all of my data in a usable format. I guess I'm going to have to keep buying used 755p's until there ain't no more around. And, frankly, waiting until VZ or ATT either have a working Pre or something even better strikes me as more preferable than giving sprint even a dime of my money.

I am so bummed. I really thought the Pre was finally the freaking answer.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I guess one of the interesting things about this conversation is that...Almost everyone has made technology lifestyle choices that define whether or not a certain device (the pre in this case) is right for you.

Scenarios like....

-If only the Pre could hold all 16,000 of my specialized notes from some program
    -I wish it could take all my contacts and suck in the special fields i have for each contact into the device (above the normal)
    -It gets warm when I talk on it
    -I should stick with my Nextel Motorola ic902 - because u can tether

etc etc...

I am not bashing but just taking stock of how each person made a personal tech decision on what tool to use for a life problem, and then see how that tech decision affects each persons wants or needs in light of a new device.

If you are living your life effectively by using a best of breed task or note taking program, by all means have at it, but know that you are putting a lot of apples in one basket right... Pre or No Pre, its just a fact.
    A lot of the people complaining about the Pre would be better served by a BlackBerry. Buying the Pre was a mistake from the get-go and they were doomed to have a bad experience. Sounds like they got caught up in the hype (although there was precious little of it away from these boards!) and bought something that was not designed for their needs.

If folks cannot wait for missing features to be added, then by all means get a more mature device. Just do some research this time and make sure that whatever you choose actually has the features you count on.
    Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by shalero View Post
    I am sorry but seeing the phone at best buy was a complete turn off for me. I really wanted to believe in the phone but what I saw at the store was not what was preached. The keyboard was horrible!!

For me I just think anyone that truly love this phone to death is on Palm's payroll.
    It just does not compare to my iPhone which I also don't like that much bcos I think Apple short changes its customers. It just does not compare.
    What!?! I haven't seen a single check from those thieving bastards! I LOVE THE PRE! I LOVE THE KEYBOARD! Palm, the ball is in your court. That will five thousand dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by raerae28 View Post
    I guess one of the interesting things about this conversation is that...Almost everyone has made technology lifestyle choices that define whether or not a certain device (the pre in this case) is right for you.
    Pardon my ignorance but could you, perhaps, provide a logical reason for deciding any other way?

You definitely do NOT have average or just above average business device needs. I doubt very seriously that the Pre or any other device besides a netbook with a built in Verizon card could hold all 16yrs worth of your memos, cal events, and all complete with Fonts, formats, and colors, and Icons.
    Uh. Whu?
    I realize I didn't mention my solution until all the way down in the 5th paragraph of my post, so it would be folly to think you read it, but, did I say I needed anything fancy? Or larger than what can fit in the palm of my hand?
    Yeah, no. I didn't.
    Um, just the PIM offered by PALM for almost two decades. You know, the Memos/Contacts/Tasks/DatebookCalendar that I'm using one-handed right now on my 755p whilst typing this post with the other hand tied behind my back.

I wish it could take all my contacts and suck in the special fields i have for each contact into the device (above the normal)
    Well, you've got me there. I must truthfully admit that I didn't notice a single post, blog, or article warning that the upcoming Palm Pre would fail to transfer my complete Palm contact history. No siree, I wouldn't have PREdicted that in a million years.

If you are living your life effectively by using a best of breed task or note taking program, by all means have at it, but know that you are putting a lot of apples in one basket right... Pre or No Pre, its just a fact.
    Yup. Very effectively with my 755p. Er, multiple 755p's. I already had four and I just bought 2 more for my "basket"--as you put it. Just in case, you know. .....wait for it..... basket case.
    I'll be operating my business from my basket case while I wait for the ***** Savante Pre to get a brain transplant operation. Symmetry.

I would like to assume that this was you being sarcastic about the conversation at hand, but I couldnt tell.
    Maybe you can now. ;-)
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    any word on an extended battery coming out?
    yeah there is one on this page.
    www.twitter.com/jimmiekain
    www.myspace.com/jimmiekain

Phone History
    Palm Pre (spt) Too new to rate.
    HTC Touch Pro (spt) Great
    HTC Diamond (spt) whatever
    HTC Mogul (spt) love it
    Motorola Q (spt) whatever
    Motorola Q (vzw) whatever
    LG envy (vzw)hated it
    Treo 700w (spt)hated it
    Treo 700p (spt)hated it
    PPC 6700 (spt) hated it
    Sanyo VM4500 (spt) loved it
    Samsung VGA1000 (spt) loved it

LOL I had a lot of phones!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Is the pre's battery compared to the G1?
    that is the deal breaker for me! lol.
  20. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    A lot of the people complaining about the Pre would be better served by a BlackBerry. Buying the Pre was a mistake from the get-go and they were doomed to have a bad experience. Sounds like they got caught up in the hype (although there was precious little of it away from these boards!) and bought something that was not designed for their needs.

If folks cannot wait for missing features to be added, then by all means get a more mature device. Just do some research this time and make sure that whatever you choose actually has the features you count on.
    I could definitely wait for missing features to be added. That's not an issue for me personally. The issue I DO have is that Palm had more than enough time to iron out the hardware issues & decided to go cheap on parts/workmanship. Screen bloatches, extreme overheating, slider mechanism loosening up within a weeks usage to the point that when you are tapping on the screen, you can hear the top half hitting the bottom half....unacceptable.