1.    #1  
    I've seen a quite a few posts regarding this subject so I'd thought I post a how to thread on this subject. Most of you will find that when signing onto your AIM account all of your screen names will automatically appear in your Contact List. Well this is not good if you have over 50 screen names. Here's the best way to fix this problem.

In order to make sense of this you have to think of AIM as a linked account i.e. Facebook or Google. For instance if you have a screen name jdoe123 that belonged to a John Doe in your Contact List, then the ideal way would be to "link" that screen name to John Doe's contact card, and here's a simple way of doing it.

Go to the AIM buddy list, then click on a screen name i.e. jdoe123. A new screen will appear enabling you to chat with jdoe123. Once your on the chat screen with jdoe123, click on the top gray bar where the screen name is shown. This will bring you to another screen which is essentially the screen names contact card. Click on the contacts picture and a drop down will appear. Click on "Link more profiles" then select the desired person in your contact list to attach that screen name too. Then wait a few minutes and the Contact Screen will remove the screen name and add it to YOUR specified contact person.

Hope this makes sense, feel free to ask questions!
    Or in AIM on your computer you can edit your buddy, and make his nickname the name you have for him in your phone. This will automatically link him to his other profile.
    What about the junk contacts in your buddy list? After logging in w/ my Pre, I decided to weed out stale contacts with an outside AIM client (Meebo). My buddy list is now updated with fewer screen names. The Messaging app now correctly reflects my tidy new buddy list, however; the old screen names (that I have since deleted!) are still in the contacts app! Furthermore, they cannot be deleted! I have tried syncing to no avail. A band-aid fix right now is to just link all the junk AIM screen names in contacts together.
    I seem to be able to remove AIM screen names from my Contacts after I removed my AIM account from Messaging (log out, then delete the account).

I expect that once I clean up my Buddy List with iChat on my computer, I'll be able to re-add the account and have only my newly scrubbed list.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by maskott View Post
    I seem to be able to remove AIM screen names from my Contacts after I removed my AIM account from Messaging (log out, then delete the account).

I expect that once I clean up my Buddy List with iChat on my computer, I'll be able to re-add the account and have only my newly scrubbed list.

Hope this helps.
    Have fun re-linking your AIM contacts!