Page 16 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    mine has alot of static on calls... not happy at all.
    Keeping it - no way I could go back to the 755 now. I was carrying
    both today, the 755 felt like a frickin' brick!

For it's shortcomings, the Pre is elegant and it does most of what I need now so I can have the patience needed while updates and additional features/3rd party apps. come on line.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    I dont get why people wont hold out for the 30 days instead of waiting 4 days and giving up. Those are the kind of people who you never want playing on your sports team, soon as you give up a run/goal/touchdown they give up and cry.
    I couldn't have said it better!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    This one is a tough one for me. My Pre crashes many times when either the slider is closed, or it's jostled too much. The bluetooth connectivity just sucks. It's the first phone I've had that has issues with my car (2008 Infiniti EX) and it will randomly drop the bluetooth connection. I think this only happens when the battery is running low, but I'm not sure. Also, signal strength sucks. I checked Sprint's coverage map before I got the Pre and either their coverage maps are wrong, or there is an issue with the Pre. Finally, I have my concerns about Sprint customer support. Don't get me wrong, I've called them to activate and to find out about getting a replacement phone and both times the tech has been very friendly and helpfull. However, it seems like representatives at the store level are not allowed to provide much assistance, you have to go through Sprint customer support. I was even told that if my store can not get me a replacement before my 30 days are up, I would need to go through Sprint customer service because the store reps would be blocked by the software from doing a direct exchange.

In short, my experience with the Pre has not been good. I have had a early release iPhone (both 2G and 3G), a Blackberry Storm, a G1 and the Pre has the most hardware issues I've ever seen in a device.

With all that negative, I'm still giving it the full 30 days. My bluetooth and signal issues are not unique to me and I'm pretty certain that there will be a firmware update that will address both. Also, as long as Palm replenishes stock in a reasonable timeframe, I should be able to get a replacement phone within my 30 day window.

If I can get a replacement phone in 30 days, I'm taking a chance and keeping the Pre. The potential of the webOS has me sold and, if I can get the coverage I'm supposed to get from Sprint, the everything plan from Sprint also has me sold.

That being said, Sprint is competing directly with the iPhone 3G/3S. It's easy, and valid, to excuse the Pre's shortcomings because it is a 1.0 device, but it comes down to a choice between a phone with a mature, stable (both software and hardware) platform, and a phone that has the potential of very poor build quality and an os that has enormous potential, but is not yet a stable product. The sucess of the Pre depends upon how quickly Palm can resolve the build issues and fix the bugs in webOS
    If I don't return it I will at least have to exchange it to get rid of dead pixels. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go back to At&t and just wait for them to get the Pre. Maybe the software will have a few updates by then. Not sure what phone I'm gonna use in the mean time, iPhone 3G S isn't looking too bad, though I haven't even sold my 3G yet.
    I'm keeping mine personally. The multi-tasking has me sold over the iPhone. Just need more apps! And the fact it has a keyboard is also awesome about it. Best phone on Sprint too since I'm never switching to ATT ever again.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Not I.. Pre rocks...
    My phone had serial # 5D9... and it just went back to the store! So bummed! My display screen kept dying, i.e. blacking out completely. The on/off button wouldn't help either. I would have to just wait and hope it turns itself back on and it did... Expect today, it died completely. I could hear the phone noises still (when calls coming in, when putting on my touchstone, etc), but the screen was black! It REALLY ticks me off cause now i've been placed on a waitlist and i'm back to my old phone while waiting. I'm giving the pre a 2nd chance, but it better work seamlessly or it's going back... The iphone is coming at the end of the month, and i'll get that instead if the pre keeps failing me! But i'm really hoping the second one will work...
    Ugh!!!! What a predicament!
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Keeping it for sure. I am the owner of two businesses and am a tech junkie. This phone is the best thing out there. I have owned the following smart phones and none can compare to what the Pre is or will be.

iphone 3g
    Touch Pro
    Storm
    Bold
    Curve
    Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    Keeping it for sure. I am the owner of two businesses and am a tech junkie. This phone is the best thing out there. I have owned the following smart phones and none can compare to what the Pre is or will be.

iphone 3g
    Touch Pro
    Storm
    Bold
    Curve
    Treo 650
    That must have been difficult with them being on different providers.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    It's a perfectly legitimate post. I've become pretty frustrated with my Pre as well, with all of the quirks, missing basic features, and added "features" that do nothing but drain the battery or make the phone harder to use. I along with several others obviously have thought about going back to their old phone (or even the dreaded competitor's product).

Nothing wrong with venting and simultaneously warning people what to look out for. Not everyone will be happy with the product, it's natural. Sometimes you may even get help with what you thought was an unfixable problem...can't remember all the posts I've seen where people thought they bricked their Pre, but were just informed they just needed to take the battery out by fellow posters.

Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    Why do people insist on posting these stories? They aren't looking for a second opinion... just complaining.
    Palm Pre owner...for now, at least. :-p
    i just pre-ordered the Iphone 3GS 32gb. I have a Treo 755 now, and tried the Pre for a couple days. i liked it quite a bit, but .... just too many small things that just did not work well. I cannot pinpoint one thing. I was waiting in anticipation for the Pre, but after a couple days, I was not 100% pleased. Sorry Palm.. I am switching.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    That must have been difficult with them being on different providers.
    I am a tech junkie, just pay the ETF when needed.
    It's really hard for me to decide. There are lots of things I love about the Pre, but just as many things that I loathe
    Quote Originally Posted by leadbyxampl View Post
    i just pre-ordered the Iphone 3GS 32gb. I have a Treo 755 now, and tried the Pre for a couple days. i liked it quite a bit, but .... just too many small things that just did not work well. I cannot pinpoint one thing. I was waiting in anticipation for the Pre, but after a couple days, I was not 100% pleased. Sorry Palm.. I am switching.
    I want the space of the iPhone but I've spent way too much of my time dealing with reliability issues personally. The Pre has been smooth sailing for me and FOR ONCE, I can just do the things I need to get done, not troubleshoot my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    I am a tech junkie, just pay the ETF when needed.
    I know what you mean. I've done the same many times. I've had every major wireless carrier in the last 18 months.
    ... so if you bought the pre in these past few days as a contract renewal and return it within the 30 day period to go back to your old phone, is the new contract null and void too? Does your contract go back to your status quo that was june 4 or are we locked in again for another stint?

I would hope the new contract wouldnt stand since youre returning their phone but didnt know for sure and couldnt find a correct answer on this...

Palm was the leader for managing your PIM data (calendar, contacts, tasks) and many people today still use Palm devices that are not phone-enabled just for these functions. Given that PIM was a strong suit of the Palm branding, I am quite surprised with some of the limiting functionality in the integrated PIM apps found on the Pre in WebOS. Palm has had quite some time to optimize their own integrated PIM suite and left out several parts that current Palm OS owners have come to rely on.

Calendar: IMHO, the Calendar application on the Pre is one of the weakest aspects of the device and I am very disappointed with it.

There are daily, week, and month views in the Calendar, but no Agenda view that shows you just your appointments for the next few days like we see on many devices. The week and month views are also basically useless in that neither actually shows you any details and just shows bars if something is scheduled. You have to always go into the daily view to see what is going on for that day. I would like to see a tap and hold, tap, or small preview window to at least show the appointment name and time (again like what we see on other mobile devices).

Palm Pre Calendar application is weak | Smartphones and Cell Phones | ZDNet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    There are daily, week, and month views in the Calendar, but no Agenda view that shows you just your appointments for the next few days like we see on many devices.
    I am majorly bummed that there is no agenda view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. how about when a thread gets moved a moderator notates it in the thread so i know who to PM and i don't have to address it in public like this?

2. why is a thread that lists my issues with the PRE - yes CLEARLY the PRE - moved to cross platform chat where virtually nobody researching the PRE will see it? maybe this thread could save someone else some PAIN. but no, it's moved where nobody will see it. makes no sense. i didn't spend my time writing this honest, detailed review for it to be moved into oblivion.

come on, guys. what's going on here????????? i sense an agenda OR a caving in to fanboy pressure. i want a good answer. PM me if you'd like.
    I certainly don't know for sure but maybe this thread's being moved or merged in this way was an accident. In the past week, there were multiple threads that a mod said were inexplicably merged. They were working on resolving the issue(s), last I read.