Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

Palm was the leader for managing your PIM data (calendar, contacts, tasks) and many people today still use Palm devices that are not phone-enabled just for these functions. Given that PIM was a strong suit of the Palm branding, I am quite surprised with some of the limiting functionality in the integrated PIM apps found on the Pre in WebOS. Palm has had quite some time to optimize their own integrated PIM suite and left out several parts that current Palm OS owners have come to rely on.

Calendar: IMHO, the Calendar application on the Pre is one of the weakest aspects of the device and I am very disappointed with it.

There are daily, week, and month views in the Calendar, but no Agenda view that shows you just your appointments for the next few days like we see on many devices. The week and month views are also basically useless in that neither actually shows you any details and just shows bars if something is scheduled. You have to always go into the daily view to see what is going on for that day. I would like to see a tap and hold, tap, or small preview window to at least show the appointment name and time (again like what we see on other mobile devices).

Palm Pre Calendar application is weak | Smartphones and Cell Phones | ZDNet.com
    I think you belong in a padded room! Did you parents every give you a hug?
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    I am majorly bummed that there is no agenda view.
    of course. but fanboys don't have a lot on their calendars so why would they care?
    Quote Originally Posted by karma3kb View Post
    I couldn't have said it better!
    I could. For some users, the Pre isn't a toy or a sport or even a tool used exclusively for their personal lives. For some, it was being used as a business tool, but they couldn't wait 30 days in case Palm addressed all the issues in that time. Some may reconsider the Pre if and when that time comes.

It's really nothing to criticize them about. That said, I do agree that there are others who haven't given the Pre a chance. They've even gotten clearly defective units but, instead of taking them back as such, they respond as if the device was designed to, say, throw sparks all day. Luckily, they've got a forum full of helpful people to give them a hand.

Palm was the leader for managing your PIM data (calendar, contacts, tasks) and many people today still use Palm devices that are not phone-enabled just for these functions. Given that PIM was a strong suit of the Palm branding, I am quite surprised with some of the limiting functionality in the integrated PIM apps found on the Pre in WebOS. Palm has had quite some time to optimize their own integrated PIM suite and left out several parts that current Palm OS owners have come to rely on.

Calendar: IMHO, the Calendar application on the Pre is one of the weakest aspects of the device and I am very disappointed with it.

There are daily, week, and month views in the Calendar, but no Agenda view that shows you just your appointments for the next few days like we see on many devices. The week and month views are also basically useless in that neither actually shows you any details and just shows bars if something is scheduled. You have to always go into the daily view to see what is going on for that day. I would like to see a tap and hold, tap, or small preview window to at least show the appointment name and time (again like what we see on other mobile devices).

Palm Pre Calendar application is weak | Smartphones and Cell Phones | ZDNet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayman34 View Post
    I think you belong in a padded room! Did you parents every give you a hug?
    Actually, based on what I have read (haven't got a Pre), many ex-PalmOS Pre owners would agree with Gekko on this one.
    Last edited by johncc; 06/10/2009 at 08:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I could. For some users, the Pre isn't a toy or a sport or even a tool used exclusively for their personal lives. For some, it was being used as a business tool, but they couldn't wait 30 days in case Palm addressed all the issues in that time. Some may reconsider the Pre if and when that time comes.

It's really nothing to criticize them about. That said, I do agree that there are others who haven't given the Pre a chance. They've even gotten clearly defective units but, instead of taking them back as such, they respond as if the device was designed to, say, throw sparks all day. Luckily, they've got a forum full of helpful people to give them a hand.
    i don't have the luxury of putting my business in chaos for the next ~30 days. i need a reliable, efficient, productive, intuitive business tool that just works. for fanboys that don't do any real business work, the Pre may be fine. but many of us don't have that luxury.
    The Pre calendar is a step backwards, IMO. Not being searchable and no agenda view is a big miss, although I'm sure that will be fixed soon if they want this to succeed.
    i don't have the luxury of putting my business in chaos for the next ~30 days. i need a reliable, efficient, productive, intuitive business tool that just works. for fanboys that don't do any real business work, the Pre may be fine. but many of us don't have that luxury.
    Yes. You would be one of the business users to whom I was referring.

Did you think I was disagreeing with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    The Pre calendar is a step backwards, IMO. Not being searchable and no agenda view is a big miss, although I'm sure that will be fixed soon if they want this to succeed.
    anyone know how it compares with iphone? did Ruby just copy the iphone Contacts and Calendar? or is iphone better? worse?
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Yes. You would be one of the business users to whom I was referring.

Did you think I was disagreeing with you?
    no i was simply expanding on your point.
    If this is truly the case, then you should not be an early adopter of ANY piece of technology. The Pre is only one small spec of a large sea of devices and applications that all contain bugs and problems at release. Hell, even new cars contain flaws the first year of release. This is common knowledge. Don't blame the Pre or Palm for having bugs and problems at release. You own a business, you should know better.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Agreed... frankly I am baffled as to why Palm did not do so. An over site? I find that hard to believe. A technological hurdle? Again, hard to believe.

For me the disappointment of the Pre isnt one particular item, but a sum of little things missing i.e. agenda view, automatic profiles etc etc that when added up gives one pause.

Palm would do themselves to buy a S60 Symbian phone... IMO S60 phones do a lot of the "little things" that make phones "smart".
    my issues -

1. Sound Quality of Phone - Awful hissing and humming in background.
    2. i like the Contacts, Calendar PIMs of the old PalmOS. it just works. the webOS PIMs aren't as clean, simple, intuitive, and easy as PalmOS.
    3. keyboard - while the keyboard isn't smaller than Centro, it is more uncomfortable to use. why? the end of the keyboard is sharp and it slices at my hand sometimes when i try to type. the sides are sharp too. also, the whole keyboard piece (that bottom of the phone) is thin and hard to hold vs. a candy bar. and the device is not balance properly when open. i always feel like i need two hands to use it. unwieldy and flimsy.
    4. slider - i'm tired of opening an closing it to get at the keyboard.
    5. responsiveness consistency unpredictability of WebOS - it didn't always do what i wanted it to do. i'd press a button and sometimes it would respond and other times not. Centro PalmOS might be simple but it JUST WORKED. WebOS has a mind of its own. OS gets shaky and chuggy and wobbly and it scares me holding my data. it was also unpredictable - many times doing a different thing for the same action.
    6. battery life sucked. abysmal. all of this pushing and pulling and synergizing has a price.
    7. multitasking - what multitasking? saving and icon to be brought up later is not multitasking! on my old Centro i can listen to STREAMING RADIO like Pockettunes while i surf the web or do email. i can't stream Sprint TV/Radio and do something else on the Pre. havent tried Pandora but i want live radio stations! and i opened up like 5 basic cards (3 were PIM) and it made me shut them down WTF? jumping back and forth from card to card with a hefty elay is not fun multitasking for me.
    8. WindowsMedia Streaming - i like bloomberg radio etc. - can't stream it on PRE! Centro had no problem with WMA streams!
    9. Synergy - i don't like it. i want a CENTRALIZED MERGED location for my data and the ability to move it whereever i want. with Pre/WebOS - in EAS my data is trapped in that EAS work server account. if i leave my employer, i better TRY to back up the Outlook data from the Outlook side in the nick of time. because once i'm disconnected from that server - the data is trapped in the PRE and no way to get it out. i don't like this. with Centro, all i have to do is change the EAS settings to a new server and sync and i'm good to go. can't do that with PRE. it puts my data in a locked proprietary silo that i can't get at.
    10. Google Calendar/Contacts - suck.
    11. Lack of SD Card - sucks. i want to Auto Backup my data to SD.
    12. flimsy/clumsy USB door - yeah i can use touchstone to charge it but what about in the car?
    13. No 5 Way - i miss that easy simple navigation. poking around with my finger is inaccurate and clumsy.
    14. No "Select All" in Copy/Cut/Paste. sorry that Orange/Shift Key dance doesn't cut it.
    15. Gesture area - annoying. holding the device i hit it all the time and do stuff and launch stuff i dont want to.
    16. intermittent charging failure is a problem. i can't have a device that sometimes wants to charge and sometimes doesn't. not sure if this is a software or hardware bug but i'm tired of trying to track it down. my phone is my lifeline and i cant have a phone that sometimes wants to charge and sometimes doesn't.
    17. Browser - seems great at first but the font is so small - in tired of constantly pinching and squeezing.

there's probably a few more that i can think of and will add later.

i've used PalmOS devices for 10+ years - III, IIIx, V, m505, m515, T, T3, 600, 650, 700p, Centro and i REALLY wanted to like this phone but i can't. i never used an iphone so i can't compare. but it pains me to write this and it pains me to return this phone. it also pains my wallet because i gave my perfectly good Centro to my sister on Saturday so i have to buy a brand new Centro. it will only be $50 after rebate but it's the principle. at least my sister has a nice phone she likes.

there are some great things about the Pre - the beautiful display is nice. and the GMAIL IMAP PUSH instant email is nice too. but i can't find much more.

this has been a good experience although a little painful. the positives are it forced me to clean up my PIM data and move to GMAIL for personal email - something i've been putting off forever. and i had the thrill of a new device - which faded too soon.

lessons learned -

1. always do a "Frozen in Time" Last Backup of your old device in its format before you migrate to the new device. On SD Card or USB Drive if you can. you need the time machine to get back if there's trouble in the future.
    2. always keep your old device and accessories for a minimum of 2 weeks before you sell or give them away. even if you THINK you love the new device at first.
    3. be skeptical of 1.0 generation devices. don't believe the hype.

i hope all of you that bought the PRE do really enjoy it. this is obviously just my personal opinion. so i go get another Centro and put alll of my data back on it so all will be right again in my world. i've said this before but PalmOS is like an old shoe. it's not the flashiest thing, but it sure is comfortable and worn in and just feels good. my only concern is - where do i go when PalmOS is EOL?

10am can't come quick enough!

best wishes and good luck to all!
    SPOT ON!!! Gekko, I wish I could buy you some dinner, or drinks, or what have you... This was precisely my experience. I returned the Pre after 4 hours of owning it (translation, 4 hours of grief).

thanks! glad to hear I'm not alone w/ the experience...

this should be reposted and retweeted...
    anyone know how it compares with iphone? did Ruby just copy the iphone Contacts and Calendar? or is iphone better? worse?
    I am sure others will chime in - I had an iPhone in February (lasted a week because of the poor ATT service I had) and as I remember it, Exchange is pretty much the same and thus your PIM stuff is the same too.

As I am reading all of this - lot of the same type complaints/needs as the iPhone and Storm did with business centric customers.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    If this is truly the case, then you should not be an early adopter of ANY piece of technology. The Pre is only one small spec of a large sea of devices and applications that all contain bugs and problems at release. Hell, even new cars contain flaws the first year of release. This is common knowledge. Don't blame the Pre or Palm for having bugs and problems at release. You own a business, you should know better.
    agreed and lesson learned. i made the mistake of thinking this was like when i upgraded through each and all of the Palms i had since 1999. i made the mistake of believing and buying into the hype that "this was the iphone for business users". i made the mistake of believing the company who MASTERED Core PIM Applications would not totally abandon that legacy. i made the mistake of believing that Palm had no choice to get it right. I WAS WRONG. i should have known better or at least waited for REAL WORLD BUSINESS HEAVY PIM USER reviews before i bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Actually, if you had followed this forum over the past five months or so you would get the impression that Palm would get it right right out of the box because they had to. Because Palm knows how to do organizers. Because that's all they do. Because they are great at hardware. The reality is that Palm has never been that great at hardware and a good smartphone OS is pretty damn complicated.

Now if you read this forum, you will get the impression that a lot of things are going to get updated/fixed within weeks and that there are thousands of apps in the pipeline. I think the reality is more like a year or two.
    Maybe we now know why Sprint make the infamous "the Pre is not for IT-centric customers" brochure. It does what I need to do but I can certainly understand others concerns as I certainly expected more, as you stated.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    gekko, you have been an enthusiastic member so far, think of this way ,
    no phone is ever gonna solve all issues.
    this was not what was pitched to me. it was pitched to me as the holy grail iphone killer which would address the functionality required from a modern user in 2009. it fell way, way short of that on release day.
    agreed and lesson learned. i made the mistake of thinking this was like when i upgraded through each and all of the Palms i had since 1999. i made the mistake of believing and buying into the hype that "this was the iphone for business users". i made the mistake of believing the company who MASTERED Core PIM Applications would not totally abandon that legacy. i made the mistake of believing that Palm had no choice to get it right. I WAS WRONG. i should have known better or at least waited for REAL WORLD BUSINESS HEAVY PIM USER reviews before i bought it.
    Hey, the first step is admitting it. Now, if you could just stop trolling the forums so I can read other topics in peace that would be good

Honestly, just because the Pre didn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. All problems and bugs aside I am enjoying my experience with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili View Post
    I will challenge anyone to beat me on my Centro in a speed test with a pre on regular day to day activities with one hand while running around in an airport or while driving down the highway which includes copy and pasting with one thumb.
    you guys make me happy!

@wahili I accept your challenge... This is a great challenge and I'm confident I can win! but I'm going to use my 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I am sure others will chime in - I had an iPhone in February (lasted a week because of the poor ATT service I had) and as I remember it, Exchange is pretty much the same and thus your PIM stuff is the same too.

As I am reading all of this - lot of the same type complaints/needs as the iPhone and Storm did with business centric customers.
    but the salt in the wound stings that much more for long time PalmOS users. because this is the company that we knew and loved for 10+ years setting the standard for PIM and Contacts and Calendar management. and they threw 10+ years of history and what made them successful right out of the window. i don't expect great PIM from Apple or BB - i expected it from Palm.

and i'm not saying live in the past. clearly Palm had to make some changes - but Colligan should have said - "change whatever you want, but do not materially F with the basic core functionality/beauty/simplicity/zen/efficiency/productivity of the PIMs!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    Hey, the first step is admitting it. Now, if you could just stop trolling the forums so I can read other topics in peace that would be good

Honestly, just because the Pre didn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. All problems and bugs aside I am enjoying my experience with the Pre.
    why are you in the Official 'I'm returning my Pre!' [Because] thread then?