1.    #1  
    I understand why the media likes to compare the the Pre to the iPhone, but I think the Pre has a much bigger chance of hurting RIMM significantly.

1) RIMM doesn't have anywhere near the application base that Apple does. So the Pre will catch up with RIMM much faster, and the apps will be much more capable than the BB versions because the OS is much more capable.

2) Email is the primary driver behind people loving their blackberries. Email works REALLY well on the BB, and Apple has never really challenged RIMM in this aspect. Palm did email extremely well here, and I think it's more than capable of giving you the core email functionality of RIMM, but with a great UI and functionality to integrate not just email but contacts from multiple services too.

3) RIMM's core OS was not designed to really take advantage of a touchscreen. The Storm shows this. The Storm 2 will be much better screen wise, but the OS really needs a ground up refresh to do the right thing, and that's going to take a LONG time.

4) Let's just call it it is - the BB browser sucks. Slow, clunky, and unable to render real web pages with any kind of grace. Zooming? Ugh... The Pre already smokes RIMM here, and with Java coming, it'll be a much more compelling business web experince that a lot of companies are beginning to depend on in their internal systems.

Palm has to fix a few things to really hurt them, but I suspect they are already being addressed for a future release. Most of these are a little surrpising to be missed the first time around, but I suspect Palm is very motivated to fix them.

A) EAS just has to work. PIN's, self signed certificates, remote wipe, etc... this all needs to be fixed and fast or the Pre will get a bad rep in corp IT depts soon. No one likes users calling up and demanding crypto certs, config changes, etc... They must have not had a very diverse beta group to not have caught these.

B) Voice dial - The Pre needs to be a better phone. It has to have the basic voice dialing functions of the blackberry.

C) Bluetooth - OBEX is just the start. PAN and tethering and such are staples of the BB platform, and Palm needs to address this.

The Pre will not be able to challenge the iPhone directly with most of it's core user base until the App store is much mor heavily populated. But it's within striking distance of the blackberry now, and with a few fixes I predict a lot of users will switch.

One provisio. Sprint is a weak link here - a lot of core BB users will need the Pre on VZ or AT&T before moving because of corporate contracts, etc... But a lot of the prosumer BB community won't care if Sprint doesn't keep botching the launch...

The Pre is a great start - but palm development is going to have to "go to afterburner" for a awhile more to really encroach on the RIMM user base.
    "I understand why the media likes to compare the the Pre to the iPhone"

The media? When I went into my local Sprint store to check out the pre they handed my a pamphlet comparing the Pre to the Iphone. Its not the media bro. Its EVERYONE.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    "I understand why the media likes to compare the the Pre to the iPhone"

The media? When I went into my local Sprint store to check out the pre they handed my a pamphlet comparing the Pre to the Iphone. Its not the media bro. Its EVERYONE.
    Wow, not smart of Sprint I think. The comparison to the BB is much more favorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Wow, not smart of Sprint I think. The comparison to the BB is much more favorable.
    With all of the these functionality omisions at launch, I would say just pumping up the virtues of the OS is the most favorable. And as strange as it sounds, from reading these forums at least, it seams that most of the new owners are Iphone converts.
    I kinda agree with this. Ive been a BB user for about 4 years now & had grown tired of their lack of vision & progress. The OS is pretty stagnant IMO. And isnt ready for the world of touch at all (hello, Storm).

Dont get me wrong, BBs are VERY functional & what they do they do well, but it was time to move on. And so far, Im trying to get used to the lack of customization on the Pre vs what I had on BB, but overall I like it.
    I understand why the media likes to compare the the Pre to the iPhone, but I think the Pre has a much bigger chance of hurting RIMM significantly.
    You are dreaming... or rather having a nightmare.

BB phones are part an ecosystem... iPhone is part of an ecosystem... WM has a major ecosystem going...

Palm is trying to create an ecosystem, we will see how that works out.

Palm Won't catch BB anytime soon... palm would have a better chance at dethroning apple. And even that won't happen anytime this decade.

After Microsoft ramps up WM and BB gets their act together with touch screens, I'd be interested to see if Palm will have even broke even (financially).

Palm should look overseas... focus on updating their devices... heck, the fact the palm pro has so many issues not addressed, goes to show that palm has not changed much. It will be interesting to see if palm does update the pre as many think they will. I'm hoping they will... but the reality sucks.

At the end though, I think the biggest failure of your post was not to mention GOOGLE... That the wild card in all of this... see if google throws real money into their mobile os... or maybe even acquire palm.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    A) EAS just has to work. PIN's, self signed certificates, remote wipe, etc... this all needs to be fixed and fast or the Pre will get a bad rep in corp IT depts soon. No one likes users calling up and demanding crypto certs, config changes, etc... They must have not had a very diverse beta group to not have caught these.

One provisio. Sprint is a weak link here - a lot of core BB users will need the Pre on VZ or AT&T before moving because of corporate contracts, etc... But a lot of the prosumer BB community won't care if Sprint doesn't keep botching the launch...
    Palm is not going to win over corporate IT depts anytime soon. Many have a policy of only allowing company owned PDAs to attach to the corporate servers. Many of those have a Blackberry only policy. Palm didn't make a good impression on corporate IT depts with the Treo so they may not get a chance with the Pre. They probably like the fact that the BB browser is so crummy. Sprint is of course another problem, some companies require their smartphones to work outside the US.

I am not sure why the Blackberry is popular as a prosumer device. The browser sucks and the email and text messaging aren't that wonderful.
    ^ I loved the texting on my Pearl when I had one. Email and text ARE what RIM does best.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No way. The Pre doesn't even meet minimum security requirements for many enterprise settings, and making an assumption that it will in the future is a definite risk. I would love to have a Pre...if it only provided the same enterprise security that the iPhone does with Exchange. But it doesn't. If they don't fix that fast, they will lost any chance of heavily infiltrating BB sales.
    In response to the OP, Sprint's own memo said "don't sell to the wrong people" and that meant people who need to go through IT departments. Apparently RIM is still going to do well in the corporate world at least.

Prosumer may be different but with the current texting limitations posted, I don't know. Many people with prosumer BBs are heavy texters, at least around here.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!