1.    #1  
    I have Wifi at my house thats on my pre but when I leave the house it seems wifi stays on, not like the iphone where it switches to 3G?

Does having wifi on drain my battery?
    I have wifi at home, too...but I'm not keeping wifi on because I believe it does contribute to battery depeltion. I'll turn it on if need be, but normally I won't need to.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Turn it off when you know there is no WiFi as it will constantly search for it draining your battery.
    Just tap the top right area of the screen and the menu will appear.
    What's the benefit of using wifi instead of 3G besides being able to use data while in a call?
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Doesn't use minutes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    What's the benefit of using wifi instead of 3G besides being able to use data while in a call?
    ****load faster.

but I've noticed it hinders my sprint signal too when it's on at home.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Wifi is faster and uses less battery compared to a EVDO connection.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Wifi is faster and uses less battery compared to a EVDO connection.
    Actually, can we turn off evdo and just use wifi?
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Better bandwidth. I've noticed it based on limited experimentation with Youtube videos (which are really cool on the Pre). I sometimes get pauses on 3G, but not on WiFi. Of course, YMMV, depending on the 3G and WiFi signals.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    Yea, airplane mode.
    Data plans don't use minutes, so ignore what I posted above.
    Probably need to get a ruling on this - but it appears to me that when wifi is one, EVDO is off. That's the way it works on WM devices and the EV box is replaced with the wifi box when wifi is on.

And if you lesve wifi on, it turns itself off when the phone sleeps.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Are you sure of that?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Probably need to get a ruling on this - but it appears to me that when wifi is one, EVDO is off. That's the way it works on WM devices and the EV box is replaced with the wifi box when wifi is on.

That's exactly what I have experienced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Are you sure of that?
    I just looked at it - when I wake up my Pre, the EV symbol is there and then WiFi comes back on and takes its place. So it appears to me that WiFi goes off when the Pre goes to sleep (screen turns off).
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    Yes, but I don't think you can make or receive calls.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I was able to still make phone calls even though my WiFi was enabled...
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    Yes, but I don't think you can make or receive calls.
    Yes you can - you cannot make a call and receive EVDO data at the same time. WiFi, no problem.
  18.    #18  
    so wifi helps the battery more? ill turn it on now then
    WiFi being on will drain the battery faster. It's an additional antenna, so it draws power.
    You can turn off the cell radio (voice) and still retain WiFi by going into airplane mode then manually turning on WiFi. You'll extend your battery life, but you WON'T be able to receive phone calls.
    WiFi will probably give you better data transfer speeds than the cell network. However, if you're not using WiFi (not at home/hotspot), you will extend your battery life by turning off the WiFi antenna.