Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I'm having a few problems with my touch screen, and I'm not sure if it's hardware or software. About a fourth of the time I have trouble getting the screen to register my finger taps/swipes, but not in any particular area of the screen. I can sit on the home screen with no cards up and tap all day and see the little water drops everywhere, but inside the Application launcher and Contact list, some swipes/taps just don't get recognized.

I've also got a problem where every now and then the screen goes crazy with random taps without me touching it. I'll be in the middle of setting a ringtone or something, and then suddenly water drops start appearing in random spots all over the screen selecting options for me. I've tried cleaning the screen, but there's really nothing on it when this occurs.

The phone doesn't feel warm either. Anyone else have issues like this?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I guess I should make a mention that I have naturally clammy (greasy/sweaty) hands. Don't know if that'd play a role in it or not.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    A reset almost seemed to fix it, but then it went crazy with random screen taps again while I was going through my contacts. Not good for the phone to start randomly dialing people at 3:40am in the morning. Now I'm somewhat afraid to play around with it until after 9am. =\
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Wow that sucks Jackalo. I've had a couple times where it seems I touch the top right corner, when I dont THINK I did, and the date-battery-wifi-bluetooth screen will open, but.... I may be brushing against it.

I believe there is something wrong with your phone. My first 24 hours now I've had no problems to the extent that you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I'm trying a hard reset (reset + erase flash + erase storage) to see if that solves the issue.
    Does the phone have a touch calibration tool anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
    Does the phone have a touch calibration tool anywhere?
    I was going to ask the same thing. I'm not experiencing any touch troubles, but I looked for a recalibration tool and I haven't found one. My Instinct had one...not sure where or if there's one on the Pre!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Well, it's not as bad as it was, but it still has a random tap every now and then. It's weird, because while scrolling through my photos, it's nearly perfect with just about instant response, but anywhere else seems to be laggy.

I suppose I'm going to try and exchange it whenever my local corporate store gets more in stock.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalo View Post
    Well, it's not as bad as it was, but it still has a random tap every now and then. It's weird, because while scrolling through my photos, it's nearly perfect with just about instant response, but anywhere else seems to be laggy.

I suppose I'm going to try and exchange it whenever my local corporate store gets more in stock.
    I think that is the best thing. Hopefully it will reproduce the problem when in the store.

More likely it will work perfectly in the store, like my jeep does when I take it to my mechanic. "no I swear, it was making a loud grinding noise"
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I recorded a video of it with my HTC Touch Pro, so I've got all the evidence I need. =D
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I recorded a video of it with my HTC Touch Pro, so I've got all the evidence I need. =D
    Well very good thinking, and very good luck with your next Pre!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Here's another video I was able to record, so the problem is definitely still there.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Here's another video I was able to record, so the problem is definitely still there.

Oh yeah, that IS bad. Hope you get a new one ASAP
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    It's almost kind of soothing to let it sit there at the home screen with no cards open and watch the rain drops. lol
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    lol, its a nice gentle spring rain
    I have the same exact problem. I have done a full erase from the settings menu. I did find, however, some "testing tools" in the Device Info app, in the menu.

I went through all of the tools, and it says my screen is working properly. My guess is it is a software bug, and a bad one at that. I hope we have a fix shortly... if I don't throw my Pre though a window first!

The only way I can seem to prevent my Pre from trippin' (my random taps are a LOT worse than the video in this thread) is to yank the battery. Very frustrating.
    Thanks,

Chad Garrett
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    The video I posted is about the average amount of random taps I get, but I have seen a "thunderstorm" on the home screen several times now.

I've powered off my phone and ESN swapped back to my Touch Pro. 'Tis a sad day for me.
    Watch it be something like super delayed taps. Remember yesterday when you touched that 1 button and nothing happened, then you clicked it 70 other times? That thunderstorm was the 70 other clicks :P.

In all seriousness though, have you tried yelling or swearing at it? It may not fix it but it sure helps.
    The video I posted is about the average amount of random taps I get, but I have seen a "thunderstorm" on the home screen several times now.

I've powered off my phone and ESN swapped back to my Touch Pro. 'Tis a sad day for me.
    Ahh, the thunderstorm. That is a great way to describe it. As sad as this is, I am glad I am not the only one. I am going to call today and see if there are any other reports. I will likely take it in this week, but my concern is that there will not be any Pre's to swap with. Or better yet, they push out a software update ASAP. I really like what Palm is trying to do, but they need to address these issues ASAP!

Let me know what happens Jackalo, I will post here any updates on my end.
    Thanks,

Chad Garrett
    Quote Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
    Watch it be something like super delayed taps. Remember yesterday when you touched that 1 button and nothing happened, then you clicked it 70 other times? That thunderstorm was the 70 other clicks :P.

In all seriousness though, have you tried yelling or swearing at it? It may not fix it but it sure helps.
    I have come close to smashing it with my fist!

Seriously, I thought it might be delayed taps too... but when it starts amping with 50-100 taps... those aren't delayed. This is a real issue. Not sure what could be causing it though. The diagnostics say its fine...

(Diagnostics are located in the Device App Menu, FYI)
    Thanks,

Chad Garrett
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast