Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovfriday View Post
    I do however have some issues, the most critical one for me I hope is a bug... I have had an issue twice now where I go to bed and the phone is working, when I get up the next morning the phone still turns on but does not communicate with the cell network. The phone will show a full signal (it should as I live next to a sprint tower) but no EV logo and I can't make or receive calls; putting it into Airplane mode for a second will fix it. You can see a screen shot of the problem attached to this post. This is a major problem for me since I must be available 24x7 for job, part of being on call.
    Defective unit.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    this forum consists of a lot of recent BB and iphone and dumbphone converts. going from an iphone or BB or dumbphone to Pre/webOS is one thing. going from many years as a heavy PIM PalmOS user to Pre/webOS is quite another. the thing that put me over the edge was the Calendar - absolutely awful - i found myself lost and confused while trying to view and set appointments - it was painful, confusing, and i could not get a good visual glimpse of the present or the future.

Colligan should have said "ok let's do this thing but one thing you can not change is the core functionality and beauty of Contacts and Calendar. do anything else you want, but do not F with Contacts and Calendar." but my guess is Ruby the "Podfather" flew in like a white knight with Elevation's backing and ran roughshod over everybody - and they all deferred to him. and he made an iphone with a sliding keyboard. and everyone was afraid to tell the emperor he had no clothes.

i'd love to know what Hawkins and Haitani think of the Pre/WebOS.

BUT - hey maybe this thing will sell LOTS and i'm just not their target market. i hope they continue making cheap Centro phones with PalmOS/PIMs though because i don't think Palm will change webOS PIMs to the PalmOS ones.
    Your going to a Storm because of bugs on the Pre?
    You just said the Storm still locks up although it has gotten better. Uhm... how is that any better than what youre Pre is doing? If anything, it's a slightly defective unit, exchange it and give the new one a whirl before you go back to the Storm!
    You have 30 days since purchase. Might try getting it replaced first and then decide after 30 days are up. Sounds like a defective phone as no one else is having that issue.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    With only 8gb of space I was looking forward to bookmarking a bunch of pdf and video links for work to temporarily download on an as needed basis so I can maximize my memory for music and personal things. So far it seems like I won't be able to do that. But we'll see.
    For what it's worth, although you can't save directly from the web browser, clicking on a link to a pdf document in an email does open the pdf in the viewer, and you can save the pdf from the pdf viewer. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the same is true for office documents: if you have a link to an office document, email it to yourself, and it would probably open it in the doc viewer, and you may be able to save from there. I will test.

Update: it does not work for an https location, but it works for both pdfs and docs. However, it downloads the entire document in the background before opening a new card with the appropriate viewer. And it saves it automatically--no need to Save As again.

This might deserve a new tip thread!
    Last edited by jbg7474; 06/09/2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    What I want to know is, early adopters.. why do you buy the phone when it first launches if you're so anal about it working perfectly?

1st, is you had high hopes. Nothing ever wrong with that, but haven't you learned anything with cell phones over the past several years?

2nd, you need to be patient.. The term OTA comes to mind, and they will be released to fix problems.

3rd, why give up so early? You just got the damn thing several days ago.

I mean come on, hang in there, wait, patience.. it will pay off.
    I have to agree with NM08SRT8, too many times people complain that XYZ doesn't work on a BRAND NEW phone, with a BRAND NEW OS. Palm's watching this product closely, and I think they will use the feedback they are seeing to improve WebOS, while they continue to innovate it. If it's a deal breaker because it doesn't do X or Y for you, then maybe you shouldn't be an early adopter.
    The touchstone issue I'm guessing will be fixed in time. For now, I've just plugged it in at night so I can shut the screen off, no big deal.
    I am also a long time Palm OS user (more than 10 years) who moved from a Centro to the Pre. I agree than the PIM functions on the Pre are not great right now, but I will be looking to Palm and third party applications to improve the situation.

I do not want to go back to the Centro because I do not want to deal with Palm OS any longer. With no updating to Garnet in many years, Palm OS is a dying OS. If your application needs are frozen in time, I guess Garnet will continue to serve you well. But if you need new applications to respond to changing needs, I believe that you will not find them being developed for Palm OS.

In addition, I do not want to go back to the Centro because it lacks some features I want, such as WiFi and GPS.

I am loving my Pre, but I agree that it is not for everyone.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Go to your Phone app and then Preferences. Click on Update Network Settings. Then when finished click on Update PRL. See if that fixes your problem.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    I mean come on, hang in there, wait, patience.. it will pay off.
    I picture this phone being a whole lot more functional in 1-3 months and the best out there in 6-12 months
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i hope they continue making cheap Centro phones with PalmOS/PIMs though because i don't think Palm will change webOS PIMs to the PalmOS ones.
    Surely someone will port the Palm calender to webos? Stay positive. Don't give up in the first week! I did that with my pro because I was so used to blackberry. But got another Pro now and i really like it.

Anyway, you guys should be lucky you have this phone to play with. No official news for uk Pre! I think i will stick with my unlocked Pro for a while, however.
    I'm guessing most people who have been using palm for how many plus years do not remember what it was like when they first picked up palm device. I guarantee they were not as productive after the first 3 days of having it as they were after they have been using it 5 years. They were probably confused by things. The same will go with the pre.. They were trying to build something new not keep the old and comfortable. That being said... If I had been using the same system for 5+ years(Palm OS) I probably would wait before jumping on a 1st gen device as my life probably would depend on that device by now and it would be hard to go from the comfortable embrace of routine to new and exciting.. So returning the Pre for now probably is a good choice for those in that situation. Hopefully Palm will quickly fix some of the major drawbacks of the PIM so it's loyal users will feel more comfortable using the device.
    I think for me, as I find little things that could be better - like being able to dial a phone number from a calendar event (just tried that one), I'll see if we get some updates. There is potential for them to push out a few fixes at a time relatively quickly, I think. I might hang on to it beyond the 30-days, but will certainly look at the TP2 and the new BB later on and possibly even an Android device.

The more of these devices I try, the more deficiencies I find in each one. I may just end up with a Blackberry for email/phone/battery life and a iPod Touch for media like Om Malik did.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Gek, why not just stick with the Pre and its Classic versions of the PalmOS PIM apps that you enjoy? I know that virtual 5-way navigation isn't the best, but it might be a reasonable facsimilie of the best of both worlds.

Sorry if this has already been addressed.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    I picture this phone being a whole lot more functional in 1-3 months and the best out there in 6-12 months
    I agree it just needs time to bake. I did get an IM from a user on here having the same issue as I, he has since returned his phone (waiting on more to be available). I appreciate the tip notabun, but I did try this the other night hoping it might fix this very issue.

While I agree this might be a hardware issue, there are none available for me to swap out to and my storm has never just locked up in the middle of the night, it usually when I am browsing or using something other than the phone; the phone functions just fine. I am a typical early adopter and I can deal with a lot of things but the phone not working is not one of them. I rightfully expect that they would have the phone functionality figured out from day one, for anyone to expect anything different shocks me.

Another odd feature I forgot to point out earlier is about connecting the Pre to your computer. Does anyone know why it cut's off the radio if you do anything but charge it? Is this the Sprint was of trying to prevent you from tethering or some hardware/software limitation.

Several people here seem more than willing to beta test this product now that it's released, because I need to be available 24x7 I can't do that. I will come back and try again in a few months as I really do like the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovfriday View Post
    I agree it just needs time to bake. I did get an IM from a user on here having the same issue as I, he has since returned his phone (waiting on more to be available). I appreciate the tip notabun, but I did try this the other night hoping it might fix this very issue.

While I agree this might be a hardware issue, there are none available for me to swap out to and my storm has never just locked up in the middle of the night, it usually when I am browsing or using something other than the phone; the phone functions just fine. I am a typical early adopter and I can deal with a lot of things but the phone not working is not one of them. I rightfully expect that they would have the phone functionality figured out from day one, for anyone to expect anything different shocks me.

Another odd feature I forgot to point out earlier is about connecting the Pre to your computer. Does anyone know why it cut's off the radio if you do anything but charge it? Is this the Sprint was of trying to prevent you from tethering or some hardware/software limitation.

Several people here seem more than willing to beta test this product now that it's released, because I need to be available 24x7 I can't do that. I will come back and try again in a few months as I really do like the phone.
    If my phone acted up like yours, I'd probably just go out and buy a Treo Pro. I need a phone that is at least relatively reliable when I need it and so far the Pre has proven itself! Who knows though, maybe Sprint will rush ship you a new one if they can keep your 2 year signed
    Like many, I started with the Palm OS and eventually settled with WM. During my Palm time I used 2 applications that have no equal in any of the other operating systems available: ChatterEmail and Datebook. If it were not for the need/convenience of multitasking, the Centro would be my device of choice.

I recently played with a Pre and yep it looks nice, feels nice, small, and so forth. However, this is just one device that is too new for me at this stage. The applications I routinely use are not there at this time; they are with both Palm and WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Like many, I started with the Palm OS and eventually settled with WM. During my Palm time I used 2 applications that have no equal in any of the other operating systems available: ChatterEmail and Datebook. If it were not for the need/convenience of multitasking, the Centro would be my device of choice.

I recently played with a Pre and yep it looks nice, feels nice, small, and so forth. However, this is just one device that is too new for me at this stage. The applications I routinely use are not there at this time; they are with both Palm and WM.
    "Classic" isn't good enough?