Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    There does seem to be a disturbing trend of late for companies to launch products with buggy software and then fix the problems over time with updates. It's just become an accepted way of life, be it desktop operating systems, software programs or phones, and pretty much all of the companies are guilty of it, so no sense pointing fingers in any particular direction here.

Historically, when you bought a cell phone, you were pretty much stuck with what it was... updates didn't add new features (usually), they just squashed bugs. Apple certainly bucked that trend with the iPhone, actually adding useful new features into many of their updates, and I think there's no reason to think that Palm won't be doing the same. And whatever holes are left by these companies will surely be picked up by 3rd party applications.

Is it unreasonable to expect perfection from a launch day device? Unfortunately, in this day & age, the answer is probably yes. Early adopters have become late-stage beta testers, whether they like it or not. As the race between companies for The Next Big Thing intensifies, this trend will only get worse. Complain to the companies in question and hope they listen. Or better yet, vote with your wallet and invest in a new product only when you're sure it's out of the guinea pig phase...
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Sounds like what the Apple fanboys said about the iPhone and cut and paste. How may years had it been, and Apple may just be adding it this year?
    It's being added this month. I have it on my iPhone. Apple of course should have had it since day one, but their method is amazingly slick!
    Quote Originally Posted by JRBTempe View Post

Is it unreasonable to expect perfection from a launch day device? Unfortunately, in this day & age, the answer is probably yes. Early adopters have become late-stage beta testers, whether they like it or not.
    I think you're right, but unfortunately Palm is marketing a 1.0 device against 2.0, 3.0, and 6.0 devices. It may be too late for a 1.0 device to make it against the competition. The typical consumer isn't going to look at the pre and say, well, they'll probably add x and y in a few months. They're going to say well, the iPhone and Google phone do x and y and z, and the Pre doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    It's being added this month. I have it on my iPhone. Apple of course should have had it since day one, but their method is amazingly slick!
    Yes, it's being added this month. My point is it took Apple years to do it. If it takes Palm as long to add features to the Pre, those who bought it this weekend may be mighty unhappy.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I like the idea of waiting a couple of months on the dime of the customer who just waited on line and paid for a product that does not deliver. No thanks , why wait when you can have it all now in an iphone or blackberry bold or 8900.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hermetics View Post
    I like the idea of waiting a couple of months on the dime of the customer who just waited on line and paid for a product that does not deliver. No thanks , why wait when you can have it all now in an iphone or blackberry bold or 8900.
    I agree with you Hermetics but there were enough punters out there who bought version 1.0 of the iPhone weren't there?

Regarding the earlier poster who was concerned about the disturbing trend of using the initial release to perform Beta testing...whilst it is a trend its not one that is as bad as it seems. Everything is easier to spot in hindsight and the internet demands information and product more quickly all the time.

No matter how much beta testing they do there will be someone out there that says they didn't do enough.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123