Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I want it to succeed.

I've drained the battery down and recharged overnight. I've turned off GPS and never did turn on BT. Got all email to check every 30 min. Well see. Part of it is everyone is trying all the stuff on their new phone. Once the usage settles down, we will get a better idea on the battery life.

I think webOS will succeed. The hardware on the Pre 1.0 might not be up to the task.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    If they came out at the same time, we'd have never even heard of the iphone. but it has too much (unearned) hype on it now and will never be "killed" by the pre.

It is, however an excellent competitor, and the best phone sprint has to offer by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg37 View Post
    If they came out at the same time, we'd have never even heard of the iphone. but it has too much (unearned) hype on it now and will never be "killed" by the pre.

It is, however an excellent competitor, and the best phone sprint has to offer by far.

This is of course impossible as we all know because if it were not for the iPhone or Apple there would be NO Palm Pre. A dose of reality for you all.

Unearned hype? What on earth are you talking about? Please elaborate, there was and is plenty of hype surrounding the iPhone and it has lived up to and exceeded most all of it.

Now I will admit I have not used a Pre but from what I have read here and seen there are PLENTY of things that make this device a nice competitor but certainly NOT a killer or whatever you all would like to call it.
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    Didn't say anything about storage. Just because I made my opinion known does not mean it was personally directed at you. Apparently the only worse thing than an Apple fanboy seems to be a Palm fanboy.

My day old Pre has issues that should never have made it past quality control. Why has it locked up three times on the first day with 1.02? Why is thing so hot when NOT plugged into a charger? Why is it so hard to get the USB door off? Why can't I get the battery to last a half day?

I want Palm to succeed. Palm has to get this thing right. They don't have the luxury that Apple has. How much damage has the Storm done to RIM?

Hopefully these issues can be resolved with software updates.

I'm sure Palm reads these message boards. Hopefully some constructive criticism will help them improve the software before the general public starts buying.

peace.
    The post below actually relates to the "slider OS crash" problem, but it might be worth trying as a last resort if you continue to have problems with the phone locking up.

Quote Originally Posted by funnyrocket View Post
    hey guys I had the same problem with my advocate phone and I figured out a fix. I haven't had the problem since. What I did was go to Palm and log into the manage your palm profile and remote erase your phone and then when it completes your phone will power cycle. Log into your palm profile on the Pre and let it load, this should work. I couldn't tell you why this worked, but this is the only thing that did. I'm here if you guys have any questions, I've been using the phone daily for quite some time.
    But I think that short of breaking the thing off, we're going to have to live with the USB door issue. I don't think that's going to be fixed by a remote wipe or firmware update.
    Quote Originally Posted by dh23 View Post
    This is of course impossible as we all know because if it were not for the iPhone or Apple there would be NO Palm Pre. A dose of reality for you all.
    It could easily be said the other way around, if it were not for the Treo or Palm there would be no iPhone.

And who's to say the new phrase won't be "Pre killer"?
    I dont own the pre, i have the first generation iphone. I am seriously considering the pre though, the os looks great, plus att does not provide 3g in my area. But there have been numerous posts comparing the pre to iphone saying how when the iphone came out it had problems too and the pre is better than when the first iphone came out. Well i just want to say -it better be- palm invented the smartphone years before the iphone was released and they have had 2 years since the iphone came out to provide us with something worthwhile, im just saying it would have been a huge dissapointment if they didnt make something more advanced than the first iphone and also it is nothing to tout about, its expected. And no its not an iphone killer, apple has produced a great product, lets hope this competition makes them produce something even better. Anyway hope they put this os in a better package than the pre, im pretty sure im in.
    Theres still a lot to be had in the Palm Pre that was left out or we expected it to be there from the old OS
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    It could easily be said the other way around, if it were not for the Treo or Palm there would be no iPhone.

And who's to say the new phrase won't be "Pre killer"?
    I hear you except for the fact that there would be no PALM if it were not for the Newton!
    Not necessarily true. The founders of Palm were developing a hand writing recognition program initially. You had Go Corp along with Apple doing a poor job at creating and marketing a pen based device. The big three saw an opportunity to do it much better and along came the Pilot. So it's not like they didn't already have an idea, and it strictly wasn't Apple that led them to believe they could build a better mousetrap. If not for a good 10 year run by Palm(at the time) and fairly successful migration from pda to smartphone, I doubt we'd have the iphone as we now know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dh23 View Post
    I hear you except for the fact that there would be no PALM if it were not for the Newton!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I think it is a fantastic iPhone alternative!
    Now this, I agree with. I'm still not sure which for ME...but you are right on.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    The Pre is amazing and the best phone I've ever used.
    +1
    Why are people comparing the pre to a 2 yr old iphone? I keep hearing how the pre has more feaures than the iphone at launch. What's so great about that? Its been 2 freaking years! If they didn't have more than that would be a shame. They should be better than the previous phone not match it.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    The Pre is amazing and the best phone I've ever used.
    I couldn't agree more!!
    It's too bad that cellular networks and record labels have such a stranglehold on what we can and can't do with our phones.

The iPhone is fun device, but it's the equivalent of a television in a safe. You can change the channel and you can buy things, but you can't put your things on it without their permission. Programming interpreters are forbidden. It's ironic how this came from the same company that made the famous 1984 commercial.

Classic offers a way out of this mess. It may only be a walled off area on the Pre, but you can do almost anything within that area, and you can easily access it via USB. Maybe someday the Pre will have a subfolder for WebOS or Linux, and you can also do anything you want within there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Why are people comparing the pre to a 2 yr old iphone? I keep hearing how the pre has more feaures than the iphone at launch. What's so great about that? Its been 2 freaking years! If they didn't have more than that would be a shame. They should be better than the previous phone not match it.
    It's really a 1 year old phone in comparison, since the 3G iPhone came out a year ago.

It only matches in areas of screen quality (looks and capacitive)

It is better than the current iPhone in many respects:

-Multi-tasking = huge
    -Removable battery = huge
    - Physical keyboard = not only better text input, but more screen real estate when in use
    - Completely open and lightweight OS

Just wait...there more it gets out there, the better it will get.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    . The big three saw an opportunity to do it much better and along came the Pilot.
    Gotta disagree with you on that, the newton was and still is light years ahead of the Palm Pilot. The OS was fantastic and WAY ahead of it's time.

Bottom line Palm and Apple have a lot of history and you must admit there is a lot of Apple DNA in the Palm Pre.
    Meanwhile, back in the real world...

I will freely admit that I previously stated on this forum that I would not be getting a Pre and went on the list the reasons for my decision.

However, I went to the Sprint store yesterday not far from where I work and ended up buying one. This is my third Palm device. (TX, 680, and now the Pre) The bottom line is that I had to have a new phone as the old one was slowly dying and not keep up with my needs.

Do I like the phone so far? Yes
    Do I "love" it? Not yet. The more I use it and get accustomed to it, the more I like it. (It's barely been 24 hours.)
    Does it have some issues? Sure, but what new technology (hardware/software) doesn't? (That's a fact of life.) It will get better with time. All technologies do.

I have some critiques but they are mostly personal preference as opposed to criticism:

It feels too small. I have large hands so I tend to like phones that fill my palm. (As I said, just my preference.) The Treo fit my hand wonderfully. I wish the Pre were the same length.

I think it could benefit from a slightly larger display. I know, 4/10's of an inch seems like nit-picking but it does make a big difference overall.

Overall, I think it has a great deal of potential that remains to be seen.
    I have an iPhone and an iPod touch.... someone please explain to me what the iPhone does better than this phone....

copy and paste WOOT!
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    There are wayy too many issues right now to call it an iPhone killer. The iPhone might be limited in functionality, but it does the things it does do very well. The Pre is still new and needs some things worked on and still needs time before it can be called and iPhone killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I don't agree with that at all. There is almost nothing from the Treo in the iPhone. The Treo is basically a PalmOS PDA with a phone, the iPhone is an iPod with a phone. They can both make phone calls, send email and browse the web but the iPhone is a lousy PDA and the Treo is a lousy MP3 player.

The Pre OTOH, borrows as much from the iPhone as it does from the Treo, possibly more.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast