Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Been searching all day for this answer, have not found it, so i might as well ask for a favor from someone.

I did not jump ship yet from my 755P...Biggest fear is losing my SERO, and if the email does not work out for me.

Can someone, whom is/was an avid Chatteremail user compare the WebOS Email client with Chatter?

Questions:

1) ability to create a seperate smtp profile? (reply from a different email alias)

2) How does AOL IMAP IDLE work with the Pre?

3) In Chatter, to move the email to a new folder, simply hit opt + M to move... how hard/easy is it to move an email to a different foler on the Pre?

4) I have 5 email accounts, how will it perform with 5 email accounts?

5) Overall, is the Pre a replacement for Chatter? Is it similar/alike? What are the differences?

TIA
    Last edited by trim81; 06/07/2009 at 04:04 AM.
    I will be able to answer this later, I have had chatter for many years. I have not configured my mail yet.
  3.    #3  
    yes please.... I NEED a vital solution for a chatteremail replacement...

of all the reviews I see are people loving the the multimedia portion of the phone, but I need to know the email-aspects of the phone, and will it keep up with my 5 email per 15 minute (no joke) addiction.
    Hey there,

I am a long time chattermail user, and have found that it appears this phone does support imap idle. I was able to send email from several different accounts into the phone, and they respond right away. It's like owning a blackberry

Andy
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I too loved chatteremail and miss it dearly.

I'm not convinced the IMAP idle truly works all the time, even with gmail. It does seem to work better than the iphone and g1. But not sure if it's better than chatter, yet..Haven't had it long enough to know for sure that its reliable.

The email app does allow you to switch "from" accounts when you reply, but unlike chatter, you can't set up a separate SMTP profile. It has be a full incoming and outgoing account.

There does not seem to be any keyboard shortcuts in the mail app which would have been nice. You can move emails around *within the same account* using the "move" menu item. You cannot move them between accounts.

Chatter was very customizable. The email app on the pre is not. At all.
    It does have a unified inbox which I was very happy to see. Whats not so great is there is nothing that tells you what account the email came in on. No color coding like chatter. I really home they add this at some point.

No notification options. Either its on or off. If you turn on the sound, the vibrate option disappears and is forced on. No "bug me" options. And worse than that, there are no external indications that you've received a notifications. I don't see why they didn't use the button LED to indicate that there is a new notification. So if you walked away from your phone, you need to turn it on to see if you missed a call, email or text.

So far it's the closest to chatter I've seen. That may have something to do with Marc, the guy that wrote chatter, working for Palm for a bit. Comparable? Not really. But you are comparing a mature product with one that just barely came out. We can hope that it will be updated with some useful features soon.
    I read elsewhere that email sync cannot be configured to have 'sleep times' like Chatter. My wife would kill me if I forget to set my email notifications to silent and she is woken up by a 3am email from Amazon with tomorrow's specials!!

Another issue for me is that some of my email is pre-filtered on the server side and never hits my inbox, but for some folders, I'd like to be notified when mail arrives into that folder.

Again, these are both fixable with an update, but I expected a little more, even for a V1.0 device and software.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Another issue for me is that some of my email is pre-filtered on the server side and never hits my inbox, but for some folders, I'd like to be notified when mail arrives into that folder.
    This is an important feature missing on the Pre. Chatter assigns mailboxes to individual folders and allows seperate syncing and notification options on each folder. The Pre just supports push on the inbox of each account.

The other missing feature is searching. You also can't sort but Chatter's sorting features aren't that flexible either.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    No, no sleep times on the pre. But I never used them in chatter, I simply either menu-x to shutdown chatter or turned off notifications manually. I go to bed and wake up at different times so the schedule thing never worked for me.

You can specify a root folder for each account. So if you only had a couple of subfolders, you could set up separate accounts for each folder. Not ideal by any means. I don't even see a way to view subfolders that are in the inbox.

I do miss the gmail search that was in the G1. But using outlook, I'm used to having pretty crappy search.

Has anyone figured out how to change your "favorites" on the account view screen?
    Wow, I must not have used Chatter in the same ways as many of you, because I find it's just as good, with an interface that looks a million times nicer... But I just have two email accounts and I don't move between folders (or even look at other folders) or anything like that. Searching within the mail application would definitely be nice though. I don't even want it in universal search, I just want to be able to type while in the email app and have it find the message I want.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Wait! Hold the phone.
    I dont know how I didnt figure this out before.

You can view the other folders as well as the contents from the account view. I just didnt see it before. You also select which accounts are in your "favorites" which get aggregated into the "all inboxes" view.. If you select a subfolder as a favorite, the contents of the subfolder does show up in the "all mailboxes" view. It does seem to sync the folder and display unread item count, but does not seem to provide notifications for emails that go directly into the subfolder.
  11.    #11  
    I am the original poster of this thread... Happy to say I upgraded to a Pre last night at radio shack, typing on it right now.

This email client is the closeset to chatter I have seen as well.. But it is lacking multi color summary mailboxes. And you cannot reply to from a different smtp.

In the end, I had to redo a few of my email accounts and pulling it directly from the imap server, and not forwarding mails like I did before..forwarded to aol mail,

Still, I find the email client works GOOD... And I do recommend this phone

tso far my complaints are the low signal issue and the tiny *** keyboard!! (but I gotten used to it...still wish it was as-sized as the 755p)
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Ok, either I'm an ***** or things are inconsistent. It seems All inboxes view is limited to just the inboxes, as the name might imply..
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    And you cannot reply to from a different smtp
    Like I said, as long as you have the account set up, you CAN reply from any account. When replying, just tap the top "From" line and it brings up a list of all the accounts you have on the phone. Even though I aggregate all my accounts into a single gmail account, I set up the accounts I want to send from with "manual" sync, so I can select which account it's from when I reply.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
    Like I said, as long as you have the account set up, you CAN reply from any account. When replying, just tap the top "From" line and it brings up a list of all the accounts you have on the phone. Even though I aggregate all my accounts into a single gmail account, I set up the accounts I want to send from with "manual" sync, so I can select which account it's from when I reply.
    ah I see your point.. ya thats possible..but with lots of replies, it might be too cumbersome and confusing.
    I'm a long time Chatter user with Fastmail as my IMAP idle provider. Here are my biggest issues. I can see Marc Blank's influence on the Pre's mail client, but I can also see why he left before it was released. I can understand why Marc has publicly said that his upcoming Android client will be the best email client.

1. reply to alias adresses - I have my Comcast email forwarded to Fastmail - when I reply to an email I want it to appear to come from Comcast - I entered my Comcast address in the "reply to" field in the account setup for my Fastmail account, but Comcast is not given as an option when I reply on the Pre - is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

2. Subfolders are not pushed - only the inbox is pushed and the subfolders are manual - I haven't tried setting up the subfolder as a separate account with the subfolder as the root - will both my Fastmail inbox and subfolder push if I set them up as separate accounts?

3. Color coding for the merged inbox is sorely missed.

4. Emails are not numbered so you don't know when you've scrolled to the last one

5. No shortcut to get back to the merged inbox (summary view)
    Turbo2ltr - I tried your workaround setting up my Comcast account as a manual account that is never synced just so i could use the address as a reply to - I couldn't get the Comcast account to set up...oh well, guess I have to post a different thread to figure out what's causing the problem - I'm thinking that the "reply to" field in account setup is only for existing accounts - will have to test this next
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    5. No shortcut to get back to the merged inbox (summary view)
    Just curious why the back gesture after reading an email doesn't work for you to go back to it? Or is there something I'm misunderstanding?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just curious why the back gesture after reading an email doesn't work for you to go back to it? Or is there something I'm misunderstanding?
    Sorry...I wasn't clear about my point...guess what I miss is being able to cycle through accounts...with the Pre if I don't want to use the merged inbox and want to cycle between accounts I have to go to the mail app in between, but it's entirely possible I'm being dumb and I'm missing something obvious
    For all you ex-Chatter users - how is your battery life? How many mailboxes are you pushing and how many emails do you get a day? I have four mailboxes and get about 400 emails a day (financial markets related - not all are read) and my battery lasts 6-8 hours. My Treo 650 lasted about 12-14 hours. I'd hate to have to go back to my old 650, or even worse, get a Blackberry.
    Dumb question will chatter get ported to the Pre? When?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast