Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
    I'm sorry, but some of you sound like the "heavy-maintenance" end users I used to deal with when I was a desktop support technician... I'm sorry that Palm didn't make the magic script to migrate and create all the custom data you have on your phones, but it's the reason (well, one of) I became certified and now manage a datacenter... UGH! This brings back too-painful of memories.

That said, I LOVE the Pre... Just have a few niggling technical issues, but it's heads and shoulders better than my iPhone [for me].

[EDIT] I'm sure in due time, someone will create an app that will do all this. And hopefully charge a nominal fee. Just like the MissingSync and PocketMirror apps show, necessity drives innovations.
    Last edited by Enlil242; 06/11/2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added text
    Understand you're thinking there, as I've been in similar situations (ugh), but this is not exactly custom data they are missing.

They were a fixed number of predefined fields, everyone of them identical, of a fairly short fixed maximum length, that hold nothign but a single text string, and that were included in the core apps for years. They're labeled 'custom', but that's along way from being custom data or requiring custom migration. It's just a one to one fixed mapping a-a b-b c-c. No one is asking for named fields, or db functionality or anything of that short.
    Just don't want our contact info arbitrarily truncated and years of hard won data tossed.

I don't think that's so unreasonable.

They ARE leaving a lot of opportunities for 3rd party apps developers. PIM4WebOS or some such. I'd buy it, and the phone, right now, with such an apps availability (including migration and sync method)
    PalmPilot > Pilot Pro > PalmIII > PalmV > m500 > m505 > KyoceraPalmPhone > Treo650 > Centro > ?pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's either the smartest dumbphone I've ever seen or the dumbest smartphone.
    Brilliant summation
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Which is odd when you consider how well PalmOS phones met the needs of those buyers and disappointing for those PalmOS users now on a dead platform with no where to go right now (particualrly if a decent email client is also a requirement).
    I'm beginning be believe that the limitations of the WebOS PIM applications is due to the limitations to Google's PIM applications. This because WebOS is tied at the hip to Google's applications which is bad.
    Possible, but I hope not. Because that's unlikely to get fully fixed, in which case that is NOT good long term.
    PalmPilot > Pilot Pro > PalmIII > PalmV > m500 > m505 > KyoceraPalmPhone > Treo650 > Centro > ?pre?
    I returned mine yesterday. I have a Trio 755p and it's setup so well with all my business apps which didn't port over to Pre.

But the no brainer to return it was that even though I don't get great reception with my Trio (tough area in hills) at least it didn't drop every call. The Pre for some reason just didn't perform it's main function very well, it was dropping my customers calls all the time. I would like to hear the explanation for that. Everything else is cool.

After the software developers get there hands on it I'm sure they will have a powerful platform to do some very cool stuff. I'll probably buy it later after it's matured a bit.
    well I did the transfer twice to the Pre and I had no custom field info. I'm sure I could've done a workaround through chapura or companion link, but it just didn't seem worth the effort after seeing the other PIM issues. I'm typing this on a treo pro, so we'll see how that goes. can always go back to my centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogpre View Post
    @crogs571

Wait, I was freaking out over pretty much losing the memo app.
    Are you saying all the custom fields in Palm OS Contacts are lost too?

Unacceptable. I have hundreds of account numbers, part numbers etc in those fields. Hundreds and hundreds. Probably in the (low) thousands. Ugh, that is bad news.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagar View Post
    I returned mine yesterday. I have a Trio 755
    YOU'VE GOT A WHATTTTTT?!

A "Trio"?!?!

Un-for-GIV-able! Extend the plank, fellas!

a and it's setup so well with all my business apps which didn't port over to Pre.

But the no brainer to return it was that even though I don't get great reception with my Trio
    . . .

hagar, I'm going to have to ask you to slowwwwly, step AWAY from the Treo, turn in your stylus, and prepare to meet Davy Jones, himself.

(tough area in hills) at least it didn't drop every call. The Pre for some reason just didn't perform it's main function very well, it was dropping my customers calls all the time. I would like to hear the explanation for that. Everything else is cool.

After the software developers get there hands on it I'm sure they will have a powerful platform to do some very cool stuff. I'll probably buy it later after it's matured a bit.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    i'm officially on my Treo Pro. Have the return label for my Pre. I still have my centro as a last resort if I don't like the Pro. Haven't used winmo since it was winCE.And that was a NEC Travelpro or something. Will sync my Centro to Outlook tonight and go from there. Should be interesting. I'd revisit the Pre if they decide to de-apple-ize it. though with Rubes in charge, that might never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    What crashes and has distortion?
    Ah....I guess I'm the only one that read about the distortion and yellowing in the screen?

Cracked screens?.....wow...can I get one.

I have dropped my 755p about 300 times and all it has are scuffs. If I have to worry about putting it in my pocket??????.....Forget it!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccizzy View Post
    Ah....I guess I'm the only one that read about the distortion and yellowing in the screen?

Cracked screens?.....wow...can I get one.

I have dropped my 755p about 300 times and all it has are scuffs. If I have to worry about putting it in my pocket??????.....Forget it!
    How many posts have you heard about cracked screens or distortion? Keep in mind that many people don't come to forums until they have a problem so if you're gauging whether or not to buy one based on a few unhappy posts then you're going to get a distorted view (pun intended).
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i don't have the luxury of putting my business in chaos for the next ~30 days. i need a reliable, efficient, productive, intuitive business tool that just works. for fanboys that don't do any real business work, the Pre may be fine. but many of us don't have that luxury.
    Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

Is it your stated purpose on here to discourage people from buying the Pre? Are you a scorned lover? What's the deal?
    Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

Is it your stated purpose on here to discourage people from buying the Pre? Are you a scorned lover? What's the deal?
    no my purpose is to provide my real world user experience to those considering the purchase in order so that they can make an informed decision and possibly save them some pain. isn't that the purpose of these forums, fanboy?
    Dude lists reasonable, real-world concerns and the response is to say he's got a case of the Monday's.

Silly.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Dude lists reasonable, real-world concerns and the response is to say he's got a case of the Monday's.

Silly.
    Every post I've read from this guy is negative. Even people who have awful experiences have a few good ones sprinkled in, don't they? I just don't buy it. But then, I've posted a couple of positive things so I'm just a fanboy.
    Every post I've read from this guy is negative. Even people who have awful experiences have a few good ones sprinkled in, don't they? I just don't buy it. But then, I've posted a couple of positive things so I'm just a fanboy.
    I'm not going to speak to Gekko's character or yours, at the moment. What I will say is that the Pre has been a lonnnnnnng time a-comin'.

We've been waiting six months since the announcement (maybe it's technically five months?) and a good two years or so before that for "Nova" to appear. With all that build-up, all that hype, all that anticipation, and all those missteps during the wait, there are going to be plenty of people who are highly invested in the Pre - emotionally or otherwise.

They may try it and decide it's not for them, but that doesn't mean they're going to go away, right away, if at all. They serve a purpose to themselves and for some other forum members. They can, anyway. Of course, it does matter how one goes about it.

So, I guess I'm just trying to illustrate how and why someone might feel strongly compelled to continue frequenting (i.e. reading and posting on) these forums despite being disappointed with the Pre. Again, how they ought to go about that is debatable, but that's another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

Silly.
    Actually, what Gekko said was silly: "i need a reliable, efficient, productive, intuitive business tool that just works. for fanboys that don't do any real business work, the Pre may be fine. but many of us don't have that luxury."

It may not work for HIM, but for ME, so far the Pre is a "reliable, efficient, productive, intuitive business tool that just works." I'm a trial lawyer running my own law firm, using the Pre all day at work. It's "real business work".

Saying it doesn't work for you is one thing. Saying it doesn't work for "any real business work" is just ludicrous.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    Actually, what Gekko said was silly: "i need a reliable, efficient, productive, intuitive business tool that just works. for fanboys that don't do any real business work, the Pre may be fine. but many of us don't have that luxury."

It may not work for HIM, but for ME, so far the Pre is a "reliable, efficient, productive, intuitive business tool that just works." I'm a trial lawyer running my own law firm, using the Pre all day at work. It's "real business work".

Saying it doesn't work for you is one thing. Saying it doesn't work for "any real business work" is just ludicrous.
    I completely agree. I run a small business and use this for my business. email, text, web browsing, and document viewing.

Gekko, is the silly old coot no one listens to anymore.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    west3man,

I appreciate your response and I do agree with you. I don't disparage anyone for posting their own experiences--positive or negative. And I can certainly understand emotionally driven posts by someone who may feel a bit burned. I've done so myself in the past (even about Palm products, despite evidently being such a Palm "fanboy").

What I don't get is the constant negative drumbeat without even the slightest attempt at objectivity. I mean, really, if the phone was as bad as all that then wouldn't we see a stampede of people back to Sprint stores returning their phones? And wouldn't we see blog postings about how bad it is, rather than the contrary?

Negative views do help the conversation but, in my opinion, only posting ONLY negative views, and posting them often, is not helpful at all to the people who are just trying to enjoy their Pre and make it work for them. It's just noise... kind of like spam.
    and nowhere in your statement did you talk about PIM functionality. The people that are expressing negative views are people that have issue with the dumbed down PIM functionality compared to PalmOS. You also mentioned web browsing. Didn't say anything about trying to download from the web.

Outside of my design issues, I enjoyed "playing" with the Pre for a day. I couldn't do any real work on it because I hadn't yet done the info migration. I rather enjoyed playing around with the OS. Surfing the web, listening to Pandora, sending texts, emailing, and such. When I got home and was able to migrate my info over, I realized how much info that wouldn't take. And the absence of certain info would make it difficult to manage my contacts, calendar and memos. People coming from dumbphones, the iphone or other lesser phones with simpler PIMS will be fine. People that don't utilize all the PIM functionality won't notice. Long time Palm users who rely on the PIM functionality have been and will be disappointed. Just because you think Gekko is an old coot, doesn't mean he's not right.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    I completely agree. I run a small business and use this for my business. email, text, web browsing, and document viewing.

Gekko, is the silly old coot no one listens to anymore.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.