Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
    A phone without my 1000 contacts is worthless. Even for a day. All Pre sellers should make it a point to warn buyers that they can not sync the phone with their computer.....and no one knows when the situation will change.
    Are you reading any posts. You-don't-have-to-sync-with-Google.

You can sync directly to your Palm profile.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    OP = lame. troll.
    Use the data transfer assistant. It'll pull all your stuff over to your Palm Profile and you'll be as happy as anyone can be. I personally just pulled all my contacts from my iPhone via OS X's Address book to Google and just let it sync from there. Took me 5 minutes.
    Um you know they have celebrite machines at the Sprint store. I work there and we've been transferring contacts from Treos, centros, etc. since the Pre came out. Or you could have gone to Palms website where you can download a Data Transfer program to sync you stand alone outlook to your Pre.

Either way if your data is that sensitive you should be on a blackberry.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    It has been chaos trying to get my Verizon account reactivated. I called Verizon this morning at 9am and was told that the migration had not been completed and I should get Sprint to stop the transfer. I went to Best Buy. They gave me an immediate refund. Then they called Sprint to cancel the transfer. Sprint tried to get me to buy a different phone. I said no. After all I have a perfectly good 755p with Verizon. then the Mayhem started. A total of 5 calls have been dropped when I got put on hold by Verizon. One tech told me the exact opposite of the first Tech I spoke with this morning. It was a big mistake to interrupt the transfer process. My number ended up in limbo. I guess they called Sprint to finanalize the transfer and are now trying to port back to Verizon.

The amazing part is that the last tech told me I had to open a brand new account with Verizon and I needed a 12 or 24 month contract (I was on month to month yesterday morning). I asked to speak to next level support and it took about twenty seconds to tell me I could go back to month to month. It is now 7 hours that I am without a phone with a signal.

The moral of the story is this: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, GO TO SPRINT FROM VERIZON UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU WANT TO STAY WITH SPRINT.
    had the same thing happen only I was going back to sprint from Verizion a while back. It is a port issue(FCC) not a carrier issue
    The moral of the story is this: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, GO TO SPRINT FROM VERIZON UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU WANT TO STAY WITH SPRINT.
    Real moral of the story: Unnecessarily porting your number from one carrier to another just to experiment with a new, untested phone is a recipe for disaster.
  7.    #27  
    Of course I had tried the DTA from Palm. It didn't work. I had confirmation from Palm that my account with them was set up properly. I upgraded the Palm desktop to the latest version. I tried the first time. Waited two hours. My calendar was imported but no contacts. I tried a second time, waited over night. Still nothing. At that point I realized that I can't afford to be a Beta Tester with clients trying to call me or me trying to call clients.

By the time the Pre hits Verizon it should be a much more stable device. I can wait till then. Heck, with the competition, ATT and Verizon might lower their monthly fees.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    By the time the Pre hits Verizon it should be a much more stable device. I can wait till then. Heck, with the competition, ATT and Verizon might lower their monthly fees.
    In my experience with verizon (7 years) you will be waiting a long time...
    Ok i have my pre since day one.. and still kept my verizon account..

i have ZERO contacts on my Pre.. and a hundred or so phone numbers in outlook...

I'm going to try and port everything over now... i'll let you know how it goes in a few min... i'll use the link above... be back in a few. PS i don't like the cloud to much.
    UPDATE:

I already had Palm Desktop 6.2 installed on my PC.. i set it to Outlook..

i went to Palms site and found: Data Transfer Assistant

I had outlook open to the account i wanted to be synced. *** important

Download and ran it:
    accepted agreement
    Found that i have Outlook AND Palm Desktop.
    Asked me "Where is the Data You want to import"
    I chose Outlook
    next screen says to connect phone to USB (i did)
    and choose USB drive on the Pre
    I hit OK on the Pre(can't receive calls in USB mode)
    I hit next on the Data Transfer Assistant

Uh oh... <phew> outlook just popped up with an message stating "A program is trying to accesss your email and contacts.. is this ok? and gives you option to allow access for 10 minutes... i did that..

About 30 seconds later... all 500+ contacts have been transfered successfully.

no google... but i do notice my Pre has slowed down a bit... i'll see if a reset helps.

ok it's back to normal speed on it's own

Is this similar to what you are doing? or have tried? List your steps exactly as you are doing them... if you are doing them at all..
    Last edited by antonio3; 06/10/2009 at 08:56 AM.
    DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, GO TO SPRINT FROM VERIZON UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU WANT TO STAY WITH SPRINT.
    I don't think this is a Sprint & Verizon thing, it's going to be the same with any companies.. unless you get a new number.
    The numbers have to be ported and even after they're ported to the new service they still may be tied up.

Especially if you're doing it within a day or two it's probably going to take at least 48 hours for the porting to complete, even if you can use the number with your new phone.
    Looks like original poster just couldn't figure out how to transfer numbers off his Treo.. My first time doing it above was pretty simple.. sometimes if people can't figure things out.. they just scream and yell...
  13.    #33  
    Antonio,

I am not an Outlook user so I have to admit that I didn't use that option. I went straight from Palm Desktop to Palm to the phone. Again, I'm not sure why the calendar synced but the address book did not. It looks like The Missing Sync has released their Mac beta. I'm sure their Windows version will be out soon and the problem will be vaporized.

As a Post script, it took me about 24 hours and six or seven calls to custome rservice to get back to Verizon. My account info on the Web is still not correct. In retrospect, initiating the process on a Sunday complicated matters since certain departments are closed on Sprint. I think it would have been smoother if I had started the port on a weekday.
    Antonio,

I am not an Outlook user so I have to admit that I didn't use that option. I went straight from Palm Desktop to Palm to the phone. Again, I'm not sure why the calendar synced but the address book did not. It looks like The Missing Sync has released their Mac beta. I'm sure their Windows version will be out soon and the problem will be vaporized.

As a Post script, it took me about 24 hours and six or seven calls to custome rservice to get back to Verizon. My account info on the Web is still not correct. In retrospect, initiating the process on a Sunday complicated matters since certain departments are closed on Sprint. I think it would have been smoother if I had started the port on a weekday.
    Thanks for the followup!! i would have loved to see if the instructions above worked for you, there was also an option to sync directly from palm desktop.. took about 30 seconds for 500 plus contacts and all my calendar info from outlook.. I think that would have worked for you.
    Last edited by antonio3; 06/14/2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Looks like original poster just couldn't figure out how to transfer numbers off his Treo.. My first time doing it above was pretty simple.. sometimes if people can't figure things out.. they just scream and yell...
    ... and blame it on someone else!
  16. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    OP why didnt you just do the simple thing and go to any sprint store or authorized dealer, they all should have cellebrite machines and do the transfer for free (i know so i run a service center) and it takes minutes to transfer everything into your palm profile. and the reason it was such a PITA to get to verizon is because you were impatient and didnt wait for the port to go through
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    If you really like the Pre and there is no other way to get your 'sensitive" data out of your old palm to the Pre you could just suck it up and hand input your info. or are we above a little work? lol
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    After porting your number away from Verizon, your account will be automatically closed during the next cycle date.

I just talked to a very helpful Verizon CSR yesterday that explained this. I transferred to Sprint on 6/11 and my cycle was on the 20th. If I do not go back to Verizon before the 21st, I lose my account.

Now, I dont know what I would technically lose by doing this since you do not need a contract to utilize their service, contracts are only given to get you the discount off of a phone. One thing I would give up would be the ability to say I have been a Verizon customer for 7 years () as this would require me to open a new account.

Sprint did say I have to go to the store to return the phones first and then call CS to close the account/initiate port to return number to Verizon.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Of course I had tried the DTA from Palm. It didn't work. I had confirmation from Palm that my account with them was set up properly. I upgraded the Palm desktop to the latest version. I tried the first time. Waited two hours. My calendar was imported but no contacts. I tried a second time, waited over night. Still nothing. At that point I realized that I can't afford to be a Beta Tester with clients trying to call me or me trying to call clients.

Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    In my experience with verizon (7 years) you will be waiting a long time...
    I agree. I don't see Verizon lowering their cost of service anytime soon. They will slowly roll out more "features" like the Friends & Family things, etc, but probably not lower the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    My sentiments exactly
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast