Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    [Please don't turn this into an "iTunes sucks" thread. We get it, it's not the best but it is what most people use]

As someone who's carried a cellphone and iPod for years then the iTunes support was probably the biggest news out there. I can FINALLY go on a trip with only one device. But now that it's here then I'm realizing that even though it does work, I'm still going to be carrying around an iPod (actually, a disabled iPhone I use as a Touch).

Pre Media Player
    Pro:
    - Easy access when in other apps
    - iTunes Works! Playlists, video and even photos!
    - Separate volume control

Con:
    - Podcasts are impractical since it doesn't retain play location and starts ever file from beginning
    - iTunes is clearly a hack job. If you plug in a 2nd iPod it crashes the Pre
    - iTunes photos doesn't "optimize" so you waste space with the full size pics
    - No scrubber for skipping around
    - Defaults to Cover Flow mode instead of list mode when shuffling
    - App loads quick, then hangs as the obtrusive Amazon MP3 Link locks in place

Overall most people should love it. But podcast users may end up still requiring a device that has the ability to bookmark your location if you quit listening. Hopefully this gets addressed before Apple puts the kill on the iTunes hack.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Before I bought the phone, I was planning to buy an iPod Touch 64GB if/when they ever come out. That plan still stands.

Here's the reality: The Pre is not an iPod. It doesn't claim to be an iPod, and it's not ever going to be an iPod. But that's ok, because if you want an iPod, chances are good that you have over 7GB (the free space on the Pre) worth of music. I did the 8GB of music thing with the 1st iPhone, then upgraded to 16GB when the 3G came out, thinking it would make a difference. What I found out is that you can never have enough space on your iPod.
    I'll still be using my Zune for my preferred MP3/Media player.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    I'm keeping my Ipod nano. The nano lets me plan DRM protected songs, Audible.com audiobooks, manages podcasts easily, has a battery which lasts for a long time, and is very small for me to take on a run.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Well, not a replacement for me as I don't own an IPod. But, it will be the only device I carry - been that way since the 650. I like only dealing with a single device and the 7 gigs available are plenty for my needs.
    I personally think it works just as well as the iPhone music player, with the exception of the Podcasts issue. Maybe someone will be able to make a Podcast-specific application which uses its own folder that the Pre-music player can be set to ignore (the same way it ignores the ringtones folder).

Other than that, it's just as good as far as I'm concerned. Yes, the limited storage sucks, but if you only need 8GB, then I think you'd be happy with only the Pre.
    The only issue I see is battery life and how much storage everyone personally needs. It synced with my itunes and it sounds great, so it's an iPod replacement in my eyes. I won't be bringing out my iPod nano anymore.
    Doesn't work very well as a music player currently IMO coming from an iPhone, but it can be fixed with software update which I hope come quickly because I've been saying that wayy too much lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    Doesn't work very well as a music player currently IMO coming from an iPhone, but it can be fixed with software update which I hope come quickly because I've been saying that wayy too much lately.
    Out of curiosity, what do you find that the music player doesn't do as well as the iPhone? I know it doesn't have the fancy 3D Cover Flow, but I find that to be useless eye candy anyway, and the Pre's version is just as functional.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I think the media duties are great for day to day needs, but I'll still keep my iPod(s) around for major travel.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    The only thing I find it is missing is the ability to scrub through a track.

Some people might be missing the equalizer, but I dont use it. With a good pair of headphones there is no need for an equalizer.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you find that the music player doesn't do as well as the iPhone? I know it doesn't have the fancy 3D Cover Flow, but I find that to be useless eye candy anyway, and the Pre's version is just as functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmerahn View Post
    The only thing I find it is missing is the ability to scrub through a track.

Some people might be missing the equalizer, but I dont use it. With a good pair of headphones there is no need for an equalizer.
    Yeah, that makes sense, though I feel like a dedicated Podcast app (which I have to imagine will come eventually) can take care of that... I can't imagine wanting that for anything but Podcasts. Actually, I guess for audiobooks too, for those who use them.

And yeah, an equalizer would be a nice addition, but I don't find it necessary either.
    How's the audio quality?

I have a Dell Axim x51v and the sound coming out of that (through nice headphones) can't compare to a dedicated mp3 player (I have a Zune 80).
    I'm not throwing away my iPod but this phone could DEFINITELY replace it....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No one ever uses Coverflow anyway, it cripples the function of the iPod/iPhone, it's just eyecandy. I like how Palm shows the album art and you can skip by swiping.

I am also curious as to what he needs for it to be better, it's pretty great.
    I think it's got very good audio quality through my Etymotic headphones. That being said, I don't have enough of a 'golden ear' to discern between the electronics they're hooked up to usually. I can definitely tell the difference between my headphones and a crappy pair, but not between different players.
    I love Genius.... It is a pretty big deal for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by gomarpyle View Post
    I love Genius.... It is a pretty big deal for me...
    I thought that was a function of iTunes, not of the iPhone music player?
    Music and Videos syncs with iTunes fine for me.

When I try to sync Photos (I turn off the "keep full size" option for obvious reasons), the Photos do not show up on the Pre -- although iTunes reports that they are there (taking up storage space).

So on the whole, I'd give it a B.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I'll still be using my Zune for my preferred MP3/Media player.
    Same here. I can't stand ipods and their closed architecture BS. I will be keeping my old Zune for music, though.

After seeing the videos/pics/specs of the Zune HD coming in fall, I will be getting that day one as my primary media player. That thing is incredible.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast