Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I received mixed messages regarding this... Please go to...

留园网:海外华人的网络家园-海外中文第一站-6park.com

It is a Chinese language news website and see what you get?

Or go to

news.Sina.Com.Cn

Thank you in advance...
    I see a bunch of Chinese characters on 6park.com I assume anyone who reads Chinese could read this page.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." 桳. Ron Hubbard
    Asian languages, If you have contacts in kanji or kana(Japanese) it will display. Web browsing Asian languages are well supported. Email, however is epic fail.
    In the main WebOS interface, only English and Spanish languages are supported.
    No worries, I can receive emails in chinese, and it shows up on the pre perfectly. Course, I can only recognize about 100 characters, but that's irrelevant.
    So, it seems the news on this continues to be mixed. Some people report it working and others report it doesn't.

At least all the reports I've heard (so far) have consistently said that Asian characters show up in the web browser, which is something.
    This site has pictures that confirm display of Chinese AND Japanese.

Asian Language Display
    Don't worry, buddy. The browser supports Asian languages perfectly! And the email app supports GBK encoded mails.
    What we Chinese need is a Chinese input method:P
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    OK, I can confirm that Chinese (both traditional and simplified) works perfectly fine in the browser as you can see in these screen shots:

I am not 100% sure about other apps though, I noticed some chinese emails I got only rendered correctly in the subject line, but the body were all scrambled, yet some other emails showed up perfectly fine.

Here is a weekly email I get from a Japanese hotel booking site. As I said email is borked.
    I hope you don't have problems logging on to their website?
    Like I said, web browser is fine and contacts is fine but email app is borked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-06_130616.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Like I said, web browser is fine and contacts is fine but email app is borked.
    This is highly unfortunate - I'm hoping Palm considers this a bug and fixes it at some point...
    japanese IME coming? iphone has it... would be a huge downer to see this thing stay as linguistically challenged as the stupid zune
    +1 vote for a Japanese IME. Unfortunately I don't know of any reason to think that they plan to add one.

By the way, another question for people that have the Pre - how about Chinese or Japanese in the music player? Do Asian characters in song titles and artist names show up?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    i have no problems at all with chinese on the pre in the email app....

Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    i have no problems at all with chinese on the pre in the email app....
    Did you get the firmware update to 1.0.2? How about anyone for whom it's not working, did you guys get the firmware update? I'm wondering if it didn't work but the firmware update fixes it.

Another possibility is that it depends on the encoding of the message. Perhaps some encodings work and others don't.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    yep, running 1.0.2.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harajukukei View Post
    japanese IME coming? iphone has it... would be a huge downer to see this thing stay as linguistically challenged as the stupid zune
    I only have 1 mp3 that is in chinese (simplified) and it's all scrambled gibberish
    I do hope Palm realizes that there are users who care about this. (Some of us study foreign languages, and the United States is a country of immigrants after all!)

Apple seems to consider language support a selling point. On their specs page they have a section "Languages" that describes the supported languages. Come on Palm, more foreign language support, please!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast