Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I figure that we've all had a chance to play with our Pre's now, so this would be a good time to share some tips that you've learned/discovered. Depending on the amount and kind that are shared, I can update this post with the latest ones. I'll start:

1. When typing, just type "u", then a space or a period or comma, and the Pre will auto-correct it to "you".
    2. If you're in a text field and the Pre auto-caps the first letter and you don't want it to be capitalized, press the delete key once, and it'll change it to lowercase without having to type the letter again.
    3. In card mode, if you press and hold on a card, it'll zoom out to a smaller view which makes it easier to see multiple cards! You can also do this by tapping anywhere on the wallpaper.
    4. You can change your launcher Apps by holding the App in the launcher bar and then dragging it up. Then you can add by doing the opposite, Hold the icon of the App you want in the launcher and pull down into the launcher
    5. If your display turns off while the keyboard is open, you can press the spacebar instead of the power button to turn it back on
    6. When typing, you can type "thru", and it will auto-correct it to "through"
    7. When typing, if you want to move the cursor, hold down the orange button and you can "slide" the cursor around
    8. Orange + Sym + R seems to soft reset the phone.
    9. After tapping a notification, you can return it to icon form by swiping down on it
    10. You can maximize a shrunken card by swiping down below the card towards the gesture area.
    11. Enter "t" for a Timed Pause in a dial string, and enter "p" for a Hard Pause in a dial string. Touch the remainder of the dial string following the word "Dial" on the screen to trigger the next set of digits to dial.
    12. Orange + sym and tap on link opens a new card when browsing online
    13. Hold the shift button down and press the back key to delete whole words at a time.
    14. You can get rid of the Alarm icon in the notification bar by restarting the phone after setting the alarm.
    15. If your keyboard is slid out, you can take a picture with the camera by pressing the spacebar
    16. Take a screenshot by pressing Orange + Shift + P. The new pic will be in your photos, under "screenshots"
    17. You can set the weather to display on your calendar (if it's sync'd with google calendar) by going to the Settings on http://calendar.google.com entering your zip code and setting the "Display weather on calendar" option.
    18. You can remove installed (downloaded) apps from the launcher by opening the launcher, going to the Launcher options, select List Apps then click on the desired app and click delete OR by holding down the orange button and tapping the app you want to delete.
    19. Orange + Sym + I brings up an overlay from any app that show information. Not sure of its use.
    20. You can use a long swipe down gesture to close the launcher overlay as well as the swipe up, the center button, and the icon.
    21. "Peek" in the calendar day mode (or week mode) by holding your finger and dragging it half way to peek into the next day.
    Last edited by buyrihn; 06/12/2009 at 12:38 AM.
    In card mode, if you press and hold on a card, it'll zoom out to a smaller view which makes it easier to see multiple cards!
    how can I select text from a website to copy and paste somewhere else?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    There's no spell check, right? I wanna make sure I didn't miss it somehow. I hope they add that at some point, I have become way too dependent on it to go without.
    Here's another.

You can change your launcher Apps by holding the App in the launcher bar and then dragging it up. Then you can add by doing the opposite, Hold the icon of the App you want in the launcher and pull down into the launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by hchavarria View Post
    how can I select text from a website to copy and paste somewhere else?
    You can't (at least, not yet). You can only copy/paste EDITABLE text. This has been known for quite some time!
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    1. If you're in a text field and the Pre auto-caps the first letter and you don't want it to be capitalized, press the delete key once, and it'll change it to lowercase without having to type the letter again.
    oh man! thank you so much for that! i was going nuts trying to figure this out!
    oops
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Gesture Guide:

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Gestures Help
    This is beautiful. I need to start at the very bottom of the basics and I managed to learn two tricks here.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    does anyone know how to insert hard pause in phone number ?
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    In card mode, if you press and hold on a card, it'll zoom out to a smaller view which makes it easier to see multiple cards!
    If you press and hold a card, yes it zooms out but I think that is used mostly to rearrange the cards.

If you just want to zoom out while in card view, just tap on your wallpaper just below the cards.
    This may have been mentioned somewhere else before, but it was news to me and a great fix for what was really ****ing me off. When typing, if you want to move the cursor, hold down the orange button and you can "slide" the cursor around instead of having to try and hit the right spot.

Nevermind, I'm and *****. Maybe I should have just read the manuals that came with the phone (where this is mentioned already). Never been one for manuals, though. It's more fun to figure it out on your own!
    Last edited by Pre Diddy; 06/08/2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Duh
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Just found a workaround for the Google maps + contact function we Palm OS folks liked and used. (In google maps, you could search for a business, ie., Best Buy and then you could add that contact to your contact list, very handy). The Pre's Google maps does not allow this, much to my dismay, but if you have the 'Where' app installed, here's how you do it. Inside Where, tap on 'Yelp', enter the business name in the search field and it will present a list of entries for your review, click the most appropriate and you'll get all the details for that item. On the bottom right of the screen, you'll see two icons, one for google maps and the other for 'Add to Contacts'. Click the add icon and it adds it, lickedy split.
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenjim View Post
    Just found a workaround for the Google maps + contact function we Palm OS folks liked and used. (In google maps, you could search for a business, ie., Best Buy and then you could add that contact to your contact list, very handy). The Pre's Google maps does not allow this, much to my dismay, but if you have the 'Where' app installed, here's how you do it. Inside Where, tap on 'Yelp', enter the business name in the search field and it will present a list of entries for your review, click the most appropriate and you'll get all the details for that item. On the bottom right of the screen, you'll see two icons, one for google maps and the other for 'Add to Contacts'. Click the add icon and it adds it, lickedy split.
    Nice.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Okay, two things I am really, really missing right now:

battery life. I had a 3200mih battery on my Treo 750, it lasted over a day with hours and hours of talk, etc. This 1100 mih battery stinks until an extended battery comes out. I am charging my phone every 3-4 hours..

now back on topic: Where is the shortcut keys on the Pre?!! On my Treo 750, I had almost every single letter associated with a shortcut, either an application, phone #, or a direct message to a particular person. Is this here and I am just missing it?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    You may want to go through the Easter eggs thread for more items for the list. I'm not planning on reposting here. Thanks for collecting them.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post

1. When typing, if you want to move the cursor, hold down the orange button and you can "slide" the cursor around
    I've been looking for this, thanks! I saw the first day that four directional arrows appeared when you hit the orange button but I couldn't figure out how to make the cursor move without tapping on a word with your finger. I even asked a Palm rep at my local sprint store if there was another way to move the cursor and she said "no". This method is much easier!
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenjim View Post
    If you open a location in g maps you can tap the phone number and it opens it in the dialer where you can add it to contacts. Doesn't bring over the name or anything so it's not as useful but there ya go.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Has anyone found a way to insert a tab/indent when typing? The Treo setup for this was Option + Spacebar, but that doesn't appear to work.

Rob
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast