Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckywildcats View Post
    How is there even an argument that the centro is better than the pre? You are talking about a cheap PalmOS phone vs. a exponentially more advanced pre. Seriously if you think that the centro is better, then the pre was never meant to be for you.
    How can an sentient adult question those who question the Pre being wrong (so far) for _their_ purposes?

Centro has.
    Better search
    Better battery life
    Better memory expansion
    More data backup options (3rd party, palmdesktop, microSD)
    Better messaging (Forwarding and attachements)
    Better tasks mgmt (recurring and categories and search)
    Better memo app (categories and search)
    Legacy Data from Memo
    Tethering
    Hundreds of more apps (for now)

If you can't understand how that might make Centro better for some,
    you're, charitably, just not very objective.

Sure, Pre has synergy (kinda cool, but doesn't seem done) and a worlds better browser, but it's missing most of that which makes a smart phone smart. It is a browser and media player, but not a real pda/pim yet.
    Those features are about as advanced as what you find on pretty low
    end phones.

I'm hoping much of it gets fixed, as I'd like to join in on the browser and synergy and slick display fun.
    Just returned mine today and am back to my Treo 650. I might pick up a 755p on eBay but I'm so much happier with my trusty Treo. The keyboard, calendar, contacts, speed, one-handed abilities... plus I saved myself the $320 it cost to buy the thing. Maybe when it's ready instead of a Pre-release version (Pun intended) will I return, but I doubt it.
    While some of these complaints are perfectly valid, it makes me wonder if anyone ranting has ever been an early adopter before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryn View Post
    While some of these complaints are perfectly valid, it makes me wonder if anyone ranting has ever been an early adopter before.
    I was a early adopter of the original iPhone and iPhone 3G. The issues weren't as bad as the Pre.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I am on the fence right now. The issues I have is that you cannot turn down the volume on the keypad without turning down the sound when you get a text. My email alert has stopped so i do not know when I get an email. I also am not getting the best signal in my house. My 3 year old Katana got better reception.
    yes i've paid to be an early adopter before but never to be a beta tester.
    Really? I'd have sworn you said you had a 700p.
    Being a "first gen" devise is no excuse for the Pre. It's made by Palm, who has been making smartphones for years. It's like saying every new BB is a first gen device.

There are basic PIM things that I could do on my Palm III that I can't do on the Pre. It's ridiculous.

For all the money I spent on the Pre it should be much better or they shouldn't have released it. I think most of the die-hard Palm fans will abandon the Pre for now and Palm in the long run after this, and those are the users they would have needed to have a chance against the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Really? I'd have sworn you said you had a 700p.
    yes i did have a 700p. never had any problems with it and considered it a big upgrade over the 650 (EVDO, etc.).

the T5 and LifeDrive were disasters. the T5 i bought at launch and returned it shortly thereafter. the LifeDrive i never bought but from what i read it was no good.

my history -

III-IIIx-V-m505-m515-T-T3-T5-T3-600-650-700p-Centro-Pre-Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by monaco1931 View Post
    ... so if you bought the pre in these past few days as a contract renewal and return it within the 30 day period to go back to your old phone, is the new contract null and void too? Does your contract go back to your status quo that was june 4 or are we locked in again for another stint?

I would hope the new contract wouldnt stand since youre returning their phone but didnt know for sure and couldnt find a correct answer on this...
    Yes, this is the case with me. I returned it today and the customer service people said my contract would revert to its previous status within 30 days, and if I wanted to buy a new phone with upgrade pricing, I should call telesales and they can override the time delay.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Guys just let these people leave. At least then they won't be hear to *****. Most people can't handle change.The ones of us that see the possibilities are techies and know how things will progress. The people on here complaining are the general population that have no idea of how technology evolves. Most probably just heard about the phone and decided to jump on the bandwagon without thinking out the decision. The ones of us that have been diligent in our research, knew exactly what we were buying. They believe it should have been born perfect. Give it a few months of development and guess what they will jump back on the Pre and act as if they never left.
    I'm torn. I've been an early adopter every time and have the grey hairs to show for it. That said, the expectations were higher that functionality would move forward on all fronts and it's clearly moved backward in some. Also, some of the bugs are core to the claimed functionality (SSL Certificates).

As smartphones have become mission critical devices, downtime on core features is simply unacceptable. iPhone was marketed as more of a media device, so some of the syncing/organization aspects were less important.

I do think this v1 is worse than any I've seen for Palm, including the original Palm.

All that said, most of the true functionality bugs will probably be worked out this week or next. Most of the "lost" features either were intentional or will be fertile ground for 3rd parties. I didn't use any of the native apps in my Centro except Hotsync. I don't expect it will be any different on the Pre.

If the hardware holds up, I think they will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    If this is truly the case, then you should not be an early adopter of ANY piece of technology. The Pre is only one small spec of a large sea of devices and applications that all contain bugs and problems at release. Hell, even new cars contain flaws the first year of release. This is common knowledge. Don't blame the Pre or Palm for having bugs and problems at release. You own a business, you should know better.
    The Pre was supposed to be a modernization and revitalization of the Palms of yore. Instead, it bears little resemblance to anything having to do with Palm, and fails to meet the expectations of Palm's (former) core client base.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    The Pre was supposed to be a modernization and revitalization of the Palms of yore. Instead, it bears little resemblance to anything having to do with Palm, and fails to meet the expectations of Palm's (former) core client base.
    it's a rushed busted half baked wannabe "me too" iphone beta with a physical keyboard. that's all it is.
    Guys just let these people leave. At least then they won't be hear to *****. Most people can't handle change.The ones of us that see the possibilities are techies and know how things will progress. The people on here complaining are the general population
    Not at all true. Some of us are developers and engineers, who just want a tool that doesn't drop the ball on stuff our 12 year old Palms could do (WE, were the early adopters) On the old PalmOS devices, ones that weren't horribly hacked anyway, there was good functionality, instant one button access, portability of data, and good basic PIM ability. A 10-15 year step back in PIM ability is not a minor bug. It is closer to an epic fail, though I'll try to mostly stick to facts rather than hyperbole.

PalmPilot>Pro>III>V>m505>KyoceraPalmPhone>600>650>Centro>....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    it's a rushed busted half baked wannabe "me too" iphone beta with a physical keyboard. that's all it is.
    hahaha that's so true. Too many products end of being a jack of all trades, and a master of none. Treos are EXCELLENT PIMs and didn't pretend to be media centric. iPhones are pretty good media players and it doesn't purport itself to be primarily a PIM.
    So you don't have your Pre anymore? Then why not mosey on over the Treo forum and leave this one. Why stick around?
    That's the problem. I would work around the feature shortcomings and bugs if hardware itself was solid, but between the build issues and the horrible battery life, I just don't think it is worth the patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili View Post
    Now it has just become that much more dangerous because the Pre really requires your full attention to do anything one handed with the keyboard open without dropping the thing.

This sucks.. i really looked forward to this phone.
    Stop being so melodramatic.

And it is true, he is extremely dangerous on the roads, I have seen it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayman34 View Post
    I think you belong in a padded room! Did you parents every give you a hug?
    Hugs are for girls and sissies!