Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Yes you expect better but no matter what history/experience you may have when you push the envelope (even a little) you will get errors. There is no 1st generation device in this area that comes out that doesn't have issues. The iPhoen did the HTC Touch pro and HTC diamond all did and so it is unreasonable to expect that Palm wouldn't

The proof in the pudding will be to see how they react to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    ... People have minor issues and predicted the demise of Palm blah blah. This happens every phone release for the last 8 years.
    Cglaguna, good to see you here! I've been with sprint and palm products since the Palm IIIxe and then the Handspring Visor and the Sprint equivalent of the Visorhone. (Yep, this forum started as VISORcentral!) As I listen to "U2 and Greenday Radio" (Pandora radio app on the Pre), I have a hard time seeing this platform of going anywhere but "up". Yep, by my obervations, battery life does "suck" under certain circumstances (ie using TeleNav on a ride from Worcester, MA back to Boston on a device that I less than half charged resulted in hitting the 10% mark 2/3 or the way home), but there will be ways to mitigate such issues (car charger for trips and included wall charger when using wifi at home/work). This is a really compelling platform from Day One! I've seen one software problem (stuck charging indicator when I put the device back on the charger once back home) and one hardware issue (minor overheating appears to wash out a spot on the lower right of the display), but I can tell you if that's really a problem that will kill the device, that Sprint will take care of me. A also have to say that Sprint has handled the launch very well. I wasn't sure whether I would be buying a Pre on day-1 or not - My son was participating in the Massacusetts State Middle School Science Fair, and my primary concern for the day was getting him there and registered by 8AM on launch day. After I was sure my son was set-up with no problems, I drove to a nearby Sprint store arriving maybe around 9:30am and had to wait behind two people in line (buying phones together on the same plan). I was out of the store by 10AM, and that's with the Sprint rep setting up my email, processing a discount I applied for, and fully explaining to me how to use the phone. Both she and Sprint did a first rate execution of the launch and I think that both the new Palm and the new Sprint will function very well!

-- Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 06/07/2009 at 07:56 AM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I've been a Sprint customer for 7 years now, and I'm happy with the initial offering that the Pre is. It's not perfect, but if Palm actively updates with bugfixes and support, then there's no reason this phone can't compete with the iPhone and steal some of its thunder.

Let's face it, Apple rules the market, and the i____ name is a household one. Palm has a good contender and as long as they keep on top of it I'll be a happy camper.

I do hope that they listen to the community and consider some of the requests we have for future feature additions/changes. Your best R&D is your consumers, so pay attention!
    Im guessing it will be at least a week for an update. It stinks exchange dosent work for me (no SSL) but its not gona make me return the phone right now. Since palm already did 1.02 a few days ago, I feel better.
    So far I love the phone! I plan to keep mine!
    I thing you need to be understanding about initial issues with a brand new phone. I think the thought and the time that whent into the OS is great, and it shows, but as we all know there were palm pre's out in the wild months before the launch. your telling me none of these units had issues like the Pre Pee spots on the bottom, or the thunderstorm of presses? Now personally i have owned alot of phones, and i have a jailbroken iphone. The iphone has its place but im extremely happy with the pre. Even though i have the pre pee spots on the bottom of my screen and the ocasional lockup. Im not trying to protect the whiners but i am saying that the phone was out there and the major issues people are having should have been worked out in the beta period. That is what a beta period is for. It could be a quality control issue to, since it seems to be sparatic with diffrent handsets as opposed to across the board.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Exchange does work with or without SSL certs. The only problem is if your Exchange server demands a PIN policy. I don't find this policy a prevalent one as many companies but can see how for those that do it will be a major issue.

Pragramatically this should be very easy to fix.

My MAJOR concern is that the old chestnut of performance will truly turn users away.

I have heard that there is a lag between launching applications and the time before they are useable. As developers write code this will become more prevalent if it is a problem with the OS scalability. One of the biggest benefits of Windows 7 was its speed. It stripped out the rubbish in Vista and worked very hard at making it leaner. Lets hope the patches that the top things Palm works on are
    1. Work out any hardware design flaws (if there are any - see the threads about the slider shutting down the screen)
    2. Exchange support with all security policies of remote wipe and PIN
    3. Put work into speeding up the WebOS system performance now BEFORE it is a problem. You can always do better in this department.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessh2036 View Post
    It kinda bugs me that people are complaining, yea the Pre has problems but no more than the iphone had in its first day/ year. Just wait a couple months and all these problems will be fixed and more.

so just give it time people
    Thank you! My sentiments exactly...
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    People... its been out ONE DAY, the fixes will come.
    People... its been out ONE MONTH, the fixes will come.
    People... its been out ONE YEAR, the fixes will come.
    People... the new model is coming out. Lets all rush out and buy it.

These phones weren't given to us as gifts so anyone expressing a concern with the Pre is doing so because a product they are a fan of is failing to do something they expect. Sitting back and making excuses for a corporation won't bring changes that favor the consumer. ESPECIALLY in the cell industry where customers are expected to put up with their phones flaws for 2 years then pay to upgrade despite all the unaddressed problems.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    So what will?
    Sounds like you have little faith? Is this due to bad experiences in the past?

I have had many devices from back in the days of the original Palm Pilot (and even the REX PCMCIA card !) all the way through Windoze Mobile, Apple etc and even when I got the first version of everything there was never a major problem that wasn't resolved.

Also don't get errors mixed up with wanting the device to do stuff it wasn't designed to do.

You can not realistically expect to get the first and latest of a new generation of device wthout issues. I feel lucky in a way that being in Australia by the time the GSM version hits our shores some of these issues will have been resolved. However if you asked me today whether I would put up with those issues and have a GSM version now you would get a resounding YES. Perhaps that is just me and my nature but I bet if you asked loads of other folks who can't yet have the GSM device they may say the same thing.
    Listen your average JOE is not as compassionate like the geeks on this forum there not going to want to hear there are updates on the way.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Yes and No. Based on the fact that most new generation phones have issues and yet they are usually successful (e.g. HTC Touch Pro and Diamond had major performance issues, Apple iPhone had issues almost everywhere and until the latest 3G version didn't even perform very well as a phone!!!!) I think the average Joe is sometimes more forgiving than you think.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Some people are plants.
    You mean TROLLS and iPhone fanboy

Just an observation...

It is interesting that the Android users seem much more confident and are far less likely to be trolls, fanboys, dip$hits.... than the iPhone crowd.

I guess that some iPhone users feel the need to justify their purchase by trashing others...

YMMV
    *snicker*
    Pre Fans can be pretty fickle it seems.

What happened to all the Palm Love?
    hee hee hee
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This is why we GSM users are in a good position - sure we have to wait but by the time it gets to us either problems will be fixed or we'll know if it's a lemon and not get stuck with a dud. I thank all of you early adopters for beta-testing the phone for us europeans.
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    A Pre that shuts down the screen whenever you want to use the slider is a read problem. Hardware design faults are going to really hurt the manufacturer if they do exist, be they Apple, RIM or whoever
    Mine doesn't do this, so how is it a design flaw?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessh2036 View Post
    It kinda bugs me that people are complaining, yea the Pre has problems but no more than the iphone had in its first day/ year. Just wait a couple months and all these problems will be fixed and more.

so just give it time people
    Sounds like what the Apple fanboys said about the iPhone and cut and paste. How may years had it been, and Apple may just be adding it this year?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    The enterprise crowd make up their mind not to adopt things very quickly and once there it is difficult to move their stance even in the light of improvements. Why make your life difficult Palm get some updates out ASAP

It seems to me that to get the enterprise crowd they will need to fix many EAS shortcomings. On top of the lack of PIN and remote wipe support I discovered that owners are also stating you can't send appointments in your calendar to Exchange ! WTF !!!!

Palm I do hope you are watching this forum
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Has Palm made any kind of commitment to support the Pre with software updates? The "old" Palm had a habbit of releasing a device as-is. We were lucky to get one update 6 months down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Sounds like what the Apple fanboys said about the iPhone and cut and paste. How may years had it been, and Apple may just be adding it this year?
    They are adding it this year

iPhone OS 3.0 should be out within the month (already gone through 5 betas)

-Spotlight (true universal search...as in, everything)
    -X/C/V for any text, even non-editable
    -Push notifications (I'd rather have the Pre's system!)
    -TXT forwarding
    -MMS
    -A2DP
    -And much more!

I hope Palm adds all this stuff to their phone quicker than Apple does. The way Apple has addressed the issues so far leads me to believe Palm won't; Apple didn't do it for two years and yet the iPhone sells like hot-cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3
    Has Palm made any kind of commitment to support the Pre with software updates? The "old" Palm had a habbit of releasing a device as-is. We were lucky to get one update 6 months down the line.
    Yes, they have. Most people's Pre phones are already updated with version 1.02. Further updates coming.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast