Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's a good start that the browser and email (at least for some encodings) display Asian fonts. With regard to input, I think it's more likely that third-party apps will address this sooner than Palm, unless Palm has immediate plans for marketing the GSM Pre in Asia.

For now, I am running Pleco, a fantastic Chinese dictionary app, in Classic. It seems to work reasonably well except for the handwriting recognition. I miss the stylus! Fingertips are just not precise enough, and the screen doesn't register very short strokes. The Pleco folks are coming up with a new version that's a little better optimized for character input in Classic.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Looks like at least a Chinese font is pre-loaded on Pre.

Guess the garbage characters are caused by incorrect/incompatible encoding, some webpages and emails are not properly declared for what they're using.

WebOS probably uses Unicode internally.

Think Palm will eventually include some Asian IME, when she starts to sell these things in the Asia. Whether these IME will be included in the devices sold in the Western hemisphere remains to be seen through. Also, what about third-party IME?

Afterall, I don't think Palm is that stupid not to include Asian IME. That just isn't a top priority right now through.

Let's have a little patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    With regard to input, I think it's more likely that third-party apps will address this sooner than Palm, unless Palm has immediate plans for marketing the GSM Pre in Asia.
    I'm sure you're right, in fact we don't have any knowledge that Palm will ever add Asian language input. I wish they would, though, because third-party solutions for this kind of thing are always a little kludgy.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post
    I'm sure you're right, in fact we don't have any knowledge that Palm will ever add Asian language input. I wish they would, though, because third-party solutions for this kind of thing are always a little kludgy.
    It will be stupid for Palm not to, if she wants to sell any significant numbers in Asia.

FYI, the last generation Palm devices sold in Asia are bundled with some 3rd-party domestic language support software.

Case in point, Android didn't have any when it was first made available as well. And IIRC there are now multiple solutions available already.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugking View Post
    It will be stupid for Palm not to, if she wants to sell any significant numbers in Asia.
    Absolutely, I agree. Although who knows if they'll make it available on U.S. models (but I hope they do). Has anyone heard of any Asian carriers that are expected to get the Pre? That would be a good sign.

FYI, the last generation Palm devices sold in Asia are bundled with some 3rd-party domestic language support software.
    It seems like a bad thing to me that they didn't build all the support into the OS. But I'll admit, if we get anything that works then I'll be happy, third party or not.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Absolutely, I agree. Although who knows if they'll make it available on U.S. models (but I hope they do). Has anyone heard of any Asian carriers that are expected to get the Pre? That would be a good sign.
    I hope she will as well. But if Palm keeps on unofficially releasing the ROM images, guess it won't be a big problem to hack it even if it's not officially sanctioned.

Of course, it would be better if it's included by default, or easily downloadable/installable upon request.

For the carrier, I remember there was some strings of of SingTel in there?

Anyway, I'm not worrying about this. And it's still early. I for one will welcome the 2nd iteration of WebOS when the GSM version becomes available.

It seems like a bad thing to me that they didn't build all the support into the OS. But I'll admit, if we get anything that works then I'll be happy, third party or not.
    Don't worry, if Palm is that stupid again then you probably shouldn't buy from her anymore.
    Last edited by bugking; 06/11/2009 at 01:41 PM.
    BUMP

If Palm added Japanese IME, I'd buy two Pres tonight.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
    If Palm added Japanese IME, I'd buy two Pres tonight.
    I'd rush immediately to the nearest Sprint store to get one, too.
    sorry, but I'm curious, what does IME stand for?
    IME stands for "Input Method Editor." They are used with languages like Japanese or Chinese that have too many characters for you to be able to type them directly. For instance, in Japanese, the IME usually lets you type what you want to enter phonetically. Then you press a key and it converts the phonetic spelling into the appropriate characters. There may be more than one word that sounds the same, so if it picks the wrong characters you can get a list of possibilities and select the right one. Basically it lets you type without needing to have a key for each character (since for Chinese or Japanese, that would mean thousands of keys)!
    To the people who had Japanese or Chinese e-mail messages that wouldn't display - I'd be very interested to hear if there's any change with the new 1.03 update.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I just checked, still having the same issues. What is strange is that the emails that my friend sent me, most of them displayed perfectly fine, while like 1 or 2 of them won't work and she hasn't changed settings or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    For now, I am running Pleco, a fantastic Chinese dictionary app, in Classic.
    That's interesting. With copy and paste in the new firmware 1.2, I can see a possible workaround. If you install programs like diopen 4.0 or CJKOS in classic, perhaps you can copy and paste those characters out of classic and into webos. Granted, it would be a major pain and using the tiny screen made for a stylus would really stink.
    First of all, I don't think Classic supports exchanging clipboard contents with WebOS apps. Second, I'm not sure CJKOS handles Chinese characters using Unicode?

OTOH, it would probably work now to use a Chinese input website to convert PinYin into Chinese characters, then copy/paste into email messages, etc. I'll have to give that a try.
    Just tried it with chinese-tools.com, and it works. Took me a little time to figure it out, but it works. I'll try Input-King next.
    Input King also works. The problem is you need to scroll back and forth between input and character selection windows constantly. But in principle, it works, although laboriously.
    The Chinese input on MDBG.net also works, and you can see both the PinYin input and the character candidate list at the same time, with no scrolling needed.

So, this seems like a viable way to enter Chinese text, at least, although it would be great if someone could write a handwriting-based character input app.
    Just an update:

These character input method web sites give a window with the most common 9 characters first, which you choose with a number from 1-9. The problem comes when the character you want is not in that first list. Unfortunately, the Pre doesn't have cursor keys, so with some of these sites there's no way to access the other characters. However, with the Input King web site, you can tap on the arrow leading to the other characters. So that's the site I'd recommend for this.
    Ok, I really dun get how 2 use the input king~Doesn't matter which type of input I tried, they all seem 2 appear same list..and I couldn't get any of the words I wanted >_<
    Have you tried it from your computer first? It might be easier to see how to use it on a larger screen.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast