Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37
  1. darrylb1's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    #21  
    i'm approaching fifty. for those who do not know, vision changes during the forties. small things start to become hard to see for everybody older than 40. that means small size text on web pages, especially, is near impossible to see after 40. it will happen to each of you too!! no one gets away from the problem with seeing small things on screen. so reading glasses are the universal solution.

    i don't "need" glasses, i have better than 20/20 vision.
    i've always thought that the "killer app" that would make smartphones really explode beyond their 1% marketshare would allow middle age adults, a group who can easily afford smartphones, to actually see whats on the screen. this is the true "ergonomic" issue.

    question, is a web page on the palm pre's screen visible to someone age 50+ or will that demographic simply end up with an expensive plain old phone because they can't use, see the other features?
    Last edited by darrylb1; 06/07/2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo, changes
  2. #22  
    Thanks Kev - that was the most balanced review of the Pre I've seen to date.

    Quote Originally Posted by darrylb1
    small things start to become hard to see for everybody older than 40.
    Nice generalization. Some people begin to have trouble seeing things close up at some time in their lives (at 55, I'm still waiting for this to happen). If you need to make a generalization, try, "The effects of presbyopia can be overcome with glasses."
  3. #23  
    Fantastic review. Your background is impressive and makes the "professional" reviews seem silly and shallow in comparion.
  4. #24  
    Nice review. I have those same thoughts basically. Have to tell myself to give it time. I keep going back to the positives and they are great positives..
  5. #25  
    i loved the review. IT sounded unbiased and really good. Now maybe i can decied from iphone or palm pre? gonna wait until monday
  6.    #26  
    Thanks guys
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  7. intucket's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrylb1 View Post
    i'm approaching fifty. for those who do not know, vision changes during the forties. small things start to become hard to see for everybody older than 40. that means small size text on web pages, especially, is near impossible to see after 40. it will happen to each of you too!! no one gets away from the problem with seeing small things on screen. so reading glasses are the universal solution.

    i don't "need" glasses, i have better than 20/20 vision.
    i've always thought that the "killer app" that would make smartphones really explode beyond their 1% marketshare would allow middle age adults, a group who can easily afford smartphones, to actually see whats on the screen. this is the true "ergonomic" issue.

    question, is a web page on the palm pre's screen visible to someone age 50+ or will that demographic simply end up with an expensive plain old phone because they can't use, see the other features?
    darryl, I found the perrrrect product for you:




  8. heyyu's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #28  
    Great review! This is the type of "real user" review that I've been looking for. Thanks much!
  9.    #29  
    Thanks, heyyu!
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  10. #30  
    great review!

    I'm early 40s wear contacts and grew up 20 10. all I can say is get used to it - hold the screen farther away, get bifocals or zoom. Personally_ I like the mobile versions of most sites which has the benefit of less clutter and bigger text.

    Perhaps someday the will be an 'F' version of websites not just an ;

    Obviously typed on my pre keyboard!
    Last edited by MaxGator; 06/10/2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Pre keyboard
  11. #31  
    Dude, you have a spanking awesome camera. What is it?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    Dude, you have a spanking awesome camera. What is it?
    Haha, thanks! Canon T1i with 50mm Prime Lens + 430ex flash.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  13. #33  
    Seeing these pics makes me all excited again about the Palm Pre. I just wish it didn't have so many bugs and missing features. Heck, I could deal with all that, it's the keyboard that is the deal breaker.

    I really don't want to get an iPhone, the Pre was my last best hope for avoiding. Going this weekend to the Sprint store to play with it again in hopes of maybe being able to get used to it...
  14. timGSU's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Seeing these pics makes me all excited again about the Palm Pre. I just wish it didn't have so many bugs and missing features. Heck, I could deal with all that, it's the keyboard that is the deal breaker.

    I really don't want to get an iPhone, the Pre was my last best hope for avoiding. Going this weekend to the Sprint store to play with it again in hopes of maybe being able to get used to it...
    I thought I would type slower on the pre than the iphone, but I have been typing on both for a few days now using iphonetypingtest.com and have realized that I type about the same on both devices!

    Just some food for thought.
  15.    #35  
    Yeah, I am also getting better with the keyboard.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Seeing these pics makes me all excited again about the Palm Pre. I just wish it didn't have so many bugs and missing features. Heck, I could deal with all that, it's the keyboard that is the deal breaker.

    I really don't want to get an iPhone, the Pre was my last best hope for avoiding. Going this weekend to the Sprint store to play with it again in hopes of maybe being able to get used to it...
    Yeah, the keyboard took me awhile to get used to, but like I said before, I am getting much better. I LOVED the iPhone's virtual keyboard, and I thought it did a great job at auto-correction, but I am beginning to like the Pre's keyboard more and more.

    But yeah, I definitely understand how iPhone owners will not like the keyboard on the Pre at first. I had the iPhone for 2 years before owning a Pre, and didnt really care for the Pre's keyboard with my first impressions. But like I said, it's getting very usable as I gain muscle memory of where the keys are.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  17. #37  
    Great review. Good pics too.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions