Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I'm noticing two common issues that people are having here are signal issues and battery issues. Which was also reported by Pogue.

Now I've lived in the same area for over 30 years, been through many Treos and know where Sprint's signal is both strong and non-existent. Having a full day of playing with the Pre I'm seeing bouncing signal strength and not just from 3 to 4 bars but at times 2 to 5 bars, this is behavior that my previous Treos never experienced. Are other people noticing higher fluctuation in signal strength then previous phones? It is when this fluctuation is occurring that the battery is getting hot and therefore draining quickly.

I'm hoping that this is a situation which Palm/Sprint can fix with an update and cure both problems.

What do you guys think?
    I've got way more fluctuation in signal strength than my Treo 755p. I've seen it go from 0-5. I think there's an amplification turning on and off--when I'm actively downloading, it seems to be strong.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    This is my suspision too. In my home, I normally only get 1 bar (long time sprint customer before getting the Pre). What I notice now is that when some data request is happening (when the Ev square lights up to the left of the signal bars), the signal bars jumps way up (even sometimes all bars!) If they are varying the intensity of the radio I would think this is both a likely culprit of our battery drainage and improvable via future software updates.
    Is there some way on the pre we can see actual signal strength? We don't know how accurate the signal bars really are and whether sometimes when we see it go from 1 bar 5 there really is alot of fluctuation in the signal.
    completely agree with you there deesugar. i've posted similar comments on other threads as well. i've lived at the same place for 4+ years now and have never had trouble with sprint reception here on my 700p. but with the pre i'm seeing 1x for the first time ever, and walking along the street it was actually in R for roaming, which i've also never ever seen with the 700p. there is definitely something going on with the antenna/radio.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Is there some way on the pre we can see actual signal strength? We don't know how accurate the signal bars really are and whether sometimes when we see it go from 1 bar 5 there really is alot of fluctuation in the signal.
    Yes, ##DEBUG#
    I do hope this signal strength issue is not a design issue ala the Nokia E71, with funny placement of the antenna at the bottom (where your hand covers it). If it's fixable by a firmware update one new version could conceivably fix both problems.
    Verizon
  8. TMJ
    I am in the same boat as well see EV (3-4 bars) then (r) WTF............ Is this
    something sprint/palm are waiting to turn up the heat on or waiting to see
    how there network handles the overload of pre's released?
    I have a Sprint Airave station in my house. Without it, I would get lots of dropped calls.

With my previous phone and my wife's Rant, it shows full signal. With my Pre, it's all over the place. At first I thought it wasn't seeing the Airave. But every time I made a call, I heard the beeps telling me it was using the base station.

Maybe it's just an indication or a way the Pre saves battery life by using less power???
    how do you interpret the signal strength in the debug screen?
    Scooter,
    What you are seeing is normal. CDMA uses different channels and protocols for voice and EVDO data. When doing data on the EVDO channel, the base station blasts with more power to ensure the data gets to you quickly with no errors. That is why you see more bars with the EV icon lit. Voice uses lower power since the voice channel is shared with other users and coding is used to separate your signal from all the other mobiles and minimize errors.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    how do you interpret the signal strength in the debug screen?
    There are Receive/Transmit power numbers for both the cellular radio and EVDO radio those numbers are expressed in dBm.

Zero dBm equals one milliwatt. A 3 dB increase represents roughly doubling the power, which means that 3 dBm equals roughly 2 mW. For a 3 dB decrease, the power is reduced by about one half, making −3 dBm equal to about 0.5 milliwatt.
    Wow, it would be nice if a software update can fix this. I wanted to switch because AT&T is horrible in my home, but am getting the same as people are posting here with Sprint. 3 bars, 0 bars, R for a bit. It's disconcerting. I dropped two calls already. Grrr. A conformation would help before I cancel AT&T.
    My battery is going down quite about due to the switching between Sprint and Roaming...why the bleep did they have to remove the force roaming option?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I am coming from ATT and basically have reception fluctuate from R to Full Strength. It almost always is at 0 or 1 bar. I have dropped calls or have been unable to initiate calls several times.

Has anyone spoken to Sprint about this? Anyway to know whether this will get fixed or whether it is a limitation of Sprint?

I hope to God I do not have to return this phone. I have been waiting for it for 2 years.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fdezarra View Post
    I am coming from ATT and basically have reception fluctuate from R to Full Strength. It almost always is at 0 or 1 bar. I have dropped calls or have been unable to initiate calls several times.

Has anyone spoken to Sprint about this? Anyway to know whether this will get fixed or whether it is a limitation of Sprint?

I hope to God I do not have to return this phone. I have been waiting for it for 2 years.
    EXACTLY the same for me (except coming from ATT). Signal strength all over the place from R to 5 bars...and the battery gets very hot with very little use.
    Did you guys try network update and prl update? I did both of these (phone app>menu>preferences) and my signal strength seems to be a little more stable, more like what I'm used to seeing on my Treo.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Did you guys try network update and prl update? I did both of these (phone app>menu>preferences) and my signal strength seems to be a little more stable, more like what I'm used to seeing on my Treo.
    I'll try this and see what happens. Probably won't help much here at work, since my signal has never been good here, but I'll see when I get home if my signal seems more stable there.
    Just a quick update, doing the updates like jbg suggested did seem to make things slightly more stable here at work. I'm thinking everyone should try this and see if their signals stabilize afterward.

I also have noticed that it's definitely the signal connection that is causing the heat issue for me. On EVDO everything works fine, but I specifically made a note when it switched over to 1X and noticed that it immediately began getting hotter. Further investigation may be in order...
    Did the updates jbg, but what exactly do the updates do? What are they for? I know what they say and speak decent phone geek, but ???

Thanks in advance
    ETUTREO300
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast