1.    #1  
    Does the Pre play AVI files?
    Nope, unfortunately.
    you'll have to change the container from avi to mp4 or also transcode if the file you have isn't a supported codec by the pre
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Nope, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    you'll have to change the container from avi to mp4 or also transcode if the file you have isn't a supported codec by the pre
    thanks for the info..
    does anyone know of a FREE program to properly convert all of the AVI movies I have loaded on the TREO 755p. ARRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    Try out Doubletwist or Virtualdub. I haven't tried either yet but they are good programs that do that sort of thing.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coney27 View Post
    I second that, just choose the iPhone / iPod Touch preset and they work great on the Pre.
    I've already converted a bunch of my movies.

You can queue them up to and just let it run over night.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    I've already used handbrake to bring over several videos to my pre. I use the iphone setting.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Videora also seems to work well with the Itouch Setting. I also use this on my Instinct.
    Funny, I've used Handbrake for years now and it as mentioned here, it works fine for the Pre. However, on one particular movie (Snatch, if you care), the output .mp4 file (under the same settings as before, iPod Touch preset) does not play on the Pre.
    I'm in here trying to help a friend to play avi files on his Pre & I just wanted to say that This is exactly why I did not buy a Palm Pre. I will not by any Phone that does not play AVI/DIvx files. it's too much of a step backwards from the Palm Treo.
    This is in the works. I can currently play .AVI files with this.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...yer-1-0-a.html
    handbrake is great....and I like to use DVD to Pre to load and watch movies on my phone....i found windows movie maker default software to edit and handbrake to convert is a good combo...now if I could get a bigger USB drive on my next WebOs phone i'll be happy
    Quote Originally Posted by ceenote View Post
    Does the Pre play AVI files?
    As jsgraphicart post above, there is an application which can play AVI files, I'm unsure at the performance, but the original reply-er's were technically incorrect.