Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal65 View Post
    OP

Nice humorous post in a sea of overly-serious complaints about a brand new, version 1, phone.

This release is comparable to any NEW phone release - the fact the Pre is making the other carriers and phone manufacturers take notice already is truely something... The Pre will be updated and patched like the rest and will only get stronger.
    Yeah but you know what the problem is? No one ever takes the time to read the effin manual anymore.. The minute they have a question, they come on here and have other people do the work for them.
    i dont know how you can make this decision after just 1 day. give it at least a week.

if it doesnt blow up, then no skin off your nose.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by kineticvision View Post
    You sir are an *****. Missing basic features??? Like what? Phone, Email, Texting?? Those are basic features. It's a cell phone people! This phone is advanced. Trust me - I've had windows mobile and a blackberry pearl.

As far as the "engine stalls and restarts" - for every person who has had that problem there are 2,000 people who have not had that problem.

Soon you'll be complaining about the new car smell. Get over yourself.
    Basic features? How about all these things I have on my Treo:

Foating appointments. Repeating Tasks, the ability to truly silence the phone with the mute switch, categories, the ability for me to decide what I want to sync with, instead of the Pre automatically syncing 5,000 email adresses I'll never care about. The ability to start typing a number or a name, and the phone app (Takephone) figures out which it is. The ability to download files or pictures from web pages. The ability to select and copy text from a web page. The ability to organize my apps the way I want to, instead of being limited to three pages.

If all I wanted was the three basic features you list, I wouldn't spend $200 on a Pre, I'd get a free keyboard phone. When I pay for a smartphone, I expect a bit more than those things to be included as "basic."

If you've read through this forum, you've seen at least a hundred features people had on the prior phones that the Pre lacks. Maybe they don't matter to you, but that doesn't mean they're not important to those who posted. Don't assume everyone else's needs are as limited as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal65 View Post
    OP

Nice humorous post in a sea of overly-serious complaints about a brand new, version 1, phone.
    You know, I'm really getting kind of tired of this excuse. It's version ONE, not beta. And they didn't reduce the price by 30% because it lacks 30% of the features of it's competition. Regardless of the version, if it doesn't provide the capabilities I need it's not useful. It's nice that version 3 might finally add all features that Palm OS has had for more than 10 years, but I need a device that works now. People who are going to look at the Pre are not, for the most part, going to say "OK, I'll buy it now hoping they'll add the capabilities I want later." They're going to compare it to the iPhone, and the G-phones, and WM and BB phones, and say, "Wow, this is cool." But then they're going to take it home and say, "Wait, how do I forward a text message," and "Woah, why can't I cut and paste from a web page, or download a file or a picture from a web page." And then they're going to take it back.

If Palm was competing with a version 1 iPhone, this would be a great effort. Unforunately, they're competing with version 3 of the iPhone, version two of the Gphone, version 6 of WM, etc.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 06/08/2009 at 02:33 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    great. just great! thanks OP.
    Time to follow my own sig's advice.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I found the OP completely hilarious.

I find the complaints that people can't believe it doesn't do X when my [older palm phone] did completely insane. This is NOT PalmOS. This is a new OS, this is WebOS. It has been completely build from scratch. Palm does not own PalmOS, Access does. They couldn't use it as a roadmap for this OS.

People need to realize that before Palm was spun off from the old parent company, the OS division was sold off. That means that any OS build by Palm now is completely new territory. Why do you think the "Powered by Access" comes up on all the Palm phones boot up in the last 2-4 years. You don't see that on the Pre. It's all Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
    I found the OP completely hilarious.

I find the complaints that people can't believe it doesn't do X when my [older palm phone] did completely insane. This is NOT PalmOS. This is a new OS, this is WebOS. It has been completely build from scratch. Palm does not own PalmOS, Access does. They couldn't use it as a roadmap for this OS.

Yep, it's brand new. Is that an excuse for offering me a phone that does LESS than my current one? Maybe you're willing to put up with a glorified feature phone for the sake of being cool. I need a smartphone the WORKS. (By that I don't mean one that's not broken, I mean one that does the things I need to support what I do. I won't buy a new car, just because it's new, if it won't take me where I need to go. And I won't by a smartphone, just because it's new, if it won't provide the capabilities I need. The Pre doesn't provide those capabilities, period. And the fact that it might do so, a year or two from now, doesn't help me today.

Aside from that, the software is truly buggy. Maybe you can accept that as the price of being a 1.0 device, but I can't accept things like not being able to insert symbols in text fields on web pages, or a silent button that doesnt' really silence alarms (or alarms that go off on days they're not supposed to).

New isn't a synonym for beta.

And you need to get your intellectual property law straight: Palm clearly couldn't COPY the code from the Access owned OS, nor the interface, but they could, and can, certainly implement any capability included in the old OS. They chose not to do so, but they were not prohibited from doing so. If Palm couldn't copy the functionality of, say, forwarding text messages, then this wouldn't appear on any other devices, either.

There is absolutly no legal reason the Pre PIM apps are feeble cousins to the PIM apps that the P-OS has offered for years. Palm either chose not to include them, or couldn't get them to work in the time available before launch.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234