Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Over the past 5 years, I have used my trusty Treo and have always used a cable to connect my phone to the PC to charge it and sync my data to the pc/Treo...

But today it hit me...

The Pre vision is one of being completely and totally wireless (or untethered).
    No other phone can do this!!!

With the Touchstone and the Pre's "cloud" approach, you will NEVER have to connect your Pre to a cable... ( file transfers to/from your pc can be handled with wifi or bluetooth)

At first I was ticked-off that Palm decided to walk away from the idea of syncing directly to the PC via HotSync. But now I understand (at least I think I do) that you can still sync your Pre to the PC, but instead of using that cable (it is so 90's), you will use the cloud.

I currently have my Outlook syncing to Google and my Pre syncing to Google. Hopefully we will have many 3rd party apps that will develop apps with this vision.

I don't want to go back to the old stone-age ways & use cables

What say you????
    Quote Originally Posted by jjinwi View Post
    Over the past 5 years, I have used my trusty Treo and have always used a cable to connect my phone to the PC to charge it and sync my data to the pc/Treo...

But today it hit me...

The Pre vision is one of being completely and totally wireless (or untethered).
    No other phone can do this!!!

With the Touchstone and the Pre's "cloud" approach, you will NEVER have to connect your Pre to a cable... ( file transfers to/from your pc can be handled with wifi or bluetooth)

At first I was ticked-off that Palm decided to walk away from the idea of syncing directly to the PC via HotSync. But now I understand (at least I think I do) that you can still sync your Pre to the PC, but instead of using that cable (it is so 90's), you will use the cloud.

I currently have my Outlook syncing to Google and my Pre syncing to Google. Hopefully we will have many 3rd party apps that will develop apps with this vision.

I don't want to go back to the old stone-age ways & use cables

What say you????
    I'm not sure how you can say the Pre is the only one that can do this. Treos and BlackBerries have been doing this with Exchange for years. Also, Google has an option for the BlackBerry that lets it sync similar to what you have explained.

Were you able to get your tasks and memos to sync from Outlook to Google, and then Google to your Pre? I've heard there are problems with this. Also, what if you delegate a task in Outlook to someone, or have tasks in separate categories in Outlook. Do those carry over properly to Google and then to the Pre? I don't think it works. The Google task manager is very elementary and so is the Pre's.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's not the first - I have been running a mixture of exchange and livemesh on my phone for over a year - cable? what cable?
    I agree I also have been doing everything wirelessly for a long time. It would however to have the option to do it wired as well and Palm really needs to find a way to sync notes.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I never connected my Centro to a computer either.......
    I never connect my Touch Pro to a computer, except when I want to transfer a movie to it.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Most people would agree that physically one of the most awkward aspects of the Pre's hardware is the cover over the USB port. My Sprint store was out of Touchstones so I'm forced to use USB and I give a little shudder of trepidation every time I have to pry it open with my fingernail. Maybe Palm did that on purpose as revulsion therapy against cables.

And don't forget the other cable in the box...the headset. Viva la A2DP!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I guess I should have been more specific... only the Pre has the Touchstone which completes the "Totally Wireless" vision...
    Quote Originally Posted by jjinwi View Post
    I guess I should have been more specific... only the Pre has the Touchstone which completes the "Totally Wireless" vision...
    Well, that's not correct either, because the BlackBerry phones have two little brass tabs on the back, and all you have to do to charge the device is to set it in a cradle that has two contact points that touch those and give it juice. They sell them for like 20 bucks, and they work very well. It doesn't have to click in or anything. Just set it in there and it starts charging. It is the same basic concept as the Touchstone. You'll notice you had to change the back cover of your Pre in order to use the Touchstone, which I'm guessing is some sort of Palm version of the BlackBerry brass tabs for charging.

By the way, you didn't answer my questions about tasks and memos. I'm interested if you were able to get that to sync wireless with Google.