Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am wondering what video formats are supported by the video player on the Pre. I love watching movies / videos on my phone on occasion. Hopefully a coreplayer for WebOS wont be to far behind.
    I know mp4 container is a supported video format. In fact, because I stream to my 360, I have many DVDs converted to mp4 using Handbrake (the default 360 preset, so I can't remember the codec used, sorry!).

Because I may have played around with different codecs, some mp4s play and other don't. The ones that do, however, look quite nice.
    i dont know but in terms of streaming audio - it doesnt like windows media! WTF even my centro did streaming WM.
    From what I've heard, older MPEG-4 formats like DivX and H.264 Baseline Profile will play on the Pre, but H.264 Main Profile will not. I think Quicktime defaults to Main Profile when it encodes, so that could be the source of incompatible video files.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    To get videos on your phone, you can do any of the following:
    • Copy videos from your computer (see “Copy Files Between Your Phone and Your
    Computer” on page 81).
    • Receive videos as email attachments (see “Open Attachments” on page 210).
    • Receive pictures as part of a multimedia message (see “Receive and View Text and
    Multimedia Messages” on page 221).
    You can view videos in the MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2
    formats. Videos play on your phone in landscape orientation.
    Use the YouTube application to view YouTube videos (see “YouTube” on page 116).
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I noticed the intro video on the Pre is in Mp4 format. I converted an avi to mp4 to see if it would play. It did play but was very pixelated and the audio was way off from the video. I was really hoping to be able to load, carry and watch a movie or two. At this point it doesn't look like it's going to happen until a third party multimedia player is available for WebOS
    My MP4's are playing fine and no audio sync issues. Used DvDtoIphone software to convert. The itunes videos with DRM won't play obviously but stripping it is fairly easy with the right software.
    If your source is DVD files, you can use Handbrake (free) to convert them over. Use the preset for iPhone and you're all set.

It gets a bit more complicated if some of your files are random divx/mp4s from the internet, as it's hard to figure it out the codec used.
  9. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by n4cer View Post
    I noticed the intro video on the Pre is in Mp4 format. I converted an avi to mp4 to see if it would play. It did play but was very pixelated and the audio was way off from the video. I was really hoping to be able to load, carry and watch a movie or two. At this point it doesn't look like it's going to happen until a third party multimedia player is available for WebOS
    I used WinAvi & converted AVI-3gp & video & audio are both in sync. Also, the file is smaller than mp4.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I tried WINAVI and it works pretty well! The Mp4 conversions look a lot better than the 3GP conversions though. I'm not very knowledgable about this stuff but I guess it has something to do with the file size? Still, it will be nice when a 3rd party devoloper comes out with software so we dont have to convert everything. That was one nice thing about windows mobile...download it...put it on your SD and open / play it with coreplayer. Converting is a real pain!
    definatly does not play divx