Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After playing with it for 24 hours..I can shockingly say this is by far and away the best phone I have ever used....when they get this app catalog going...look out. I can't wait to get my slingbox on here.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I would agree eventually, but not just yet. There is a LONG way to go (have you been reading the forums?!?!) to make it very competitive against the iPhone but it definitely has the ability to exceed the iPhone (imho).

I bought a Pre over an iPhone (esp with Apple rolling out a new phone, um, tomorrow). I definitely am betting on the Pre horse!
    I hoped it would be, but with a battery that makes me think I was spoiled by the iPhone's battery, i don't think it is.

I guess it's fine if you can charge it twice a day or carry around an extra battery thoughl.
    Disagree.

The iPhone has too far of a head start.

WebOS is going to turn out as a good competitor to the iPhone. However, the hardware on the Pre is not up to it. Hopefully Palm licenses out WebOS to other hardware manufacturers.
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    Disagree.

The iPhone has too far of a head start.

WebOS is going to turn out as a good competitor to the iPhone. However, the hardware on the Pre is not up to it. Hopefully Palm licenses out WebOS to other hardware manufacturers.
    WTF??? Just because the iPhone has more storage doesn't mean it's better hardware.
    I am not calling this phone any kind of killer. Just because I'm tired of these versus matches.

And I've had very little battery issues. The standby battery drain is so minuscule I went about 4 hours only losing only 14% battery life from answering texts, checking twitter once in a while and showing off the phone a little bit to a couple friends last night.
    I find the hardware to be better then the iphone but it needs updates. Even with the upcoming iPhone I doubt they have made it good enough. With the rumors circulating if they allow multi-tasking it will be limited to either certain apps or limited in the amout of apps that can run at the same time. One of the reasons why the battery lasts longer with the iPhone is because it can't due things like multi-task.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Yeah I heard about that iPhone multitasking rumor. The Pre is a fine device and it tops the original iPhone but it still feels like a 1.0 device. I think that these tweaks can be made via a software update though. I heard that there are also numerous hardware problems with the Pre (dead/stuck pixels, screen distortion, getting really hot, etc). I think that once Palm gets the hardware problems sorted out and pushed a big software update, then all will be fine. The iPhone 3G's battery life sucks btw, even without multitasking.
    I say it when iPhone peeps bag on the Pre, and I am saying it now as a Pre owner watching Pre owners bag on the iPhone:

One device is not a patch on the other.

The Pre doesn't "kill" anything. It IS the device I have been waiting for. That's all.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's really too soon to say - for most people the "killer" thing about the iphone is the hardware + apps - the pre doesn't have that level of apps yet.

Give it six months to a year and we will be able to make that sort of analysis or see if the pre is an also-ran or serious competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's really too soon to say - for most people the "killer" thing about the iphone is the hardware + apps - the pre doesn't have that level of apps yet.

Give it six months to a year and we will be able to make that sort of analysis or see if the pre is an also-ran or serious competition.
    The thing I found really funny recently, is the latest Apple App commercial I see on TV is showing off Fandango. And it just makes me go "lolwut"?
    The Pre is amazing and the best phone I've ever used.
    The Pre will never overtake the iphone. It never can without an apple logo on the back of it. That's just the facts.

That being said, I already greatly prefer it over the iphone. It already launched with far more capabilities than the iphone did at it's launch. After time, WebOS devices will be incredible - but they can never overtake apple or the iphone without that logo.
    I think that the hardware is much better than the iPhone. The kayboard is awesome, the screen is crystal clear, and the camera is... Light years ahead of the iphone. Right now the only problems reside in the firmware. When the 1st gen iphone was released it had just as many bugs as the has. It took them a few months to take care of them all and my prediction is that the pre will to. So if you want to compare the Pre to the iphone, compare the hardware to the 3G's and the firmware to the iphone 3G's and the firmware to the 1st gen iphone within the 1st month it came out. What I'm trying to tell is in 2-5 months then compare it to the iphone 3G.
    This is coming from a guy who has a Mac Pro, two MacBook Pros, a Mac Air and two iPhones (2 and 3g) and have been part of the OS3.0 Beta. I admit I have owned just about every Palm since the original black and white Pilot. For the past four or five years I have not purchased any Palm phones though.

Why I just cancelled my ATT account:

1. ATT wants us to use wifi for all cool apps - Now I will ATT!
    2. Pre Improvements Over iPhone OS3.0
    -Multitasking
    -Multitasking
    -Multitasking
    -The pop up message system on Pre is much better then what has been seen on OS3.0. For example the pop up message stays on screen until you tap it on Pre while on iPhone if your phone is asleep and you get the background notification when you turn on the iPhone the message is on screen but as soon as you slide finger to access phone the message is gone. I have accidentally closed the message pop up by sliding finger without noticing I had the pop up message. Also on the Pre how it is displayed is surprisingly a lot more elegant than on iPhone.
    -One tap access to wifi and bt from any screen
    -Combined email accounts / easily see all together or separate
    -Alarm can play a full mp3 song - FINALLY I CAN DO THIS AGAIN
    -Small compact size and shape
    -TV over 3G
    -No more ATT BS
    -Memo app is terrific - exactly what I was looking for on iPhone and couldnt find.

3. What I will miss
    -Browser for now is still better on iPhone imo
    -Storage capacity

Im sure I am missing a lot on both lists but the upside of the Pre is greater for me at least. I do not play games and although I have downloaded a ton of apps I really never use them. I will keep iPhone and probably upgrade my wife's 2G when the new one comes out and give her my 3G and then use the new one over wifi only as my glorified iPod.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    It really depends on how rapidly updates come out for things that were obviously cut to rush this thing out the door. But right now this is no iphone killer at all. It has the potential to be, which no other phone can even attempt to claim in seriousness.
    I think it is a fantastic iPhone alternative!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    WTF??? Just because the iPhone has more storage doesn't mean it's better hardware.
    Didn't say anything about storage. Just because I made my opinion known does not mean it was personally directed at you. Apparently the only worse thing than an Apple fanboy seems to be a Palm fanboy.

My day old Pre has issues that should never have made it past quality control. Why has it locked up three times on the first day with 1.02? Why is thing so hot when NOT plugged into a charger? Why is it so hard to get the USB door off? Why can't I get the battery to last a half day?

I want Palm to succeed. Palm has to get this thing right. They don't have the luxury that Apple has. How much damage has the Storm done to RIM?

Hopefully these issues can be resolved with software updates.

I'm sure Palm reads these message boards. Hopefully some constructive criticism will help them improve the software before the general public starts buying.

peace.
    There is NO such thing as an iPhone Killer. The Pre makes the iPhone look clunky and dated that's for sure. When the App Catalog gets more support it will be even better that it currently is now. But, there are SO many people who will NEVER switch from the iPhone no matter what else comes out. They have brand loyalty to the point of blindness. That's just the way it is and no device or company can change that unless Apple shoots themselves in the foot somehow which is not going to happen. The same rules apply to the iPod. There are plenty of cheaper and in some cases (zune) better devices out there but the masses just want their damn iPod and don't care what else there to choose from...period.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    Didn't say anything about storage. Just because I made my opinion known does not mean it was personally directed at you. Apparently the only worse thing than an Apple fanboy seems to be a Palm fanboy.

My day old Pre has issues that should never have made it past quality control. Why has it locked up three times on the first day with 1.02? Why is thing so hot when NOT plugged into a charger? Why is it so hard to get the USB door off? Why can't I get the battery to last a half day?

I want Palm to succeed. Palm has to get this thing right. They don't have the luxury that Apple has. How much damage has the Storm done to RIM?

Hopefully these issues can be resolved with software updates.

I'm sure Palm reads these message boards. Hopefully some constructive criticism will help them improve the software before the general public starts buying.

peace.
    I'm sorry your having a heck of a time. I can only say to try and drain the battery all the way down once, recharge, then do this again. I had to do that on my iphone 3G. It seemed to help. Limiting the amount of times the mail client checks email helps too. Obviously Exchange and PUSH services will drain it. My iphone was horrible. By 3PM everyday, it was dead.

Luckily I'm not experiencing the other issues you mention. But the G1 had issues day one. Why couldn't a juggernaut like Google / HTC get it right from Day one? My GF had to replace two units. I had to replace an iPhone 1G and an iPhone 3G because of issues. I'd take yours in once stock replenishes and swap it out. Instead of complaining on here about Palm's failure, see how it will be remedied. The fact Apple replaced mine without hassle, and the way TMO replaced the G1's for my GF is more important than a few niggling issues at launch. Time will tell, but I have a feeling that the Pre will succeed in its space.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast