Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Like many, I started with the Palm OS and eventually settled with WM. During my Palm time I used 2 applications that have no equal in any of the other operating systems available: ChatterEmail and Datebook. If it were not for the need/convenience of multitasking, the Centro would be my device of choice.

I recently played with a Pre and yep it looks nice, feels nice, small, and so forth. However, this is just one device that is too new for me at this stage. The applications I routinely use are not there at this time; they are with both Palm and WM.
    Chatter and DateBk were the two reasons I never left the POS. However, I'm going to give it a go with the Pre because I believe the first generation issues will get worked out. So far I've been able to somewhat adjust but that's probably because I moved to Gmail a long time ago.

Regarding Classic, it's a good temporary solution to move away from legacy apps so it's not perfect. The DateBk developer is going to offer a version optimized for Classic but at additional cost. At this point, I'm not investing any more in POS.

EDIT: bclinger, congrats on your 5000th post!
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    conclusion - exchanged Pre for a new Centro this morning. did a restore of all of my data and i'm back in business. the Pre is just not for me. i'm a heavy PIM and email business user and i need rock solid PIM and email functionality. they left that out when they made the Pre.

Centro is basic but it gets the job done.

good luck and best wishes to all.
    Enjoy your new Centro.

I am sure you will come back once the next Pre2 comes out .

I loved my 800W , the way how I tinkered with everything from registry to VOIP applications , but a better browser on Pre made me buy it.
    I don't like how the Pre browser waits to render web pages until you scroll to them, like when scrolling in Google maps and then having to wait while the data loads. I also don't like that there is no "optimized" option like there is on my Treo. I wouldn't use it for every page, but it sure would be nice.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    If my phone acted up like yours, I'd probably just go out and buy a Treo Pro. I need a phone that is at least relatively reliable when I need it and so far the Pre has proven itself! Who knows though, maybe Sprint will rush ship you a new one if they can keep your 2 year signed
    Well I called today and they said they can't do exchanges over the phone that I would have to go into the store and I know they are not going to have any so why even try. He did have me re-program my phone but I really dbout that its going to make any change. I am starting to wonder if the high heat this thing produces with charging is the problem....
    Gekko

Once again i say enjoy the Centro Probally would have been good to give it a week or so as every day i am learnign to replace the features of my Centro with the PRE and Classic BUT if the Centro is the right phone for you then its the right phone. I still say the Centro was the best darn phone I ever had. ( I kept my Centro, it will always be my first good phone and next year i want my 9 year old son to get it as his first phone)If it had a great internet /Wifi / Better camera like the PRE I would never have left. its all about what makes a phone good for you AND what the features you need. I want 4 things from my phone . Voice/Text/Email , Internet, good camera , Wifi. the Pre has it BUT if that wasnt important then I would have stuck with my Centro. Best of luck Gekko!
    Quote Originally Posted by corsavan View Post
    Surely someone will port the Palm calender to webos?
    Again, I ask... Classic?

Does Classic not have the original POS pim apps?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovfriday View Post
    Well I called today and they said they can't do exchanges over the phone that I would have to go into the store and I know they are not going to have any so why even try. He did have me re-program my phone but I really dbout that its going to make any change. I am starting to wonder if the high heat this thing produces with charging is the problem....
    You seem to be shooting yourself in the foot - first left, then right. This time, you were told to go into the store to exchange, but you refuse because you assume there won't be any Pre's available. But maybe you're wrong. Or maybe a shipment is arriving right now... or tomorrow.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    I'm guessing most people who have been using palm for how many plus years do not remember what it was like when they first picked up palm device. I guarantee they were not as productive after the first 3 days of having it as they were after they have been using it 5 years. They were probably confused by things. The same will go with the pre.. They were trying to build something new not keep the old and comfortable.
    Its not just a question of what people are comfortable with. There's a lot of functionality missing from WebOS, particularly in the PIM area.
    did you get one crogs? how do you like it? how about the rest of you regulars?
    Since you asked,

I'll be sticking with mine. There are things I missed, but I believe they will come. I've got EAS working fine, and that replaces my need for sync. There are a lot of things that are really better, but you have to "untrain" yourself from the "old way".

Just as an example, in another thread, the discussion was about the phone app - the way it "should" work. Open the app, press and hold a speed dial number (that's what the user thought should happen). The way it works for me now is - press the speed dial number (which calls up the person's contact), and press the contact info bar that comes up. I don't bother running the phone app first.

There will be many other features like this. There are a lot of things that the Pre will "catch up" on, but I believe the foundation is sound, and good things are coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Tomorrow. Sticking with iphone 3G.
    Bye and good luck!
    this forum consists of a lot of recent BB and iphone and dumbphone converts. going from an iphone or BB or dumbphone to Pre/webOS is one thing. going from many years as a heavy PIM PalmOS user to Pre/webOS is quite another. the thing that put me over the edge was the Calendar - absolutely awful - i found myself lost and confused while trying to view and set appointments - it was painful, confusing, and i could not get a good visual glimpse of the present or the future.
    I know you're going to think I'm just giving you a hard time, but I don't understand this at all.

I haven't even read the manual for this thing. I went to Calendar, did the drop down menu and selected New Event. Put in the times and dates, selected No Repeat, and did a 30 minute reminder.

It did the accordian thing (I have a grandson's baseball game at 6:30, which was entered from Outlook Web Access), and worked perfectly.

By any chance, did you scramble around looking for your stylus first? (OK, that one was a jab...)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovfriday View Post
    I agree it just needs time to bake. I did get an IM from a user on here having the same issue as I, he has since returned his phone (waiting on more to be available)... I rightfully expect that they would have the phone functionality figured out from day one, for anyone to expect anything different shocks me....Several people here seem more than willing to beta test this product now that it's released, because I need to be available 24x7 I can't do that. I will come back and try again in a few months as I really do like the phone.
    Meaning no disrespect at all in this post, but you are (sadly) describing the way things work in the tech industry these days.

• The Storm? Buggy as hell when it came out. Many are still not worked out.
    • iPhone? Much more solid but still had many issues and lacked many features. To their credit, Apple responded fairly quickly. You can expect a patch to v3.0 shortly after it releases later this month to fix some previously undetected issue.
    • WinMo Devices? I've never had one that was rock solid as a first gen. Never. Most are stabilized now, but new ones will certainly have issues.

Bottom line: the way of the world is early adopters suffer the pain of glitches and bugs in return for the enjoyment they get from having that shiny new toy. Obviously this doesn't work for you, but it sounds to me like your expectations are not realistic specifically given the way things have been working for the past several years in the tech industry. As you say, given your needs, you should probably wait at least six months for any tech purchase or you are likely to face disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    Why do people insist on posting these stories? They aren't looking for a second opinion... just complaining.
    Because this is a discussion board, not a Pre fan board. Or is it, looking at how some of you bash anyone who doesn't absolutely love the Pre?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Again, I ask... Classic?

I imagine it does but it does not sync
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I bought mine on launch day knowing in advance it would be returned within 30 days, unless by some chance it totally blew away my iPhone 3G, which I figured was a long shot due to the investment I've already made in apps and the Apple ecosystem.

And don't get me wrong, there's a lot to love about the Pre, but in many ways it's the same problem as the original iPhone... for all the kick-*** stuff it can do, it leaves you wanting much, much more. (Although I do believe that in time, it will deliver on its promise, and I'm certainly ready to revisit it again in the future.)

That said, I'm having fun using it and being my first experience with Sprint has been overwhelmingly positive. My only lament with them is that it's not GSM service... my wife is from Ukraine and one or both of us travel there at least once a year to visit her family, meaning the Pre would (for now) stay at home anyway, since it would be mostly useless there. But, I knew that going in, and wanted to experience a first-generation phone with a first-generation OS anyway.

I wrote a fairly extensive list of pros & cons about the Pre on my blog, if anyone's bored and their head hasn't already burst from having too much Pre-formation as it is:

Part 1 (acquiring the Pre): Blogging Bookwalter» Blog Archive » iCaved: Palm Pre edition (Part 1)
    Part 2 (using the Pre): Blogging Bookwalter» Blog Archive » iCaved: Palm Pre edition (Part 2)

It's been interesting spending so much time on this site in recent weeks too, with all the anticipation leading up to the launch and the speculation about what it can or can't do, followed by the post-purchase highs & lows... totally mirrors the original iPhone experience, so it was a lot like reliving that again with a group of Palm fans.
    Keeping mine, there is nothing better out there.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    i really really wanted to like the phone..but the battery and sprints crappy service is making me return it today....im so disappointed
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthrust View Post
    and as a sidenote to Palm, when you put out a new phone, with a new OS, try including a real freaking owners manual. i havent spent this much time on the web trying to learn how to do crap since i stopped playing everquest.
    LOL! I couldn't believe that little pamphlet they put into the box was the only documentation. I kept looking around the couch and floor thinking that the user manual had fallen out somewhere but it hadn't. That pamphlet was it. I think the concept was that this phone was so easy to use that was the only documentation you needed.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    LOL! I couldn't believe that little pamphlet they put into the box was the only documentation. I kept looking around the couch and floor thinking that the user manual had fallen out somewhere but it hadn't. That pamphlet was it. I think the concept was that this phone was so easy to use that was the only documentation you needed.
    It saves them a ton of money to put everything on their website. I think they have a better manual on their site.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Again, I ask... Classic?

Using Classic is quite frustrating. It crashes quite often on me as there are a lot of apps it does not work with. The ones that do are even more frustrating to use because without a stylus you just keep clicking on the wrong things.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.