Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    This isn't mean as antagonistic, seriously, but it seems to me that most of the people who purchased the phone, defend its keyboard. However the people who spent a few hours with the device w/o purchase, seem to have different opinions. We all know its a fact that if you buy something, spend your hard earned money for it, you tend to defend anyone stating anything bad about it, its human, its normal. I tend to do it, i'm sure everyone does at times.

But what I would really like, is for the people who now own this device, that have owned blackberries, or TREOs, to tell me that the upper row of the PRE is or is not a pain in the A$$ to type on. Step back, be totally unbiased. I ask because I've spent a few hours with the PRE, and I come from a treo 700p, and the top row of the PRE is very difficult for me to type on when using 2 hand typing. 1 hand, its ok, thumb is more horizontal. 2 hands, thumbs are more vertical, and that slider is constantly in my way.

I'm not dogging anyone, so dont flame, about defending their pre or having an honest opinion. I just want some help, from the owners, who have played longer than I have with it, to say,

1) yeah - the top row is a pain, but you will truly get used to it,
    or
    2) yeah - the top row is a pain, but the rest of the device overcomes that issue,
    or
    3) no, coming from a treo or BB, this thing works perfectly for me and i have (small, medium, large) hands
    or
    4) yeah, it sux, and i have not gotten used to it after 1.5 days.

Throw your 2 cents in the ringer if u dont mind. Don't compare the iphone vs PRE etc, i just want to know about the PRE, and the top row. tks everyone!!
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    I have not noticed ANYTHING related to the top row - I think there is a ton of space up there. Yet again another complaint that I believe is blown out of proportion from a review or two.

BTW - I just posted this elsewhere - I have Touch Pro and we all know how big that keyboard is. I can type *almost* as good on the Pre after one day as I can on the TP. Just takes a little adjustment. But if someone is second guessing because or a review or ANYONE's opinion, then they are not doing themselves any justice. Go get one and try it out or move on.

Same with the sharp edges - I only know they are there because I went LOOKING for sharp edges due to a review.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    The keyboard could be wider but the keys are textured and distingiush themselves from one another well, unlike the Curve, for example.

I will say I have extremely big hands and I find the keyboard to be great. My thumb only touches the bottom of the slid up portion on T and Y because the phone and keyboard are rounded. It is not in the way or difficult to press even then, you just feel bit of the bottom of the slider. Doesn't slow me down or require extra effort.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Top row is just as good as the bottom. There's more then enough room to type. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
    Top row is very cramped for me...and gets in the way of me using my thumbs. That's my biggest complaint about the keyboard.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    3 - and I have medium to large hands....I had a blackberry and I have been surprised how little problem I've had on the Pre.
    I come from an iPhone and Blackberry bold and to be honest I don't see any issues with top row. Not sure their were some of the reviewd saying their were issues. Plenty of space on top.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Tks guys, keep the comments coming. Gotta go get some lunch, i'll read when i return. Yes JLTPre - i found the outside keys on top row were ok, but the center keys on the top row, i kept having a hard time pressing them cuz the tips of my thumbs were now pressed against the slider. Every key i could press the same, but those top few center characters, R,T,Y,U ...I just could not get used to in the time I had. It frustrated me for sure, I'm like "just a few mm more room would have been great!" .... Good info, keep it coming.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    initially i didnt like it but now have no problems using it... just one of those things you have to get used to.
    Coming from the years worth of using the Instinct's virtual keyboard, I must say it is taking time to get used to the keyboard. It is small, but it works surprisingly well. I have medium hands and my problem is not with the top row, but just making sure that I am hitting the correct keys all of the time. I have no doubt that the more I use it, the easier it will become.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I was worried about this, because I have enormous hands. But it's fine for me. My previous phone had no keyboard, though, so I wasn't used to a larger one.

Still not sure about battery life or call quality, though...
    I'm shocked and really pleased at how typable the keyboard is! Very little fat-thumbing. It's really beautifully designed. It looks like it would be hard to use--but it's not.
    Palm III - Tungsten E2 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre - Impatiently awaiting a Pre 3!
    3 --

I am a Big guy 6' 260 with big old meat hooks, and upgraded from a 755p and I am having no problem adjusting. It is smaller than a desktop keyboard though Personally I have tried the virtual keyboard on the Instinct and I(ch)phone and I cant stand the virtual thing.

Just my 2cents...
    The top row is a little cramped for me but I think I'll get used to it. That is, if they get another update out soon

As far as hardware goes, my only issue is sliding the keyboard. I haven't figured out a slick way to do this yet. Darn thing's too slippery! I'm hoping to pickup a touchstone this week to see if the matte back will give me more traction.
    Brandon
    I actually have issues with some of the side buttons, the top row feels just fine for my hands, though.
    keyboard is a bit annoing but the TREO has the best keyboard ever and will never be able to be replaced. If you are a girl and have fingernails the PRE keyboard and the top row are probably useless...
    Coming from a Centro, this keyboard feels like an improvement. I didn't notice any problem with the top row.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogloco21 View Post
    keyboard is a bit annoing but the TREO has the best keyboard ever and will never be able to be replaced. If you are a girl and have fingernails the PRE keyboard and the top row are probably useless...
    yep, just verified with my wife.. USELESS... that sucks..
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I am a heavy weight amateur boxer with size xxx hands. If I can type on it anyone can.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I'm coming from a Treo 650 and I've had no problems with the top row vs. the slider. See look: QWERTYUIOP. Seriously I wonder if it's a question of technique. I learned on the Treo to type with my thumbnails or the tips of my thumbs and that contunes to work well on the Pre. I could certainly see how it would be tougher if you type with the balls of your thumbs.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast