Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tadnishida View Post
    Dumb question will chatter get ported to the Pre? When?
    Highly unlikely as the developer, Marc Blank, left Palm and is now working on an email client for Android.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    For all you ex-Chatter users - how is your battery life? How many mailboxes are you pushing and how many emails do you get a day? I have four mailboxes and get about 400 emails a day (financial markets related - not all are read) and my battery lasts 6-8 hours. My Treo 650 lasted about 12-14 hours. I'd hate to have to go back to my old 650, or even worse, get a Blackberry.
    Well I dont get 400 emails a day....but I get quite a few. I'm only syncing a gmail account, and have the others set to manual. If I dont talk on the phone that day and just surf the web and check email (mostly on wifi), i have had over 70% battery left after an 17 hour day.

I've seen a low of <20% after a 17 hour day when I talked on it for 2 hours during the day.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    Turbo2ltr - I tried your workaround setting up my Comcast account as a manual account that is never synced just so i could use the address as a reply to - I couldn't get the Comcast account to set up...oh well, guess I have to post a different thread to figure out what's causing the problem - I'm thinking that the "reply to" field in account setup is only for existing accounts - will have to test this next
    Understand that the SMTP server and the "reply-to" that is the email address that replys are sent to are two different things. You can (sometimes) use any email address for the reply-to regardless of what SMTP server you are using. In other words, if you want to people to reply to your comcast email address, you can still use fastmail SMTP server to send the email, but simply set the reply-to to something else (this is assuming fastmail allows you to do this. Gmail does not. Well they do, but it's more complicated..)

Another problem you might run into is that comcast may not allow outgoing mail on their smtp server from outside their network so people can't use it for spam. They may not even allow you to connect to the server. I'm not sure what you mean that you could not get the comcast account set up but this may have been the problem.

You do need to set up the "full" account in order for the pre to accept the info. i.e. you cant just set up an incoming or an outgoing server, and all credentials need to be correct. Kinda dumb for us "smart" people, but smart for the dumb people.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
    Understand that the SMTP server and the "reply-to" that is the email address that replys are sent to are two different things. You can (sometimes) use any email address for the reply-to regardless of what SMTP server you are using. In other words, if you want to people to reply to your comcast email address, you can still use fastmail SMTP server to send the email, but simply set the reply-to to something else (this is assuming fastmail allows you to do this. Gmail does not. Well they do, but it's more complicated..)

Another problem you might run into is that comcast may not allow outgoing mail on their smtp server from outside their network so people can't use it for spam. They may not even allow you to connect to the server. I'm not sure what you mean that you could not get the comcast account set up but this may have been the problem.

You do need to set up the "full" account in order for the pre to accept the info. i.e. you cant just set up an incoming or an outgoing server, and all credentials need to be correct. Kinda dumb for us "smart" people, but smart for the dumb people.
    I always use Fastmail's smtp server to send mail as it's very flexible with aliases. I got my Comcast POP account set up (it was a password problem) and have it to manually sync (although it sometimes syncs on its own - that's another isssue). So, when I send a new email through Fastmail, I can make it seem like it's coming from my Comcast address. Before I set up the Comcast account, it wasn't available as an alias. Therefore, the Comcast account is set up only to be an alias. Am I missing a better solution? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I too noticed that manual accounts sometimes sync automatically as well.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12